“AWFUL!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #821 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“AWFUL!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had read the reviews which seemed mixed and thought well the pictures and website seem ok so maybe people were expecting too much from a basic b&b, however, all the bad reviews were correct - this is terrible place - the staff were ok, not overly pleasant but there was a bit of a language barrier us being Scottish - when we got to the room we were shocked at how awful it was - 3 beds squeezed in to an attic room, grubby and shabby, paint pealing where the roof had leaked at some point - then we opened the bathroom door - it smelt really bad and was horrible and filthy, it resembled an old caravan fitting, filthy broken plastic and the shower was unfit for use so we didn't. We weren't expected much but it was really awful! Breakfast was served in a surprisingly ok room with a lovely garden. I would never stay at this place again.

Room Tip: No good rooms at this place
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Location from central London is a bit of a trek but once there we were greeted by very friendly staff.

Room was okay - very much low end of the budget, but did the job. Showers are separate and communal (which normally worries me) but again it was what we needed.

If you want to book a room I definitely suggest contacting them directly - we would have saved £18 per night

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Beware: There is no way to contact the hotel. When you call the number for this hotel you are actually being connected to a travel agent instead of the hotel staff.

I spoke to a travel agent from Travel Tura. I asked if there were any available rooms for this hotel and the travel agent requested my Card Details before she would contact the hotel to check for availability. She said, very nicely, that no charge will be taken if they cannot find a room or if I change my mind. She said, the taking of the card details "is just a normal procedure for making a booking" as they take a 10% deposit if I was to book a room through them. So I very naively thought this seems legitimate, she sounds like she knows what she is doing, and I gave her my details.

She told me there was a room available and I was told that when I go to the hotel I will be able to pay the balance there. I agreed to this. However, 2mins after making the booking and paying the deposit, I changed my mind. I called them and I got no answer. I called them lots of times for the next 10 mins and still...no answer.

I assumed that all I lost was my deposit as they told me on the phone that when getting to the hotel, it is then that I will be expected to pay the balance. But NO, they charged me for a full nights stay...and I never even set foot in the hotel.

Be careful when speaking to Travel Tura - They will take your money without your permission

Room Tip: If you are looking for a hotel similar to this it is better to look for the others on Anson road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

So I know the Five Kings has received a lot of negative reviews. I'm not going to argue with them. Our experience was good enough though.

The rooms are definitely cramped. We had a room with a bathroom and shower ensuite. So no having to wander up the stairs to use the bathroom. Our room was clean, the shower was hot, the TV worked fine, and wi-fi was included. It also includes a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and beans. There was also cereal, fruit, bread, jam, juice and tea available.

At 55 GBP the price was decent. We chose it primarily for its location just a 5 minute walk from the family we were visiting. It is maybe a 15 minute walk to the tube and connected into the main transport line.

Would stay there again simply because of location close to family. Definitely would want to make sure to check out the room and realize you truly do get what you order and nothing else.

Room Tip: bathroom and shower in the room is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Carlow, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is not an hotel for a start. The room we were in was very basic. It had a wash basin but no toilet (In fact there wasn't even a bathroom on the floor that our room was situated). Two beds, a sink and that's it.

Also, most "Hotels" have a bar and food service. Neither of these are present here.

It is very much a "Hostel", though most hostels even provide a self-service for cooking food that one may have purchased while out and about.

By no means should this particular venue be allowed to class itself a Hotel. I have seen bad B&Bs that are miles better equipped than this.

The Price (at £156 for 2 nights for 2 people) would have been decent if the establishment lived up to its own title (Hotel). In the actual event however, I am sorry I didn't book a tourist hostel in the City Centre for a fraction of that price.

I am struggling to think of positives. I really am.... It is close to City Centre Tube and Bus routes. The young lady that greeted us on our first entry to the place was very nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathroom - I bet you can't..... Also if not, get a room at least on the same...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was returning home from a year travelling around Australia when I had a stop off in London for a few days before heading home. Unfortunately for me my friend lived near here so I picked this place based on location, but in all the places I EVER stayed in this was the WORST experience I have ever had from start to finish!!

