“Fabulous Hotel - Incredible Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

You added Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Lombard Road | Falcon Wharf, London SW11 3RF, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #180 of 1,065 Hotels in London
North Yorkshire
“Fabulous Hotel - Incredible Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed at the Rafayel because we were going to Earls Court and it is very handy. We had a great room overlooking the Thames, which although not huge was a quirky shape and beautifully appointed with an amazing shower room. How refreshing from the bog standard rectangle shaped bedroom that you find in a lot of hotels. There is a fabulous Spa, sauna, steam room, gym and jacuzzi and with some half price spa treatments I was in heaven. We ate in the restaurant, sitting on the terrace watching the sun set and it was wonderful. The food was quite simply delicious, an extensive selection of English and Asian food but not that awful "fusion" cooking which is the fashion. There are proper Indian dishes and proper English dishes not mixed up together. My husband is vegetarian and had a fantastic meal - the side order of onion bhajis were simply the best we have ever eaten and the creme brulee dessert - mmmmmmmmmm! At the moment food is half price for guests - and in our opinion you will not find better value and quality in London! The staff were all extremely helpful, and attentive and there is on-site secure underground parking (payable) which is useful. We absolutely LOVE this hotel and will definitely be returning. Just one small thing though, the hotel ordered us a taxi and we were really overcharged £12 to do 1.8 miles so if you need a taxi agree the price first!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We arrived at the hotel at 11.30am and were able to check in early (this was a special request made during booking as I am very bad with flights therefore I required sufficient rest). Check in was really smooth and we were able to go to our rooms straight away.

We were in the Amazon room in room 216... was spacious, amazing showers and the bed was the best bed I have ever slept on hotel-wise. Although the hotel was 5 stars, the price we paid was equivalent to your typical london shabby 4 star hotels which people merely pay for the good location. We paid £109 per night which was really good... I hope they would continue to have these prices as I would love to stay there again.

Don't be put off by the hotel's location as it is alittle far from the tubes etc, however theres a bus from Victoria that takes you straight to the hotel which takes about 15mins... I certainly didnt mind taking the bus although this has been an issue to some in the other reviews that i have read. The hotel does offer a shuttle service to the nearest train station and tube station every 30mins. This service is really good, do use it although we didnt want to abuse the service, we took the bus home every night and used the shuttle in the morning.

The Banyan restaurant is also very very good, guests have 50% off their meals there so I would highly recommend guests to try it. There is a cupcake shop at the hotel too which seemed to open at random hours... nevertheless the cupcakes are delicious!

Will definitely stay there again if the same rates apply!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Just got back from a 2 night stay at Hotel Rafayel and is quite simply the best Hotel I have ever stayed in. I chose the Nile Suite which was just capacious, the bed is 2m wide! The bathroom is huge, as big as most london hotel bedrooms, complete with a very powerful jaquizzi bath (with a plasma screen!) and amazing shower with jets. The whole room is a laden with technology, everything being controlled through the tv.
The staff could not do enough to help me enough throughout my stay, any question I asked was answered kindly and efficiently.
Rafayel is very very luxerious and really makes you feel special. It is on the river and the view especially at dusk is spectacular. Eat at Banyan on Thames.
I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at the Rafayel in July for one night when my team had a cooking class in Clapham junction for a teambuild. I had booked the hotel for the team when I received a call from the hotel that morning saying due to them overbooking would 4 of us be happy to stay in the penthouse instead?! We wereof course very excited about this, the room normally costs £4000 a night but we were only charged the standard room rate. The hotel itself is a short taxi ride from Clapham Junction tube and looks very nice from the outside.

My room was the master bedroom in the penthouse, the room had a tiny single bed in a huge room. Although I was the only one in this room, I would expect at least a double bed in a 'penthouse'. We soon realised that were had not been given a penthouse, but instead we had been given an unfinished apartment. The apartment was not connected to the hotel, there was no telephone in the room and no way to order breakfast - so we all went hungry.

My colleague had no curtains in her room and although I did have curtains, the sunlight flooded into the bright white room at 5am!! Making it impossible for me to fall back to sleep. In all, I had 3 hours sleep that night. There was no hairdryer and my towels had rips in them. The bath was rusty and the walk-in shower had no light, making it a very dark showering experience! The toiletries given to us were used, large shampoos/conditioners/toothpaste etc which looked like they were left behind from other guests. There wasn't a desk area or any suitable surfaces to place any belongings on, so I placedall my stuff on the floor when getting ready. We also found clothes and building equipment in the room's cupboards.

