“not impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
34 Lombard Road | Falcon Wharf, London SW11 3RF, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #119 of 1,075 hotels in London
swindon
“not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

For a luxury boutique 5 star hotel, the Rafayel delivers in looks but lacks in service. I walked into the lobby and up to the check in desk (which was devoid of any other customers and had 2 members of staff) to be studiously ignored for some time, when I did manage to get the attention of the receptionist I gave my details and then they continued with whatever it was they were doing before dealing with my booking - not a good sign and yet as things were to come..The room was stunning, huge and with a fabulous bathroom and a comfy bed, however, we had an appalling nights sleep - the interconnecting doors constantly rattled and at least twice during the night the main door was attempted by drunken guests seemingly unable to locate their own rooms- oh and when our neighbours did arrive back about 4am we could hear every grunt and groan - lovely. So the next morning I asked to be moved and about 2pm ( fair enough they were fairly busy I think) we were moved - this time to a much smaller room which made us wonder whether we'd been downgraded, we were just grateful to be tucked away near the spa with no interconnecting doors at this point, however there was no wifi coverage and the television was positioned in such a manner to make night time bathroom trips a veritable obstacle course! The next morning we tried to phone down to ask for a later check out (which they begrudgingly allowed us) this took some time - we were constantly put through to answer machine. As for the rest of the stay - how long is the soft opening - those tantalizing tellys in the bathroom still don't work and the shuttle service is a nice idea but finishes way too early and some of the driving felt plain dangerous ( apart from our last trip - comfy and courteous thank you ). All in all dissapointing.

1,189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Rafayel last night with my boyfriend. Hotel was great, staff are very helpful and the rooms were very nice and high tech! My boyfriend loved the features on the tv, you can set the room temp, turn lights on and off and listen to a range of music all while you lay on the bed! Definitely will return to this hotel when we stay in London again. Good size bedroom, beautiful bathroom. Only thing it was lacking was a plug socket by the mirror so I could do my hair this morning but that was it. I was a bit worried it would be noisy because we were at the front of the hotel but couldn't hear a thing! The shuttle service to and from Clapham Junction was great too!

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Me and my partner stayed at the Rafayel hotel this weekend October 2010. It was amazing, we had one of the amazon rooms at the end of the coridoor so it had floor length windows all round which was great. The room itself was huge and had a really big bathroom.

We ate at the Banyan on Thames restaurant on Friday night which was really good, the hotel also has a 50% off deal at the moment so it was affordable.

The hotel runs a shuttle service every half an hour to clapham common or clapham junction, but we needed to go to battersea power station and the driver gladly took us straight there.

There is a bus stop straight outside the hotel (bus 170) which goes directly to victoria.

i would definitely stay at this hotel again and recomend to a friend.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Location:
Next to Battersea Heliport (the helicopters dont impinge) and by the river. While you might think no-one would want to stay south of the river, this is actually quite convenient. A great bus service goes past the door to victoria (the owner gave me an oyster card to try it out - neat piece of customer service!), and Clapham junction is reasonably close. The hotel has parking.

The room:
Had a thames view room (only half a dozen of the rooms here have river views) above the restaurant. Not huge, but comfortable and well appointed, with the accent on stylish modern quality. The bed was outstanding. The room's standards are well up to five star apart from size. The non-river view rooms are a bit larger.

The bathroom:
impressive but bathless! Only a large shower. Personally I like baths, and to get one you have to have a suite, but the shower was a good one.

The public areas:
smart, if a bit quirky. There is a rooftop bar area you can book for parties, and a huge pary room inside with panoramic river views. The restaurant was good, though the staff clearly need a bit more training (this is a new property after all)

Overall:
A great little hotel which gives £300 value for less than £200. If you dont have to be in central london this is an excellent compromise. I will come back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I chose the Hotel Rafayel for a base to visit a venue in Clapham.

When I phoned to book the room, the call was taken by Ike, the owner. I was impressed by his enthusiastic, friendly manner. He promised a confirmation call from one of his staff, which duly arrived. I booked a Nile room with river view.

My girlfriend and I checked in at 2pm - the room was ready, as promised. Check-in was friendly, easy and efficient. My car was vaket parked in a secure underground carpark.

We were shown to our room which featured a large, very comfortable bed, plasma screen, etc; teriffic bathroom with jacuzzi and excellent shower. The river view was rather obscured, but it was there (not sure I was given the correct room as I was offered river view or jacuzzi - not both?) There was more than ample space, including a dining area.

We ate a late lunch in the Banyan restaurant - very pleasant and reasonably priced.

A shuttle service was offered which took us directly to our venue in Clapham - great service.

On our return we headed for the bar. The staff were friendly, chatty and mixed a mean coctail. Ike joined us at the bar and proved to be excellent company. (Nice to meet you, Ike) it was getting quite late by this time, but no sign of clock-watching from the staff!

We retired for the night (morning, actually) and found the bed to be even more comforable than it looked. First class, great linen, etc.

A very good full english breakfast served in the room rounded off a most enjoyable stay.

Minus points? One or two, which are only to be expected with a fledgling business - I won't dwell on them here as I'm sure they will be addressed and the owner was aware of most of the points we raised. The absence of loo paper in the ladies' was the only really disappointing area. I realise that these things happen, but if MuckDonalds can check their facilities regularly, ...

Overall, a big 'well done' and thank you to Ike and his team.

Ok, you haven't central London location, but communications are not nearly as bad as some have made out. You're not at all far from Fulham or Chelsea, there's lots happening in Battersea, you have a shuttle service available and you're certainly not paying London prices.

As a footnote, I managed to leave a shirt in the wardrobe - a legacy of too much champagne and Mojitos, I expect. The shirt arrived at my home address this morning via first class post. Thanks again. Hope to visit again before too long.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Really good value. Room was very spaceous and well decorated. Bed was probably the best hotel bed we have tried at a hotel.
Location was not the best. Taxi from Victoria was about 10 £.
The restaurant was not the best we have tried, some dishes were good and some quite bad.

Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed for one night, having been to a theatre show in Central London. The hotel is situated in a residential area in Battersea, amoungst other modern developments. Seemed like a nice area, if isolated. The nearest station is Clapham Junction, and that suited us for work the next day. However, we paid £25 for a taxi from Central London to get there from the theatre.
The staff at the hotel are literally falling over themselves to provide good service. The hotel is quite new and well presented, although there were not many people there. We had a suite (very reasonably priced), and that was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were new and very comfortable.
We did not eat at the hotel, but had a couple of drinks in the bar. The restaurant and bar look out on to the Thames. I should imagine its very pleasant in the summer.
If this hotel was in Central London, at the price, I suspect it would be full. If youre not worried about location, or Clapham Junction is convenient, its certainly worth a look.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!