“Awesome. Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Town Hall Hotel

You added Town Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Town Hall Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Patriot Square | Bethnal Green, London E2 9NF, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #63 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Memphis
“Awesome. Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Party of 4 - 2 adults, 2 teenagers. We wanted more than just a hotel room so decided to book Town Hall after much research. Great choice. Superb communication from the hotel prior to arrival. They arranged for a private car to pick us up at Heathrow. Taking the Heathrow Express and then the tube may have been less -- but the cost of that was a break even by the time you got to 3 passengers....a private car was a lot more relaxing. Upon arrival, Andrea, brought our luggage to our 2 bedroom unit downstairs. I was initially hesitant about a room on that level but found it to be no problem at all...still plenty of light and very quiet. He showed us all the amenities of the room, to include the espresso maker and other kitchen appliances (Washer/dryer, etc). Fridge was stocked daily with sparking and still water plus milk.

Plenty of room to stretch out...larger than several apartments I've lived in. Newspaper at the door each morning and macaroons every evening! We were easily able to make breakfast and dinner, whatever you wanted, right there in the room....dishes, pots and other cooking accessories were all there. Great way to save some $ and relax.

Easy 5 minute walk to the Bethnal Green tube station. Never felt uncomfortable, even in the evenings. Surely an eclectic neighborhood but no problems. A couple of grocery stores nearby.

The hotel itself was interesting, not your cookie-cutter chain hotel. Great history and care was obviously taken to honor this history. Loved that they used so much of the original decor. Beautiful as the place is, what makes it is the staff. The hotel was fully booked but still we felt like the only ones there. Andrea was amazing. Anything we needed, he cheerfully accommodated. He seemed to be everywhere, always in movement, always professional and always helpful. What a gem. That's what makes people feel welcome -- the staff.