The attitude of the desk concierge was laid-back and frosty. My colleague booked her taxi the night before with the concierge, checked again before she went to bed and was promised it was all booked and writen down. When he came down in the morning there was no taxi and the man at the desk was unhelpful and acted as if he could care less! I also had issues getting a taxi, the hotel does not seem to have a good relationship with the taxi firm they called as I witnessed a frosty conversation between them whehn I requested a taxi into town. The hotel also offer a free taxi service to Clapham Junction for hotel guests, however I had to wait a very long time for it in the morning, only to be told the driver had managed to get lost!! Very bizarre as the station is a 10 minute driver and I would have expected him to have done this journey at least a few times before I came downstairs, even if he was new! I ended up having to be taken in one of the employee's cars...

When I checked-out in the morning I was asked by the manager/owner if I enjoyed my stay. I started to say something about how long I had waited for a taxi but was then glared at by the manager! I decided I was too tired and in a rush to make more of a complaint about my awful experience.

After 3 hours sleep, no breakfast, a very late and biarre taxi journey along with many many things wrong with my room I would strongly recommend not staying here!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Rafayel, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Dear Madam
First of all we would thank you for your comments and apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us.
The apartment you and your colleagues used is a 4000 ft. fully furnished 16th floor Penthouse with a 360 degree view of the London skyline. It is considered as one of the most beautiful apartments for its views across London. As you have acknowledged we did inform you of this relocation prior to your arrival and that it was disconnected from the hotel. The reason was that we thought that it will help in gelling activity of your corporate.
This apartment was used recently for fifteen days for a major movie with few of the most famous global actors and actresses using it expansively. Judging from the initial reactions from all of you we genuinely thought that you and your colleagues would have a pleasant experience and enjoy your stay with us. We did explain that Room Service of Breakfast was possible if the reception was informed.
All lights and linen was in perfect order when our Housekeepers prepared the apartment. Our bath room toiletries are organic products from ‘Neom’ packed in 240ml glass containers. We do not use small plastic bottles and reuseable 200ml containers. Unfortunately, the incident you refer to theTaxi Company on the following morning was due to one of our guests being overcharged. We had negotiated special rates with them on behalf of our guests and any overcharge results in our serious queries and censure.
Our representative has contacted one of your colleagues with an apology and we do sincerely hope you’ll come back and stay with us again.
Please accept our deep apologies and we thank you once again for your stay and for your critic which will help us to enhance our services further.

With Kind Regards
Chris de Saram
Operations Manager
dorset, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Not much of a review-but hope it's helpful to anyone else wishing to stay here.
I had booked to stay at this hotel, through Booking.com. on 31/8/10
I e:mailed the hotel, got my reservation number and info regarding location. The reservation department answered me accurately and quickly; so I assume the service when staying there would have been similar.
Unfortunately, I will not get to experience the hotel's delights, as the re-opening, after a recent fire, has been delayed until at least September; so be warned if you have booked there for the next few days :-(
The hotel did phone me when they were given updated info regarding the re-opening week.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Madam,

Many thanks for your review on Tripadvisor. We sincerely regret being unable to welcome you to our hotel, and would like to take this opportunity to update you and other readers of the sequence of events that took place at the building.

The fire was in the basement car park of the 17-storey Falcon Wharf building and not in the hotel itself. However our water plant, which is located in the basement, was affected and the supply of hot water to the rooms was interrupted.

As a result, we had to suspend all bookings until we could rectify the problem. A new plant was ordered immediately and we are happy to report that the hotel will recommence operations from Friday the 3rd of September.

Thank you once again for your encouraging review and we hope to welcome you to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Chris de Saram
Operations Manager
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Had the pleasure of staying with friends just before Christmas 09.
Everyone had an amazing time, was made to feel very comfortable
and were well looked after.
The Hotel is very clean and tidy with great service, they can't do enough for you.
I will continue to use Hotel Rafayel as my preferred hotel choice when staying in town.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We are regular visitors to the London and with business stay on a regular occurrance. We normally stay in the Clapham area and were very impressed by the hotel and room we stayed in.
The location, food, restuarant and rooms were all great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!