“I LOVE IT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

You added Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Lombard Road | Falcon Wharf, London SW11 3RF, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #194 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“I LOVE IT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times it's profound service by staff has been consistent for years. The rooms are perfect, location is great also. Restaurant over looks the water, spa and gym is lovely.
Heidi

• Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I booked a two night stay in this hotel as a treat for my partner and I and also due to other social events nearby.

I firmly believe that first impressions last and unfortunately in this case my first impression was not at all good.

I was aware that the hotel ran a free shuttle service from Clapham Junction train station to the hotel. I rang ahead (around half an hour before we arrived) and spoke to one of the reception staff. Before I had finished speaking I was hung up on. This was irritating but not a major issue. I just had to call back and the issue was sorted promptly. However, when we exited Clapham junction train station it was not at all clear which was the free shuttle taking us to the hotel. It turned out that the shuttle was a very tatty and beaten-up Kia (not what you would expect to take you to your 5* hotel ) that was badly parked with a very rude driver. He was on his phone talking to a friend and shouted out of his window at us "Rafayel? What are you waiting for?" He did not help with our heavy bags and we couldn't open the boot as he had parked against a bollard! He told us to put our bags on the seat and hurried us inside the vehicle. He then continued his phone conversation whilst driving and then he abruptly stopped the vehicle across two parking spaces in the station carpark, told us he wouldn't be long and got out with the engine still running. He started banging on the window to the local barbers and was talking to people through the glass who I assume were his friends! As you can imagine I was left wondering what sort of hotel we had managed to book ourselves! He then went into a shop to buy a bottle of Fanta ( because apparently he really likes Fanta in glass bottles). He didn't exit the shop for a while though and hung around in there talking to the shop keeper. Eventually he came back to the car and with some terrible driving whilst talking on his phone (not hand-free) and without his seat belt on, he got us back to the hotel. Once he finished his phone call, this driver also felt the need to point out 'Japanese girls' to me on the way to the hotel. He liked to refer to them as "Miss Japan". This was very odd! When we arrived he did not help with the bags - he just walked off. This was a terrible first impression and I was truly disgusted by his behaviour.

First impressions of the actual hotel when we walked in were good. It was clean, modern and trendy. We then checked in and were met by a very polite and friendly gentleman who wore glasses (apologies for not remembering his name) on the front desk. We were quickly checked in and they offered to help with our bags.

We stayed in a Yangtze room. (302). It was a lovely spacious room and fairly modern. However, small details did let it down. I understand that this is an Eco-friendly hotel but it was very dark in the room! There is no main light in the bedroom area - only very dim lamps. If you plan to read a book then this is not possible - or for a lady to put make up on in front of the mirror! There was a lot of dust over the lamps and around the edges of the room and the carpet had a large rip in it by the window. Apartments opposite looked directly into our window. The gym and spa facilities are next door to this room and this is really noisy in the morning! The gym windows also partially look into room 302. The tv turned on randomly during the night, waking us up! There was no breakfast menu put in our room for the second night. The sink only had cold water. The shampoo and conditioner in the shower were in old bottles which was obvious by the fact that the labels had worn off and you couldn't read them anymore! However, the actual shower was amazing and the decor of the whole room is great.

Unfortunately, I did have one major complaint which I aired while I was there. It was around 11pm on the first night of our stay. As a smoker, I came down to the smoking area outside of the main entrance and as I walked out it really smelt very strongly of cannabis where someone had clearly been smoking it just prior to me going out there. The gentleman who was on the front desk must have noticed this smell too and came outside to find only me smoking there. Of course, it looked as though it was me! He didn't say anything but just stood there staring at me. I then spoke with him about it already smelling like that when I came down and he just acted very rudely towards me and asked me to show him my cigarette and then walked away. Basically he dealt with me very rudely and left me feeling really embarrassed. He then came back with a female member of staff and they both stood there still staring at me and were rude to me again. I complained about the way I was treated in the morning and the gentleman with the glasses, again was great. He told me he would speak to his manager when he arrived and he would then speak to me. As promised, the duty manager spoke to me and apologised for the way I was treated and told me the male member of staff was being disciplined and investigated for this. Only when I complained further and really made it clear how I felt did he offer a late check-out as compensation. I didn't accept this and he later came to our room to offer a bottle of champagne. Unfortunately, we don't drink so we had to reject this too. He offered free movies or £30 off food. We settled for £30 off food in the end. He was very apologetic and did try very hard to alleviate our anger at the incident which I appreciated. This whole incident did upset my partner though and she felt uncomfortable being in the hotel after this.

