“Not as advertised and WORST SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
STAY 2 NIGHTS GET 10% OFF
Ranked #366 of 1,055 Hotels in London
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Not as advertised and WORST SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed at the Park grand the night of Tuesday 17th 2009. I booked a Cleveland Club Room with full facilities, or so I thought. I paid £119.00 for the room through Easy to Book, but checked the description of the room on your their own web site.

The Hotel is set in a quiet square, although with no sign outside the Hotel, it was difficult to find. Once through the automatic door I was confronted with two young Porters who ignored me and carried on their private conversation. I approached the reception, where there were 3 receptionists on duty. They all looked up as I approached and I was looked at, as if I should not be coming through their door. I was not greeted by any of them. I had to stand in the middle of reception and say to all of them, I have a reservation. Check in was not OK, I did not have to pay any kind of room deposit but also I was not shown the room, which in this hotel should be a must....more later. I was not told what time or where breakfast was served. I was not told about the Club Room or where it was. The receptionist, was very unfriendly, but he was too busy talking to the Head of House Keeping while he checked me in. She was being informed about a customer complaint, that a room needed to be serviced, very unprofessional to ignore a guest whilst talking about a complaint. I was not welcomed to the Hotel in any way. I was not offered a wake up call nor a newspaper. Simply put, the things a hotel usually offers was not afforded me at this so called 5 star Hotel.

The room should have contained a "This spacious room offers a comfortable sitting area with a lush sofa and coffee table." There was no sofa nor coffee table. I chose this room for these 2 things, as I had a lot of paperwork to do in the evening and wanted somewhere to sit. I had 2 hard chairs. I find this disgraceful. I bought a product that did not match their own description. I do not think this is fair. You cannot advertise something that does not exist. 626 did not have a sofa in it, nor a coffee table.

The web site also advertises "Pampering extras include daily fruit and mineral water, plush bathrobes and slippers, daily local newspaper". I did not have any mineral water, the tap water tasted foul and I most certainly did not have a newspaper. Once again the web site description DID NOT MEET REALITY. I also found no pens or paper, a must in a hotel, no instructions on how to use the phone and no directory on the services offered by the hotel. My room DID NOT HAVE WiFi, it had a wired connection, but receptionist told me it had wi fi. The cable was hidden in one of thoe crazy wall panels, that took me ages to find. Forget the wardrobes, as they are as thin as the LCD TV. You cannot use them. I never found the Club Room until check out, I was told that the free beverages do not exist, eventhough it is advertised on their web site. The the Club Room is a joke, some chairs a TV and a computer in a room the size of a bathroom. This is not a Club Room of the Hilton/Sheraton etc standard. Once again the web site is very misleading and wrong. This alone is a total disgrace!

I found the room very difficult at first to navigate. The wardrobes are in the walls, so is the desk hiding the Internet connection. I had no idea where they were. On booking in, I should be informed where things are in such a room. I should not have to press any and ever wall panel to find a wardrobe.

The bathroom, if you can call it that, was a tiny wet room, which wet everything in it, including the toilet paper and the bedroom carpet, as it was so small and the floor sloped at a strange angle, away from the plug. The overhead shower spray, is so close to the wall, you cannot stand underneath it because a tray has been position on the wall right underneath the shower head, brilliant bit of planning. This bathroom was designed by someone an idiot. It is the worst bathroom I have ever seen in any hotel.

The staff at breakfast were the most disinterested I have ever met in a London Hotel. I sat in the corner where a TV was above my head. Without asking, a serving staff put the TV on, quite loud, which disturbed my breakfast. Staff then stood around watching the TV. I was never asked if I wanted anymore coffee. Eventhough I went past two members of staff, no one said goodbye and thank you, they were too busy watching the TV.

On check out, I was dealt with by a young women, maybe French. She asked if all was OK. I tried to explain to her it was not, but she could not speak enough English to understand me. I simply gave up, trying to tell her what was wrong. The only other person on reception was the Asian man who had checked me in, so it was pointless telling him.

