“Rafayel on the Left Bank is a Gem for Business Travelers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
34 Lombard Road | Falcon Wharf, London SW11 3RF, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #121 of 1,073 hotels in London
Groton, Massachusetts
“Rafayel on the Left Bank is a Gem for Business Travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I recently went to London on a business trip for one week and had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Rafayel in Battersea.

Prior to my stay at the Rafayel, my biggest concern about staying in Battersea was my ability to get into London for appointments easily and without inconvenience or delay. Having been to London on prior occasions I knew that location can be a friend to the business traveler who will be taking appointments in various parts of London.

When I inquired with The Rafayel about this concern they were quite confident that I would not be inconvenienced by the location and reassured me that their shuttle service to both Clapham Junction (overground train station) and Clapham Common (underground tube station) would be accessible and reliable. This was certainly the case for me. All I needed to do was book the time I would need to leave the hotel for appointments and the shuttle service was ready to take me on my way..

For me, this was of paramount importance as I was in meetings the whole week I stayed in London. The fastest way to get around London is definitely by Tube so once you're in the system you're on your way.

Other pluses about the hotel - price, luxury, "green environment", service, and restaurant. The hotel provided a great value for the price compared with other hotels I looked at in London, no question here. I stayed in the Yangtze room which had a view overlooking the Thames, a nice touch. A comfy bed and large bathroom were highlights for me and a wonderful shower to relax in at the end of a long day. I especially appreciated the cleanliness of my room too. I could look forward to returning to my hotel each evening. Additionally, the hotel is one of a few "Green" approved luxury hotels.

The Banyon restaurant was also a plesure to frequent as I had breakfast each morning there - a full english buffet which was wonderful. I also ate there for dinner one evening and had the best meal of my stay in London.

Finally, but certainly not least important was the service the Hotel provided. My trip was business related and therefore I had quite a few special requiests for the staff. They were all very helpful and responsive. I couldn't have been happier with the level of service they provided.

When I return to London I will certainly be staying at the Rafayel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

1,200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
St. Helier, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

We stayed at the Rafayel at the end of October whilst visiting family. This hotel has some really good points but I fell is let down by management of the staff.

Good points:

Bedrooms - large, very modern rooms with some lovely extras - TV in bathroom (although this didn't work during our stay), free wifi, the most comfortable bed I have slept in, mini bar, room safe etc My requests made at the time of booking were all actioned which was also pleasing.

Shuttle buses - these go every half an hour to Clapham common or Junction and are very handy. The driver was also really nice.

General decor - just to me taste (apart from the large decorative chain hanging from the ceiling in reception), very modern, nicley appointed, stylish.

Food - we only ate once in the restaurant but the views were fantastic, they were offering 50% off so very good value and the food was really nice as well.

The cocktails were very good and well priced and the barman was nice.

Bad points:

No one seems to manage the staff here:

There were members of staff smoking at the front entrance in uniform which does not give a good impression.

Whilst eating lunch a painter started painting a wall next to us which I would not expect to see in a cafe let alone this restaurant. Note to maintenance department - paint fumes whilst eating are not pleasant.

There were constantly workmen everywhere by the front entrance and reception. Although this didn't really effect our stay it does give a bad first impression for guests arriving.

1 receptionist was lovely but I cannot remeber her name, the others gave the impression that we were disturbing them every time we came to the desk.

The information about the hotel in the rooms could have been more detailed.

In all it was a pleasant stay and I would return so perhaps I am being picky with the negative points I recorded. However, if the same attention to detail was given to the levels of service and staff customer care training as it has with the decor and and styling this hotel really would be excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rafayel, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable review and pointing out our weaknesses. We are conscious of our staff’s limitations and continue to train them diligently. Being equal-opportunity employers and adhering to a conscientious social policy, we have taken on board some staff who are struggling to cope with the demands of the hospitality industry, which sometimes leads to certain shortcomings to which we admit. Moreover, because of our special prices and packages, we are compelled to make certain adjustments and give opportunities to ambitious determined people looking to make a positive career change. This is the reason we have implemented continuous training programmes in health and safety, first aid, guest relations etc. to improve the level of services.

Once again, we appreciate your valuable input. It is reviews like yours that serve as further impetus to enhance the quality of our establishment.

We look forward to your continued patronage.

Kind regards,

Management
Hotel Rafayel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I recently stayed at the Rafayel Hotel and booked there 1 night Spa Break. The hotel provided a very quick and friendly pick up/drop off services to and from Clapham Junction as we checked in a gentleman that worked at the hotel kindly took us up to our room and showed us around. We stayed in The Thames-View room it was very spacious and exactly how it was described in details on the website with an amazing view of the river Thames.
The hotel's restaurant The Banyan on Thames provided a variety of mouth watering dishes with an excellent service and a view of the river Thames. Highly recommended to couples on special occasions or even a birthday.
All staff members at the hotel were very friendly and approachable the therapists at the Well-Being Spa were also good in there work.
I will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed here for one night (Saturday), in two rooms as we were a group of five girls on a weekend trip to London. We had a fantastic time and would recommend the hotel to others.

Check in - we were early so our room wasn't ready yet, but they stored our bags for us and when we came back later they had been transferred to the rooms. The staff here were welcoming and check in was very quick.