Finally, the restaurant that is attached to the hotel... It was a lovely looking restaurant. However, a lot of the tables and the one we were seated at is overlooked by the bar, so the whole way through our meal we had a group of men sitting directly over us, watching us as if we were the entertainment! It was a little uncomfortable. It was dimly lit with candles and had a slightly romantic feel to it.. But then there was trance music playing which was odd! The meal that we had was excellent. We had three courses and service for each was quick. It was really very nice and well presented food. However, room service food which comes from the same kitchen is not to the same standard. I ordered a continental breakfast with cheese and meat. What I recieved was a babybel cheese and small piece of Red Leicester, no meat, and a fruit salad, a Turkish delight yoghurt with a stale waffle! The English breakfast is much better though. You have options of which milk you would like with your cereal too. However, if there is more than one choice of milk made (two people) you get one jug of whichever they feel like. I assume for space on the one tray. Soggy, bread-like toast too. It was all wrapped in foil too which I thought was poor for a 5* hotel.

Overall, we did not enjoy our stay. This really did not feel like a 5* hotel and I believe that a lot of it is down to some (not all) of the staff having a very laid back approach to customer care. If you are booking a hotel in London, there are much better hotels for the same or less money. These would also be in much better locations and would give you the 5* experience you would expect. It was just a convenient location for us that particular weekend. Lots of small details that are wrong amount to a poor stay. I really don't like to complain and wouldn't normally bother to write a review but after my experience I feel it is important that other people really know what they could be letting themselves in for! This hotel could be great with some sharpening up, although you can't change the location. But for now it is really only a 3* - if that, in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2015
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My other half and I had the pleasure of finding this hotel.. We would definitely stay again...lovely staff at reception...shuttle service was a definite plus,will be recommending to anyone planning a visit to London.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at the hotel on Tuesday night and what a wonderful hotel this is! A little hidden gem!

Check in was simple and quick and I was upgraded to a Yangtze Room on the 2nd floor with partial views over the Thames. The man who checked me in was really helpful and friendly.
The hotel is very modern with mood lighting although the corridors are a little on the dark side.

The room was lovely; just as it looked on the pictures.......there is a massive bathroom although the shower takes some working out! The room is well stocked with bathrobes, slippers, mini bar, safety deposit box and all the usual things you would expect to find

I stay away frequently and I have to say, this is the best hotel that I have stayed in whilst in London and I certainly won't be looking to book another hotel now that I have found this one!

The only down side is the restaurant.......although the food was fantastic, it is quite expensive although guests receive a 50% discount if you order 2 courses, I would recommend the Scallops! There is a bar area within the restaurant and the chap serving drinks is a star! The hotel is a little bit on the outskirts so couldn't find a restaurant within walking distance although I am sure there are

I didn't have breakfast and I didn't use the spa facilities but I certainly will be next time.

The hotel also offered us a taxi service in the morning to take us to Westminster but I think a black cab would have been cheaper!!

A great hotel, beautifully presented and spotlessly clean!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade....if you don't ask, you don't get
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had previously stayed at this hotel, and been surprised and dismayed to find a heliport in full and regular operation, in fairly close proximity to my room.

Imagine my surprise therefore, on being booked into this hotel for a return visit, without my knowledge. Happily though, I'm pleased to report, the helicopters were far less frequent on this occasion.

The on-site parking below the hotel was convenient, with very helpful staff directing me to a space on my arrival. Check-in was convenient, polite and moderately quick, but the room to which I'd been allocated was on the first floor, and sat, quite literally over the rear entrance portico, essentially facing the restaurant. There was no privacy to be had - and so I spent the majority of the time in my room with the blinds, closed.

Check out the next day was quick and efficient, and they were kind enough to allow me to leave the car in the car park whilst I wandered to a meeting and back, with no additional charge.

The polite, courteous kind of service that any hotel should be proud of, but the helicopters and the rooms I've been allocated to date do not make me want to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed here on a small vacation to London. The hotel room was incredible. The planet friendly features were very cool and the shower was without a doubt the best shower experience I've ever had. The only drawback is the distance to public transportation. The walk is not far but at night the neighborhoods we walked through were not well lit making the walk a little nerve wracking. The hotel DOES offer a shuttle, we chose not to take it because after all the wonderful food in London we needed the exercise! Overall great hotel experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely hotel although a little bit far out of the city although in summer it would probably be lovely as it's right next to the river.
Clean, minimalist decor and beautifully decorated. There is a library on the 1st floor which is a nice little quirk.
The rooms are huge although be careful on the floor as I slipped and fell quite badly. Comfy beds, but the lighting is a little hit and miss - fine for romantic but not great when trying to put mascara on. The bathroom was massive too and had one of the best showers I have ever been in. However the towels were not clean. Also there was no iron and ironing board which I found a little strange.
However, helpful staff and easy check in and out and not a long wait for the valet parking.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!