I find the description of the room on their web site, extremely misleading and wrong. I will be seeking rectification, as I was sold things that simply did not exist in my room. I am far from happy with the way I was treated. On booking I had requested another room for next Tuesday 24th. I do not wish to return to this Hotel and will be informing Trading Standards. My advice is simple, do not listen to the positive reviews, do not believe their web site, do not think this is a 5 star hotel. The only slight saving grace, I did not pay the rack rate of £300. I have stayed in better Hotels, more centrally located

I stay in London 3 to 4 times a month, and this is one Hotel that does not deserve my money. Be warned avoid avoid avoid!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Somerset, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

It's still not finished! The bits that are, are very good, everything clean, bright and gleaming but.. no bar, " SorrySir, we don't have a licence", the restaurant wasn't ready, the pool and fitness suite not open. Unfortunately the hotel online details omit to say this, likewise the on screen TV hotel guide, which appears to have superceded the standard paper version in a plastic folder. So it was a trip down the road to the off licence for a bottle and then out to a local eatery ( lots of choice) when I really did not feel like going out on a wet stormy night. The wet room just doesn't work, good try, but its too small to keep some where dry to stand and dry yourself. Some good bits, free upgrade to junior suite, 4 SKY Sports channels ( unheard of in a hotel), cumfy bed, modern decor ( which doesn't necessarily sit with high ceilings and plaster mouldings). Breakfast at £12 could have been good, but they havent worked out how to keep food hot - or even warm for that matter. There seemed to be lots of staff, both at reception and at breakfast. I got the feeling they were as bewildered as we were! When finished it should be OK - just make sure you know what you are getting.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

Having just returned from a one nights stay at this hotel, we were initially quite apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews on here about what would be waiting for us. However, all was good and I certainly would go back.

We were able to check in without a problem having pre-booked our room online. The room cost £125, and for that we were given what appeared to be a newly refurbished room, immaculately clean and with everything we needed. Yes the rooms are small, but in comparison to whatever else is available in London, the room size seems to be about average.

Our room was on the second floor, and it was the smallest of the rooms available. There was however a comfortable double bed which guaranteed a good nights sleep. I agree with previous posts about the wardrobe, this literally was a cupboard, if you were staying any more than two nights you'd probably have a problem with clothes storage. The bathroom is ideal - yes again small, but underfloor heating and a walk in 'drench' shower was really nice. Again, the bathroom was immaculate, and a major plus, despite this being a very small room and having a very warm shower, the mirror doesn't steam up. Another big plus about this place is the free high speed internet, and unlike many hotels, this is free, and this is high speed - exactly what you'd expect. All the usual channels and radio stations are available like you would expect.

We had breakfast included in our stay, and again this was really nice. Everything you could possibly expect in a breakfast was available and it was all really nice.

The only negative to this place was that it is a good five minutes walk from Paddington station. Some may not see this as a negative, however if you are limited with time in London, it may be slightly annoying not being in the 'centre' of London. But then again, at least it's quiet!

I certainly would return to this hotel again, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Nice Hotel in great location but spoiled by being opened far to soon.

I think it is very misleading to claim that it is a 5 star when it does not provide the following

Room service
A Bar that sells no alcohol and shuts at 10 pm
No restaurant
No daily paper
Very poorly trained and curt staff
Change times for breakfast at a whim and not bother to tell customers
No written bill other than credit card paper.
Only free view in room and then not all the channels. No films, DVD player CD player IPod dock that worked
No table for tea making equipment to stand on and left on floor. Very dangerous and clearly a health and safety issue
Paint on carpet in room Furniture damaged doors would not shut.
Safe would not work.
Locked out of room a couple of times.
Asked for ice to be delivered to room never arrivedtwice ended up helping ourself from bar

Its a shame hotel in wonderful position and pity that the hotel was opened too soon with very poorly trained staff who clearly most of the time
do not know what they are doing.

Would no way pay the rack price but if you can get a deal and aware of its shortcomings then its a good option

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Grand London Paddington? Share your experiences!