“THE BEST HOTEL IN THE UK” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Lombard Road | Falcon Wharf, London SW11 3RF, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #139 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Birmingham
“THE BEST HOTEL IN THE UK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Through business and pleasure i travel up and down the country staying in places like the Dorchester and The Ritz, I stayed over on the 5th of July at the Rafayel Hotel in Battersea with my wife for a Birthday treat, i booked the spa treatment and exercise pool during the day on sunday and than followed by a meal in the evening at the hotels restaurant, followed by a shesha also in the hotel, i asked for a Birthday Treat at midnight, they sent over a bottle of champaigne and some cup cakes courtesy of the hotel at no charge, having had the best sleep ive ever had in the morning we went for our breakfast and a jog up the embankment of the River Thames. I truly believe this better than the hotels i have previously stayed in, it offers so much more than just night to sleep not to mention the Crystal Bar absolutely stunning hotel. worth a visit you wont be disappointed as it is a family run business which gives you the extra personal touch. I run a Close Protection company and i will deffinately bringing my VIP'S to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had looked at hotels throughout London that would fit 4 and there aren't many. We considered the Rafayel after looking at the reviews.

Overall, the rooms are very nice. We walked from Clapham Junction with 2 kids without a problem. About 12 minutes. There is a Tesco Express on the way (small though). There is also and Oddbins across from the hotel.

We arrived at 3:00pm and escorted to room by a nice receptionist who gave a quick overview. Both rollaways were there. Room cleaned nicely. Nice small refer in a closet. We did not get a riverview room and didn't mind the view to the south. The tv in the bathroom didn't work.

Couple of negatives - we were in room 206 - right under the gym as I found out early the next morning as someone was dropping weights on the floor. The sound wasn't just the thud on the floor, it also made a rattling sound on the metal of the building and it reminded me of an anchor being pulled into a ship. Luckily this lasted only 30 minutes and it didn't happen the next day. You can also hear the treadmills in this room but they probably wouldn't normally wake you up.

The other thing that annoyed me was I asked the night before if we could get ride to a different tube station that is 3 miles vs. the 1 mile to go to Clapham rail station. This was due to us wanting to get to St. Pancras vs. Victoria and we would have a non-stop if we could go from the other tube station (it is on same side of river as hotel). I didn't see this as an overly burdensome request as we were traveling with luggage and children. The man at desk didn't want to do that and gave us the other alternatives - so much for a little service.

We didn't use restaurants. Wi-fi connected quickly and without problem. Safe was big enough for laptop.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Staying at Rafayel was a wonderful experience. I was visiting from the US to see friends in London and really couldn’t ask for more. It felt like I had my very own apartment in London looking over the River! The rooms were huge and really clean, amazing bed, power shower and 3 TV’s in my room! The service was attentive without being too pushy. Luckily the weather was beautiful and I used the Banyan restaurant several times – the menu was excellent with lots of different cuisines to choose from, what made it even more special was being able dine outside watching the sun set over London! I didn’t get chance to use the Spa but did have a look around –it looks amazing and they had some great packages on (maybe on my next trip over i’ll give it a try!) Great value and makes a great change from the conventional chain hotels . Will definitely recommend and stay again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Staffordshire England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

If i were visiting London only once, I would be disappointed if I chose this hotel because of it's location. It is probably great for birthday and weddding celebrations but not for tourists to London who may want to stoll around in the evening and enjoy one of London's "village" areas.

There are lots of nice touches to this hotel but it feels new and unco-ordinated. The bathroom was LOVELY and the room nicely decorated and very clean.

Valet parking - it's great to have parking under a London hotel and not pay extra but give plenty of warning when you want your car back. We asked for ours so we could load our bags and have a quick breakfast. It was suggested we leave our bags, have breakfast and the car would be ready when we were back. It wasn't.

Breakfast - was OK - fresh fruit, cereal, bread to toast. We ordered eggs but they didn't arrive.

The previous night's celebration debris was stacked up outside the windows and spoiled what should be a great location on the River.

Hoardes ( Ok - a bit of an exageration) of staff seemed to be hanging around the reception desk doing nothing in particular - this may be OK for Saturday staff in a high street sports shop but isn't in keeping with the rather nice fixtures and fittings and care that has been put into designing this hotel.

The bus service opposite the hotel is great - go left towards Sloane Square. The helipad on the other side of the hotel is a noisy nuisance, unless you are arriving by helicopter.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Greenville SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Positives:
-Rooms are nice, unique, easy to relax
-View is nice if available
-Restaurant food was very good (dinner), breakfast over priced and average
-The area is not touristy, which was refreshing, pubs and farmer's market close if you know where to look.
-Nice running/walking track next to the river

Negatives (constructive):
-Restaurant tries hard but is under staffed
-Would be nice to have a map of the area upon arrival
-No USA creature comforts like an iron, wash cloth, room service menu in the room
-Shower unique, but difficult to start and if you don't rotate the knob in the right direction you get a chest of cold water from the elegant sprayers. I did this each morning, and grew to love the wake up rush : )

Location:
About a 15 min walk to/from the Clapham station, easy after the first time. Note, the English are use to walking more than in the USA so get us to some walking

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Brighton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband took me to this hotel for my birthday and it was the most wonderful treat. It is a short cab ride away from Clapham junction but once you are there you won't want to leave the hotel anyway! The lobby is beautiful, with a florist and a cake shop, and check in was very efficient. Errol, who showed us to our room, was very welcoming and friendly. Our room!! We stayed in the Nile suite which was amazing: a luxurious jacuzzi bath, massive bathroom with twin sinks, massage/jet shower, living room area, 3 plasma screens. It was absolutely beautiful. There were also lovely chocolate brownies and a birthday card from the hotel for me which was such a thoughtful touch.
The owner was in the lobby when we were due to go to dinner and we actually ended up being invited to his son's wedding party that was happening at the hotel! This was so unexpected and very kind and we had a fantastic evening. The hotel offers such a personal service: the owner was in the lobby again next morning talking to guests.
Breakfast is lovely, relaxed buffet with full English breakfast plus continental options, overlooking the Thames.
The hotel also offers a free pick up to and from Clapham Junction which was great- driven in our own personal car after checking out!
Went to the spa for a facial- very good- lovely spa area- as you wander round the hotel everything is so beautifully finished and you won't want to leave!
Thank you to the hotel for such a lovely weekend!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I would like first to mention that the hotel rooms are nice and clean. But unfortunatly the room service , the free shuttle service , and TV are very poor, i noticed they dont have enough staff at the restaurant and i had to wait for ages to get thru to somebody on the phone in the restaurant and wait for 20 min to get a drop to the station. To be fair however on plus side, the staff are helpful and nice. I wonder whether they are hiring some models in that hotel but I'm extremely pleased to have been checked in by a so beautiful and posh young lady, I thought at the beginninh she was a model or AD subject, a so beautiful face to welcome you at the reception, interactive throughout the discussion versus to some receptionists who sound like an automatic tape, she lestenes more than she talks, she provides infos according to questions, she is among the prettiest faces I have ever seen in my life, she reminded me Catherine-zeta jones , but the former had a surgery... whereas the latter looks very naturel, She was so kind to take me to the room and she refused to take the tip, very striking beauty , I'm still wondering about the origine of that amazing beauty !! It's just wow, something special about that hotel .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!