“Classy Four Star Experience in Ideal Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London to your Saves list
Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7UT, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #100 of 1,071 hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Classy Four Star Experience in Ideal Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

As usual, what I mostly want is a good night's sleep, and a hot shower, and the Park Plaza was absolutely Four Star, with a spacious room, lovely shower, really nice toweling, big comfortable bed, and above all, a top notch location in which Big Ben is literally in view from the front door. For a luxury stay in London, it's close to the top.

There are little niggles: because my booked room wasn't ready, I was offered a room for the handicapped, and I was fine with that. Shower, no bath. Very wide doors. All the extra hand rails and such in the bathroom. But there was no chain on the door. And the dead bolt had no notch to click into; essentially the dead bolt was useless. So other than the door's own latch, there was no extra security measure on the door. I wasn't happy about that.

The internet was supposed to be wireless, and for the 15 minutes, it worked fine. But then would suddenly cut out, and I could not reconnect. Huh? Fortunately, there is an Ethernet cable in the room, and I plugged that in, and all was good again. But the wireless seemed a bit flukey on the 2 nights I was there.

My room, on the 2nd floor, overlooked a street with a lot of traffic. The double glazing was superb, it cut out most of the noise, and I slept okay, but if you are a light sleeper, you would indeed hear the loud motorcycles and such, so this is not an ideal room for light sleepers.

I cannot say anything about breakfast. My booking didn't include it, and it was pricey. And I just don't each that big of a breakfast, easier to go out. Porridge and toast and tea is all I need.

Climate control worked nicely, no temperature problems. Check-in was friendly; check-out was friendly; they stored my bags for me, no problem. The concierge was helpful in locating a few pubs.

A lovely stay, excepting that security concern, and that going out for breakfast was the better option.

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up if you want a view, but quieter. All outside views leak in a bit of traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear tomcoppinger,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Although our accessible rooms are used for dual purpose, accessible rooms only do not dead bolt or have door chains within the hotel for heath and safety and emergency reasons, however, the rooms are secure and safe.

Re. the wi-fi, we are soon to schedule an upgrade and this will greatly help with our wireless service. Glad to see our triple glazing is working!

Also, just a note about breakfast, our Illy cafe on the ground floor is a great alternative option.

5,016 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We've been there in April, the location is very good. Walking distance to some central touristic places, 10-15 min drive with a cab ( ca. 13 pound one way) to michelin starred restaurants. But the customer service is bad and this is the worst part with this hotel. if you do not claim and nag, you won't be heard and it might ruin your stay completely. There are number of people working there, but the communication level among them is very weak, which is reflected on guests satisfaction. I got the feeling that the reception personal lack cognition what costumer satisfaction are and how to achieve higher level of it. I would definitely suggest managers within this hotel to create some coaching groups for the personal in order to teach them how they should treat their guests. At the end of the day the building, rooms are good. But the service level need to be improved. The stay can not be perfect, when it is ruined by people working there.

I would not stay there again, just because of the incompetent service personal.
( in the same time i can not assert that everyone lack the competence, but unfortunately personal which were assisting us was definitely lacking customer satisfaction understanding. )

An other thing is the cleaning of the rooms, i would say it was a disaster...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Ana,

Thank you for your review, however, of course, I’m disappointed that you had an unusually poor experience on your recent stay.

Our silver lining is that this unfortunate lapse in service was not attributed to our entire team and following my earlier correspondence, I look forward to hearing from you soon to enable my team and I to arrange the appropriate refresher training and coaching.

My team and I look forward to serving you better on your next visit to London.

