“The only place in London” 5 of 5 stars

Dean Street Townhouse
69 - 71 Dean Street, London W1D 4QJ, England (Soho)   |
Ranked #28 of 1,062 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“The only place in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

There is no other place for me to stay in London, Location is wonderful, restaurant is great and service is just lovely. This non pretentious little gem is what you need after a 8 hour flight. In buzzing SOHO, close to everything and yet secluded. Quiet rooms, amazing bathrooms with the best products ever. All my meetings I had in the restaurant as it is just lovely. Cowshed spa around the corner, Virgin gym around the corner. Hotels in London I find a disaster, either over the top old luxury with bars filled of prostitutes or the so called wannabe ‘’cool’’ hotels. Dean Street town house is chic, happening in its own way and very chilled.

Room Tip: book the large or extra large, medium is also ok
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

By staying in this hotel one can really imagine how the rich lived in the eighteenth century. It is fabulous but not pretentious. It is a Georgian townhouse, lovingly decorated using beautiful colours and very high quality furnishings and fabrics.

Rooms are lovely, beds, pillows and duvets all very luxurious. There is coffee, with cafetiere , tea, biscuits all of a very high quality, a mini bar (charged as extra) should you require it but water is not charged for which is always a joy, I really hate walking into a hotel room and finding a ridiculous price tag on a bottle of water. The products in the bathroom are Cowshed which is fabulous. There is also a basket in the bathroom full of all those products that one may have forgotten i.e. razor, toothbrush, and toothpaste etc. - so thoughtful, only a nail file missing!

Breakfast is excellent with top quality products beautifully served. Service was a little slow on the Sunday morning we were there which was quickly corrected with a sudden influx of staff!

What is really good is the location of this hotel. It is in the centre of Soho which means there is no shortage of bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance, however Dean Street itself is quite quiet at night with just the lovely Quo Vadis restaurant and bar opposite, so definitely no all night revellers!

The hotel has a great bar and restaurant so there is hardly a need to venture out of this wonderful place if you just want to relax. The staff are all charming and helpful too. Just go and enjoy, you won't regret it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

CowShed products are the best! What a treat to check in and have a bath using all their wonderful product selection. (Splurge for a larger room with a bath in the center). Loved the location- close to shopping and theatre. Very friendly and helpful staff. Feels very English but also very contemporary- nice combo. Restaurant has a real buzz at night - feel like you are "where it is all happening". Two complaints- the rugs shed and there is no clothes brush in the room (after dressing pants looked like I had a long haired dog) and clock was without a battery when I arrived. Shouldn't have to ask. . Will go back for sure.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

great location, great staff, great atmosphere, great breakfast, love the broom cupboard,,,,small but perfect. the cowshed products great. comfy beds. not cheap but loved it. have stayed 3 times. will be back. ..............................

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife went to London for her 30th and as a suprise I booked this hotel. We paid 260 for a tiny room, and although it is advertised as tiny and other review's say it is ok size, for a 6,2" man I was pretty shocked when I walked in (it is tiny to the point where parts of the room almost feel inaccessible) After the shock of that we settled in nicely the room had everything we needed all the cowshed and toiletries you could ever need for a weekend plasma tv on the wall with sky + and dvds etc. The highlight of the place for us at least was that we booked in for dinner in the restaurant we arrived at 745 a little early but were seated straight away. Service was brilliant as was the food (we ate at the ivy the following day and it was no comparison to dean street in service or food) 2 course 's each and a bottle of wine took the bill to around 100 inclusive of service but I did have a hug ribeye steak! We did plan to go to a few bars in Soho but felt that as we were in the best 1, we stayed until close and were looked after by the staff well. It is quite a celeb haunt and certainly saw faces we recognized coming to get some quiet time .and nice food. Breakfast the following moring on the terrace was also fantastic sitting with the heaters on people watching and mikey in reception is a nice helpful chap. All in all if I had the money I would use this place a lot its very sexy stylish hotel 100 meters from oxford street. Big thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Not sure where the previous guest was staying because it couldn't have been the Dean Street Townhouse?! I am a regular hotel guest at a myriad of hotels around the world because of my job. I have never (and I mean NEVER) stayed at such a wonderful hotel. A bespoke, boutique hotel in the middle of Soho with an exceptional staff, gorgeous welcoming rooms, fabulous restaurant, enticing bar, luxurious bathrooms with proper rainforest showers creating a feeling like you've just got home - but better!! The reception staff are not only friendly, efficient, professional, discrete with an amazing eye for detail they are a group of those rare breed of individuals working in the hospitality industry who care, truly care about their guests and the hotel they work in. Nothing is too much trouble and they make you feel like everything is a pleasure for them to do for you. You get a smile from everyone yet completely professional from the room service staff to the housekeeping staff who are always happy to find you anything that would make your room more comfortable for you. There is no such thing as a rating above 100% but if there was this hotel would be well above that and completely off the scale of gorgeous! Recommend it to anyone - with the exception of those Soho Hotel guests who didn't take the time to recognise that the two hotels can't be compared. For me it's Dean Street every time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sligo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Intrigued by the glowing reviews on this site, as well as the positive press coverage of this guesthouse, I decided to forgo a stay at my usual London favorite The Soho Hotel and try Dean St Townhouse instead. I was sorry that I did. This place is nothing to write home about.
Essentially this place is a guesthouse - not the last word in luxury accommodation. However it charges as though it were five star hotel and herein lies the problem.

The place is pokey, both behind reception and along the corridors upstairs. The lift is tiny, and throughout our stay was in use constantly by cleaning, dining and maintenance staff ferrying trolleys, sacks of bedding and trays about the place. These guys are only going about their daily toil but it is clear that a staff lift is needed. Where I do have a problem is that on almost every occasion the staff member, rather than ask which floor the guest is going, hurriedly hit the button first. So you often find yourself in the basement having to step off the lift to allow cleaning staff to unload their trolleys and towels etc. before you can continue what sould have been a short journey to your floor

We booked a "bigger" room which was cramped by the standards of a deluxe room at The Soho, although you are paying the same price. The decor is tasteful but rather bland. The bathroom was tiny and had no shelving that could be used by guests for their own cosmetics. Instead every surface was taken up with Cowshed products. The provision of these products is generous but I found that I did not like them particularly, and there was no getting away from them in the bathroom.

Cleanliness is an issue here. The bathroom was not properly cleaned throughout our entire stay. Surfaces in the bathroom, including the shower, had a grimy appearance and I noted they were not wiped down daily and spills of cosmetics remained until I cleaned them myself. At one point I dropped something onto the lower shelf of the bedside locker and was shocked at the amount of dust I encountered trying to retrieve it. The other thing is that room service tended to come at 3 or 4 pm each day - often the time that you want to use your room for a mid afternoon rest. I found this ridiculous for a hotel with only 39 rooms

The service is friendly as far as greeting you at reception goes, but not thorough by any means beyond that. We encountered a number of small problems. The lock on our bedroom door was hanging off (you would NEVER see that at The Soho) and although I mentioned it twice to reception it remained hanging off for the duration of our 5 day stay. On another occasion room service had neglected to renew the water or milk in our room. I had to mention this to reception 3 times before it was finally sent up. Finally we were charged for champagne and wine from the mini bar that we did not have. These kind of things do not give you any confidence in those manning the hotel.

If you are paying in Euro beware - without asking me the hotel charged me in Euro at their own rate of 1.30 rather than in Sterling which would have been something like 1.20. I will never return and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dean Street Townhouse? Share your experiences!