The rooms - We had two rooms (Amazon rooms), one made up as a triple. Both rooms were large, nicely decorated and furnished. The bathrooms were very impressive, in one room in particular (221) as this had a large shower and separate bath. The TV in the bathroom didn't work (which I had read in a review before going), it didn't bother us but does seem to have not been working for a while and really is something that should get sorted out. Despite having interconnecting doors in both rooms we were not disturbed by noise at all, with all of us commenting on how quiet it had been. However we were woken on Sunday morning by a helicopter landing at the heliport next door.

The restaurant - We ate in the Banyan on the Saturday night, all of us were impressed with this place. Service was a little slow to start, but they were fully booked. However the food arrived quickly and was very good (we can recommend the Prawns in the Garlic Sauce to start and the Mongolian Lamb and Chilli Beef for mains, all were delicious) and with the food being discounted by 50%, even including the drinks our bill was only £20 each, fantastic value.

The Spa - we didn't have any treatments but did use the sauna and jacuzzi, which were very nice and we had the place to ourselves at 9am on the Sunday. The steam room was not working however but we did see someone trying to fix it. Nice touches included each locker containing a big fluffy towel, bathrobe and slippers.

Location - if you want to be right in the middle of everything in London then this probably isn't the best choice for you. We did find it very easy to get around, but it did take time. The 170 bus stops right outside the hotel, goes to Victoria station every 10 minutes and normally takes around 20 mins (though there were major delays for us on the Saturday night, coming back to the hotel it took us over an hour). There is a shuttle service to take you to Clapham Common which takes about 20 mins, and from there for example it takes about 45 mins to get to Paddington. As others have pointed out if this hotel was more central then it would be considerably more expensive. I would happily return to this hotel and compromise the location for the fantastic rooms and service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

This is most definitely not a luxury hotel. The hotel is scruffy on arrival & the personnel scruffy too. Service at the check-in desk is poor, with the guy ignoring us until he finished his other jobs. We were shown to a room that stank of smoke & when I asked to be moved I was told that "I must be very sensitive to smoke"!!

The rooms are noisy with constant ventilation noise going on through the night.

We booked a cab for early on the morning that we were leaving & some random guy turned up (a friend of the guy on the check-in?) who wasn't a taxi or a hackney cab & charged us £10 for a 4 mile journey. Dodgy & probably illegal?

The only plus is that the rooms are a good size & wifi is free. However I wouldn't recommend staying here, find another hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Rafayel, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
“Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to emphasise on the point that while we welcome constructive criticism from our guests wholeheartedly, doing our best to incorporate suggestions and recommendations, we do take exception to unwarranted criticism that does complete injustice to the quality and standard of our hotel.
Even our worst critics have lauded us for our stunning design and quality, the hotel’s entrance is decorated with designed products. More often than not we see customers astounded with our lobby. Therefore it is rather harsh on your part to be so severe in your review.
We have always had excellent reviews of our staff. This is due to the fact that we have instilled the ‘customer is king’ factor in all service areas of the hotel. However, we regret if you felt unattended when you arrived. We feel it’s not fair to judge the whole establishment based on the one incident. We are a strictly non-smoking hotel although unfortunately we do have the occasional guest who may not comply with our policies.
We have made enquiries regarding the taxi in the morning and have identified that it was a car from one of our registered local mini-cab companies with whom we have agreed discounted rates. 10 Pounds for a 4 mile journey should be considered non expensive in London compared to other cab services.
We thank you for staying with us and look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again.”

Chris de Saram
Operations Manager
swindon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

For a luxury boutique 5 star hotel, the Rafayel delivers in looks but lacks in service. I walked into the lobby and up to the check in desk (which was devoid of any other customers and had 2 members of staff) to be studiously ignored for some time, when I did manage to get the attention of the receptionist I gave my details and then they continued with whatever it was they were doing before dealing with my booking - not a good sign and yet as things were to come..The room was stunning, huge and with a fabulous bathroom and a comfy bed, however, we had an appalling nights sleep - the interconnecting doors constantly rattled and at least twice during the night the main door was attempted by drunken guests seemingly unable to locate their own rooms- oh and when our neighbours did arrive back about 4am we could hear every grunt and groan - lovely. So the next morning I asked to be moved and about 2pm ( fair enough they were fairly busy I think) we were moved - this time to a much smaller room which made us wonder whether we'd been downgraded, we were just grateful to be tucked away near the spa with no interconnecting doors at this point, however there was no wifi coverage and the television was positioned in such a manner to make night time bathroom trips a veritable obstacle course! The next morning we tried to phone down to ask for a later check out (which they begrudgingly allowed us) this took some time - we were constantly put through to answer machine. As for the rest of the stay - how long is the soft opening - those tantalizing tellys in the bathroom still don't work and the shuttle service is a nice idea but finishes way too early and some of the driving felt plain dangerous ( apart from our last trip - comfy and courteous thank you ). All in all dissapointing.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Rafayel last night with my boyfriend. Hotel was great, staff are very helpful and the rooms were very nice and high tech! My boyfriend loved the features on the tv, you can set the room temp, turn lights on and off and listen to a range of music all while you lay on the bed! Definitely will return to this hotel when we stay in London again. Good size bedroom, beautiful bathroom. Only thing it was lacking was a plug socket by the mirror so I could do my hair this morning but that was it. I was a bit worried it would be noisy because we were at the front of the hotel but couldn't hear a thing! The shuttle service to and from Clapham Junction was great too!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!