“Very decent meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaucho

Gaucho
29 Westferry Circus | Canary Wharf, London E14 8RR, England (Formerly Goucho) (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)
020 7987 9494
Neighborhood: Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
High Wycombe
“Very decent meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Liked the location in Mayfair, one of my fave parts of London. Very dark and masculine interior with cow hide covered seats and walls which I wasn't keen on, but I suppose at least the whole cow had been used, not just the steaks! We came here because my husband loves steak and it was his treat, but I ordered the monkfish as not a fan. However, did try a bit of his steak and it was really tasty, tender and juicy. As was my monkfish. Not sure it was worth £25 though, and that was without any sides. The complimentary bread platter was just scrummy though. Service very efficient and I tried not to flinch as the waiter brought out a great big board of raw meat and explained the different cuts. Not impressed with the table we were allocated as right next to the kitchen and while it was interesting watching the chef grill away, bit was very warm and even when I had to start fanning myself with a napkin, no attempt was made to ask if we were okay. This made the meal a bit of an ordeal for me and I had to drink water rather than alcohol to keep from dehydrating. My husband was really impressed though and would go again.

Visited June 2013

Jersey, United Kingdom
“Great food, but very pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great views of the river and slightly out of the hustle and bustle of central London, we visited on a Friday evening and had pre-booked. The place is dark and the tables are close together - we could hear all of our neighbour's conversations - not a place to go for an intimate discussion!

The different cuts of steaks were explained to us by the waitress, who was quite cool, certainly not friendly, and maybe a touch patronising? Anyway, the steaks were chosen and when they arrived, were faultless, and 2 sides between us 2 was just the right amount.

We had 2 starters, 2 steaks, 2 sides, a bottle of one of the cheapest wines, a cocktail and a brandy and it came to £140. It would be easy to spend £100 a head if you had desserts, coffee and a more expensive wine. I would therefore class this as only for a special treat, and to ring ahead to try and agree your table so you're not elbow to elbow with the next table.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kanata
“Dont hesitate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Always the same quality food and good service at all the Gouchos that I have ever been. We never have to wait too long.
Wine selection is good and priced correctly

Visited February 2013
Yorkshire
“Good but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a great location with a nice view outside of the river and the shard. Lighting in this place is very limited and it is quite dark. The steaks are good but you have to pay for additional sides, the wine is good but also pricey. 2 of us ate here with starters, 2 steaks, 2 sides, 1 dessert and a coffee with a bottle of white which came to over £100. The helpings are not large so if you have a big appetite this may not be the place for you. Despite all this it's usually very busy and in the daytime seems to be popular with business men and women.

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing steak but at a price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I ate here as part of a party of four for a business lunch, so thankfully I was not having to pay the bill. The food, particularly the steak, was top quality. My steak just melted in my mouth and the flavour was amazing (I had the marinated fillet steak with a peppercorn sauce). However if I was paying the bill myself I am not sure I could justify spending £45 on the steak alone, with extra for the sides.

We had a very pleasant lunch, the service was good, unobtrusive and the staff were knowledgable. However there was quite a wait for the food, which was not a problem for us as we were enjoying a leisurely lunch, but if you were restricted for time it could be a problem.

I also agree with the other reviews, the restaurant is too dark, particularly the toilets, where it was almost too dark to see in the cubicles. It was nice to get back out into daylight again.

I would visit again, as I do like a good steak, but probably only if someone else was paying!

• Visited March 2013