“Amazing boutique hotel with even better service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Arch London

You added The Arch London to your Saves list
The Arch London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Great Cumberland Place | Marble Arch, London W1H 7FD, England (Marylebone)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free 2 day 'London Pass'
Ranked #6 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Stuttgart, Germany
“Amazing boutique hotel with even better service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous weekend in London, celebrating our anniversary at The Arch Hotel. The service is top notch. From the moment we started the check-in process, including a personal congratulations on our anniversary, the staff proved themselves to be friendly and extremely competent. Staff at hotels of this caliber can often seem removed and chilly, but the men and women at The Arch revealed warm personalities and a true desire to operate at the top of their craft.
The room was a bit small, but we expected that in a London boutique hotel and what they lacked in size, they made up for in luxury. Every last detail was thought of, to include an ipod charger and complimentary soft drinks. (When was the last time you didn't pay $8 for a bottle of water at a nice hotel?!) The bed was luxurious. Period.
Location is great - shopping, restaurants, and short walk to the Underground. Cleanliness was fantastic (and this is coming from someone who is obsessive about hotel cleaning.) The food and drinks were gourmet and lovely.

Really, we loved the hotel, but we'll be going back next year for the staff. We couldn't have asked for a better anniversary holiday!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
It was our pleasure to have you with us for your anniversary and thank you for posting such a fabulous review and for trusting us with such an important event. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and found the service to be special. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cannes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

How can someone say that the beds were not comfortable? Total rubbish! We are not the youngest travellers, and certain bits ache from time to time, including the back.

The Arch gave us a perfect place to stay for our theatre trip and Christmas Shopping. The room was not huge, but had everything we needed, and more. A super-king brilliant bed, pillows to sink into, easy to control temperature system, complimentary drinks from the mini-bar, great Nespresso coffee, free internet - and even a TV in the bath!

This will now be our home from home in London. Love it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and the kind words. I am delighted that we will be your home away from home in London and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Long Island (NY)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I traveled to London last month for business...my trip was meant to last 4 days but due to weather conditions at the airport I was there for 9. While being stuck stinks in any circumstance, The Arch London was a great place to be parked.

The hotel has been open for about a year now and everything is perfection. It is obvious they pay very close attention to detail. The rooms are gorgeous and include great value adds such as complimentary internet (not common for London) and complimentary mini bar. Even the most basic room is spacious by American standards and has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The huge bathtubs have televisions which made for a relaxing evening and to boot, a fantastic rainshower. With Sky TV (like FIOS) there were so many channels! I couldn't believe how many American shows were available. Room service is delicious and prompt. I had a mushroom risotto that was incredible. Gorgeous as it is, the best part of the hotel is its service. When I told the staff I needed to extend my stay at the last minute, they couldn't help me fast enough. I ended up flying home on Christmas Day - when the Heathrow Express doesn't run and taxis are harder to come by. The Arch London took care of everything. It didn't even enter my mind that I might encounter difficulty with finding a cab on the holiday because I knew I was in good hands.

But what really, truly set this hotel's service standards apart was an incident that happened on a Friday night. I was at a work event at The Savoy which ended very, very late - 2amish. When we were leaving we asked for a cab and The Savoy told us there weren't any available and to go down the street to a tube stop where taxis usually congregate. Not giving it much thought, me and the four girls I was with walked down to the station but the longer we waited, the angrier we got. Our company had just spent thousands of pounds at The Savoy and they couldn't get us a taxi? So we went back and I communicated my unhappiness with them. They eventually 'tried' to get us a cab but said there were very few and we'd be there awhile. So I decided to call The Arch London. Well...no more than 10 minutes later there was a taxi waiting at The Savoy for us AND The Arch London even called my cell phone to tell me the cab was waiting. And the hotel didn't just help me, but they helped my colleagues - who were not guests - get home to the suburbs of London. That spoke to me an awful lot more than my beautiful room and delicious room service.