I'll start with the positives. The rooms were fairly good (if you got the right one) and it's not in a bad location.

I should have realised what was coming when I booked the place over the phone however as I was passed onto to three different people as they could not understand English. I am talking about not being able to understand the word SEPTEMBER! Yes someone with barely a word of English was hired as a booking agent!

I arrived with 2 friends late in the evening after a 17 hour journey from Thailand and were tired. I had booked a triple room which was clearly stated on my booking confirmation. I was given a key by the receptionist who clearly was peeved at having to stay later to check us in (which I checked beforehand if it would be ok). Once we got the key he shut everything up and headed on his way. We get to the room and it is a DOUBLE, with a bed barely big enough to get 2 into. Plus it was broken! Tried to get in contact with anyone who could help us but to no avail, the place was deserted. We had to drag a fold up bed that was lying abandoned in the corridor into the room just to give us all something to sleep on.

The next day I had the joy of meeting the hefty owner of the hotel. I was just happy to have got a good night’s sleep and have had bookings like this happen before when you get booked into the wrong type of room and sort it out in the morning, usually not an issue for me. What flabbergasted me was the manager immediately gave ME a telling off for putting 3 into a double room!! I explained that I had booked for 3 people and would go upstairs and get my booking form. As I was disgusted by his attitude I said that the bed in the room was also broken and he retorted “Well that’s what happens when you put 3 people in a double bed.” His attitude absolutely stank and I was very angry after that statement. Once I brought the booking down, explained my dealing with his non English speaking staff and made him aware of his appalling customer service he changed his tune and apologised. He said we could have a triple room for no extra cost (even though I’d paid for one!) and we moved rooms. That incident was enough to spoil any stay, but what happened the next day was beyond belief!

Might I add at this point Five Kings calls itself a bed and breakfast. So we were told breakfast was served until 9:30am, and arrived down on the second day at 9:20am. The cook was still there and plenty of people were around having their breakfast. However the cook was just starting to clean up. When I requested breakfast she told me she was done cooking and no more breakfast was being served. I was shocked at this and immediately went upstairs to the manager to complain. The ‘friendly’ porter from the first night was there and followed me down to the kitchen. He told me it was now too late for breakfast, even though it was still only 9:25am! I also said I was here 10 minutes before the end of breakfast when others were just starting theirs. He then proceeded to tell me that other hotels/B&B’s near by do not serve breakfast, and their establishment does it “as a favour!!” To say I was dumbstruck was an understatement! I booked a BED and BREAKFAST and was down IN TIME for breakfast! His attitude stank just like every other person in the establishment and at this stage I was seething! I requested to speak to the manager but was brushed off. They gave me his number and I left a message but was not called back. I was leaving later that day (on the day of a tube strike) and they were equally unhelpful in helping us work out alternative transportation.

I was just happy to get out of there but as I’ve said this was the WORST experience I ever had staying anywhere. The customer service was ridiculously bad and I have never met a worse run establishment in all my time travelling. Don’t get me wrong, I have stayed in places in a lot worse condition, but this place just STANK of bad manners.

I don’t usually write reviews but often use them when booking places, they are more often than not accurate on sites like this. When somewhere treats you this bad they don’t deserve to be let off the hook.

STAY AWAY

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
BLACKPOOL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I managed to get a deal for 1 night for £66, read some reviews and didn't expect much, however was only staying there for literally 10 hours. The bed room was ok, large enough for a double but only able to enter on one side as the bed was pushed up to the wall. Had a sink, drawer unit & a tv, which worked once I'd played around with the aerial. I was in room 16, which unfortunately had the shower cubicle right outside my door and you could hear everything going on, especially when people were using it as late as 11pm and as early as 6am. Bed was comfy enough, but the sheet were a little hard. Was ok for a 1 night stay but wouldn't stay if I was on a leisure break.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Five Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!