Manorville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a room overlooking Big Ben. The sound-proofing must be good as my concerns about being woken up every fifteen minutes never materialized. This is not a cheap hotel, but the room was spacious for London. The restaurant wasn't very exciting, but you are in the center of London so you shouldn't be eating in. The same can be said of the bar. Very sterile; but there are a ton of traditional pubs within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review JackMor11, glad you enjoyed our location and that Big Ben didn’t keep you up all night!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and central to some major attractions and the tube (metro/subway). The hotel staff is very welcoming and helpful. We were offered to upgrade our room for about 25 pounds a night and it was worth it. They also took Discover/Diners club which is rare in London (this card had not foreign transaction fees). The hotel is very chic and beautifully designed with great views of Big Ben and the House of Parliament. The rooms are very spacious and the beds were super comfy. The bathrooms and shower were also very clean and worked great. The room service which is available 24/7 is really fantastic every time. The food was always great. The hotel also has a great bar/lounge area where you can have breakfast and lunch and dinner with cocktails. The lounge is always pretty full and has music at night themed differently.The also have an amazing French restaurant. Everything we ordered was just delicious. I would def recommend the scallops and macaroon dessert. The cocktails are also pretty darn good. The hotel is walking distance Big Ben, The London Eye, Aquarium, Tate Modern, Westminster Abbey and some fun restaurants. Its also short walk to/from the tube/metro that takes you to Oxford street, Tower Hill/London Tower and many more stops. I also highly recommend doing the Baths, Windsor Castle and Stone Hedge Tour. Its pretty fun and amazing with transportation provided from the hotel and they stop you close back where you can take a taxi or metro back to the hotel. Walk with a rain jacket because it get rainy, comes off and on and sometimes really really windy. Umbrellas don't stand a chance. Other than that, its pretty wonderful hotel with a great staff, food and rooms close to a lot of attractions. Also if you are taking the train to Paris, pack light.

Room Tip: Ask if you can be upgraded for a about 25 pounds extra per night to a room with a living space or if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Vtravels5050 for your detailed review.

Glad you enjoyed our amazing location, our comfy beds, a great dining experience in Brasserie Joel and some of our wonderful cocktails in Primo Bar.

I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stay here when in London on business and its an excellent location for anything connected with Westminster and has easy access to all the tube stations. Also truly fantastic views of the Thames and the bridge at night. Rooms are spacious, quiet and modern. Really the best central London hotel I've stayed at - and there can be some real shockers in London that will cost just as much as the Park Plaza Westminster.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review Sam P and for giving us such an accolade as the best London hotel!

I hope we can welcome you back again soon and I thank you for your recommendation.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Firstly I admit only travelling here on work, so I didn't pay of it. But I have stayed in a few hotel in the UK and in Europe and am often very disappointed compared to the luxury that would buy in asia. However the Park plaza was different. A pleasant surprise.

Staff were lovely and helpful and efficient. Amazing. The rooms were large though if you want a view avoid the construction site. And for what I thought was a business hotel there were plenty of families which made the place come alive. All too often business only hotels are full of single travellers on their blackberry's chomping on their black coffees and dodgy muesli ,not here. Good breakfast, nice coffee, and some variety, good ambience.

The only negatives but they weren't really negatives, was the lack of natural light in the hotel,and the fact there were only two restaurants. The latter encouraging the a bit of exploration of what is quite a dynamic city.

All good,very happy, would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your review QueenBeeSingapore, glad that you had an enjoyable business trip.

We’re pleased to be able to provide our family guests and business travellers a great atmosphere.

For your next visit, please note we’ve got a great Starbuck-esk cafe called Illy situated on the ground floor. Illy serves a great coffee and offers another option for breakfast, lunch and dinner....definitely have look the next time you’re here, we have various promotions during the week as well as monthly promotions.

Yateley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here at short notice last night due to an emergency eye operation that my husband had at St Thomas'. The staff in the business centre would not help me in any way when I was trying to use the hotel computer to try and book a room and eventually told me there were no rooms available anywhere even though they knew that I was looking for one!
I returned to reception to book a room and was given a good deal thanks to the kindness and proffessionalism of Ali who was so helpful to me at a very difficult time.
We had to have room service as my husband had to lie down and found the food rather tastless apart from the curry. The breakfast this morning was utterly bland, the scrambled eggs were almost white and even the baked beans tasted of nothing! The stuffed mushrooms were greasy and heavy.Why no fresh orange juice or proper coffee?
We were very impressed with the staff and their courtesy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbara A,

Thank you for your review and I do hope your husband is recovering well.

I’m sorry about the confusion at Guest Services, I have shared your feedback with our Guest Services Manager and I am pleased that li was able to assist you better.

I’m sorry to note you found some of our food tasteless, this is certainly a surprise as we have recently reviewed our Room Service menu and have received positive reviews. However, I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef.

Thank you once again and I hope we can be of service to you on a more leisurely visit next time.

Hotel Manager

Been to Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London? Share your experiences!