This hotel is nothing short of outstanding in every way. You'll love it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Everybody at the Arch London was absolutely delighted to help with your recent stay and thank you for posting such a positive review. We work very hard at the Arch at trying to go that extra mile and ensure that our guest's stay is enjoyable and efficient in every way. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in London.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My colleague wrote a review whilst we have been staying at this hotel. Overall it is great but the room we were in was quite small. I was thrilled that the hotel responded to this and have moved us to a more suitable room for our 7 nigh stay. The other reviews are correct, the staff are very helpful and nice and anxious to please. Its a good boutique hotel and the bathrooms are excellent - which is amazing for a English hotel. Would come back and stay here again and in fact, I am coming back next week for another 2 days. Good location as well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for posting this review and it really was our pleasure to be able to help with the room move. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next week.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

We are currently staying at the Arch hotel. Its a nice boutique hotel in London but we are here for 7 nights and I am staying in a room with my colleague and we booked the executive room as its the top room before you get into a suite but it is very very small. Too small to stay in for 7 nights. The bathrooms are very nice and the rooms are clean and new looking but if you are clostrophobic dont consider this hotel. We usually stay at Langham hotels or Westins and I have previously stayed in the Langham in London and for the same price I was in a much larger room which really made all the difference. It was the club floor so the cocktails were included and breakfast. The Arch has done a good job but I dont rate the 'executive' level room and only for that reason would choose another hotel for the rest of my business trips. Room service dinner one night was quite average although the breakfast is pretty good in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for posting the review and it was my pleasure to talk to you this evening. I am delighted that we have been able to move your room to a larger one and thank you for all the positive points you mentioned. As I mentioned we are a townhouse hotel and therefore do not have an club floor but all our Public Areas are available for all guests to sit and relax. I hope that we resolved the room size to your satisfaction and will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed at The Arch with my mother on a recent trip to London, just for one night. We needed to be close to Marylebone and The Arch was one of the closest and nicest. We were greeted upon arrival by a porter helping us out of our taxi (very nice touch) and shown to the front desk, which is very welcoming with big leather seats! Our bags were carried to our room and we were shown inside. What a fantastic room, very nice decor, and extremely plush! All soft drinks in the mini bar are complimentary, there was fresh milk and a nespresso machine. All very nice touches! The WIFI is free throughout the hotel and the connection speed is very good!
The beds were very comfortable, nice big duvet, and great pillows! Sky HD in the room, and a TV in the bath. The toiletries in the bathroom were beautiful as well. There was no breakfast order card in the room, but upon calling reception one was sent up within less than a minute! Great service. We ate dinner at the Hunter restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was fantastic and service excellent! Breakfast was enjoyed in the room and was delicious! We will definitely be returning to The Arch London. Thank you so much to all the staff who made it a wonderful, but sadly short, stay!

• Stayed January 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I've stayed for two nights from Dec 31st to January 2nd. Let me start by saying that the hotel looks great. The entrance, lobby, restaurant and rooms are cosy and romantic. A perfect fit for any couple. However there are few things that could be improved at the Arch.

1. VAT isn't included in the price. So please be aware of an extra charge of around 40 GBP a night. (ofcourse depending on the daily rate)

2. On the first day of our stay we visited Borough market and returned to the hotel with some cheese and croissants. I asked the receptionist for a plate, vork and knife. The girl said she thought this wasn't possible. "The only way to get a plate at your room is to order roomservice". (????????) Finally I got one. But when staying at a five star hotel, such a request should be followed up instantly.

3. The rooms of a five star hotel should be quiet and well isolated. This isn't the case at The Arch. Ofcourse it's an 19th century building but still I expect such a hotel to have quiet rooms. There is a constant sound of people walking, running water, doors slamming and elevators going up and down. These sounds are ofcourse normal to a hotel but you expect the structure of the hotel to be more solid. The walls and floors are just not thick enough to absorbe the noise. Because of the noise we made three room switches. I must say the staff was very helpful in getting me a more quiet room, unfortunately without succes.

3. Service charges for the concierge to call the Tube for service information (he offered this himself) of 75P and 2.63 GBP for bringing a plate to my room. (This should be included)

I travel a lot and often stay in business hotel chains like Sofitel. This time I booked a slightly more romantic hotel because I stayed there with my girlfriend. Next time I will book a Sofitel kind of hotel to make sure the rooms are quiet. After all sleeping is the most important aspect of a hotel stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you for posting such an honest review of your recent stay. I was naturally very disappointed to read all the points raised by you and will ensure that every point raised is discussed with the relevant members of my staff. I am equally sorry that you experienced some interruption and noise disturbance depsite us trying to resolve the situation. Like most London 5 star hotels, our rates do not include VAT and I am currently investigating the issue regarding the service charge. Should you wish to discuss this with me, my email address is beccy.gunn@thearchlondon.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Been to The Arch London? Share your experiences!