I spend one weekend in London before Christmas and wasn't expecting too much from this hostel, but was surprised at the end.
I decided to stay there just by the location, even if it isn't quite central, but it was because I needed to go to Vauxhall, and this one where the closest available and with a reasonable price when I booked (just 4 days in advance).
It is located in a nice and quiet neighbourhood, but a bit far from the metro. The closest one (Pimlico) is a few (15) minutes walking, which under the English weather at that time of the year may be far too much.
The advantage is that there is a bus stop virtually in front of the hostel, as you can see by the picture I uploaded. The buses run 24 hours to Central London, taking 23 minutes to get to Leicester Square. And the other advantage is that the bus is cheaper than the metro :-).
When I got there I was a bit confused, because the entrance is in fact the pub door, and the reception in fact is the pub bar. Then the nice lady came to me and to my surprise she already knew that I was coming, she probably read the reservation list in advance, and she needn't ask my foreign last name twice.
As in other hostels, you have to do your bed. But you have bed sheet, duvet cover, pillow case and towel included on the price. All clean and resembling quite new.
There is a big locker close to the beds, and they can provide the padlock for a small fee.
The shared toilets and showers are very clean and new, and I hadn't any problem finding one available.
The breakfast was a bit simple comparing to the British standards. Toasts, jelly, orange juice, milk and cereals.
On Saturday night the 12 bed room was crowded, and I needed my earplugs, probably like in any other hostel in a big European city.
Before checking out I tried to shave but the sockets weren't working. Probably someone used a hair-dryer there and blew the fuse. I contacted the reception and the guy explained the problem and was very helpful, even offering me access to private rooms, which I did. These private rooms, for 2 or 3 people, are really really nice. The #3 have a balcony facing the Thames, lots of sunshine, TV, DVD, etc. But they aren't listed as hostel rooms to book on the websites I tried.
- Also Known As:
- Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea Hotel London
- Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea Hotel
- Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea London, England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Travel Joy Hostels is a relaxed and chilled-out hostel which focuses on personal service.We are the only London hostel overlooking the river. We are extremely centrally located between Chelsea and The Houses of Parliament.We provide free tea/coffee/soft drinks to residents at all times, free linen/towels, free earplugs, Wi-Fi in the entire building and free continental breakfast. There are no hidden costs.There is bicycle dock and a 24 hour bus outside the door that goes every ten minutes to Victoria Station, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Soho, Oxford Street and Camden.We have a Thai and European restaurant on site and a tour and theatre tickets desk.We have PC's in the lounge area which can be accessed for a small fee.Our large bar below the hostel is a great place to relax and socialise. Our building offers all modern facilities and guests can feel very safe and comfortable.Our check-in time is from 14:00 - 23.30. If you are early you can leave your luggage in our secure luggage storage area. Check-out is 11:00 with breakfast from 07:30 - 10:30.We can assure you that your stay with Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea will be enjoyable and relaxing and give you a wonderful taste of Central London.We also have Salsa Classes on Wednesdays, an Open Mic Night on Fridays and Live Music on Saturdays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and HostelBookers so you can book your Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.