Every evening we felt like we were coming home to relax, not just back to the "room". Do take the time to explore the hotel.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest, what a nice review about our hotel written and left on Tripadvisor. Thank you for that. It is nice to read that you fully enjoyed the Town Hall Hotel experience. You highlighted many “plus” such as the room spaciousness, the amenities and the building different features. You also highlighted how the staff made the difference.. we are proud of them all, they are like you rightly said “what makes people feel welcome”, and makes the difference during your stay. The most part of the guest compliments the management for the staff attitude and willingness and I agree, rest assured I will pass on your kind words to Andrea and all the staff at the Front Desk, Housekeeping and restaurants. I also would like to thank you for your “on point” words on the neighbourhood, something that concerns some of our guests, and as you said it is alternative but by no means dangerous or rough. We are looking forward to your next visit. Many thanks and kind regards. Sandro Desole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Very helpful concierge. Booked tickets for show, nothing too much trouble. Stylish and comfortable. Great apartment with all mod cons. Short walk to underground. Restaurant fresh and tasty. Pool and gym world class.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest , let me thank you for your words left on Tripadvisor, which highlights how important is one of our stronger points, the Concierge desk in order to have a fully satisfactory experience. We take very seriously our training at the Front Desk, could it be the Reception or the Concierge desk and this are exactly the kind of results we are aiming too, the guest satisfaction. You also highlighted other strong points, our apartment and our facilities and our “Michelin” starred restaurants, all created and thought to enhance your experience here. Rest assured we will keep on raising the bar with the aim of exceed your expectations time after time. Many thanks and kind regards. Sandro Desole
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband booked an overnight stay here at this hotel as a wedding anniversary treat. But sadly, it's been anything but. Despite the hotel being virtually empty, no upgrade was offered despite my husband having requested an upgrade if possible due to anniversary. Fair enough, but even an acknowledgement may have been a nice gesture? We decided to eat at the corner room restaurant in the hotel for convenience but ended up in the convenience store across the road to fill up on crisps and chocolate due to the very limited menu and the minuscule portions. We ordered and waited for over half an hour for a portion of plaice that would not have covered the palm of my hand...and I have very small hands! This was served with 3 asparagus....and nothing else! I hoped to fill up on dessert but was met with a dessert menu which I can only describe as 'trying too hard' and completely unappealing such as 'butternut squash with coconut'. We decided to retreat to the bedroom to watch a movie which we had brought with us only to find that the wall mounted tv does not in fact swivel to face the bed. In fact, you can only view the tv if standing against the opposite wall. Ever the optimist, I was confident that there was something my husband and I were missing and that there must be a way to reposition it. I rang reception and they confirmed that in fact the tv could not be repositioned. I told them I had never heard anything so ridiculous and that it was a fairly basic requirement to be able to watch the tv from bed in a hotel room and that I would be writing a review on trip advisor to reflect my opinion. They very promptly rang me back to inform me that they would be sending a maintenance man with a freestanding tv to position on the coffee table. He came, set up the tv only to discover that their DVD players do not support blu ray...again, a basic requirement in a modern 5* hotel I would have thought? This hotel has the potential to be great due to the historic decor but their lack of attention to detail lets it down. The coffee machine in the room is a cheap model which serves cold coffee whilst the unattractive mini fridge, as well as being completely out of place within the vintage decor, contains only still and sparkling water in bottles which are not sealed, plus a pint of long life milk...no mini bar? If you are looking for a reasonably priced night in a London hotel, check out The South Place Hotel near Liverpool Street. We stayed there for my husbands birthday and were immediately upgraded as a birthday treat due to the hotel not being particularly busy. The hotel restaurant is of a very high standard serving something to suit most if not all palates. The fact that it was a birthday treat had been passed on to the restaurant and we were subsequently offered a complimentary drink. The attention to detail in the rooms is of an extremely high standard with B&O tv's/music systems which also operate in the bathrooms. We have decided not to stay for breakfast tomorrow as the experience so far has been extremely disappointing. We hope to salvage what we can of our 16th wedding anniversary tomorrow morning before returning home to our children and may in fact, have breakfast at South Place. I do not recommend this hotel. Trendy facade and interior decor, but sadly lacks the attention to detail as well as basic expectations of a modern 5* hotel. Didn't try the main restaurant but don't bother with 'The Corner Room'. Very limited menu and extremely tiny portions. You will leave hungry!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest, I have entirely and thoroughly read your review on Tripadvisor and I am writing down all the points you remarked in order to improve our already high standards service. Based on the description provided of your experience here I would really like to use this occasion to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. I understand how frustrating it is to look forward to a special occasion and end up unsatisfied. Our “listed” building has a classic structure, often difficult to modify or adapt to modern concepts due to the building regulations and legal restrictions imposed by the authority. Despite this scenario we wanted our hotel to have a design concept and we applied it where possible in order to allow the coexistence of the two styles together, the classic in the public areas and the modern in the rooms. It is worthy to say that, speaking about the rooms, design and comfort not always go hand to hand and therefore the solutions found although innovative sometimes pay the fee of being unpractical. This is the case of the TV and its location in your room. As per your comments on the Corner Room, I would like to clarify that it is a fine dining restaurant where the idea is for the guest to have a threefold dinner experience where the excellent and researched ingredients, the colours and the atmosphere enhance a meal to a five senses explosion. I notice from your words that the staff went the extra mile in order to accommodate your requests and this gives you the idea of our willingness to help you to enjoy your experience to the full. I am assuring you that what happened is just an exceptional and unfortunate instance and in order to restore your faith in us I am offering you a free upgrade to a higher room type for your next visit. Should you decide to return at the THH please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards. Sandro Desole
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a whim, in order to get out of the center of town and on the strength of its restaurant's reputation. Our expectations were far exceeded in almost every way. When we checked in, we were slightly disappointed to find our room on a lower "garden" level without much of a view, but it was just enough above ground to get plenty of light, and the street honestly doesn't have much to view even from a higher floor. The size and design of the room more than made up for the lower level, however. The furniture was modern yet comfortable, and the suite was HUGE. By almost any hotel's standards it was a large suite, with two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a living room, dining table, and kitchenette. By London standards, compared to our the other hotels we visited, it was downright cavernous. We didn't know what to do with all the space - it would be perfect for a family or group of travelers, but we nearly felt gluttonous with only two people.
The design of the hotel was excellent, with pictures showing what the building looked like before its renovation that really showed how much work had been done. The pool looked appealing although we didn't swim. The location is fine, feels a bit of a ways of out Central London, but the hotel is very close to the Underground so travel isn't actually much harder than other places. It's not a hot nightspot in the immediate area, but is close to the Shoreditch area which is at least lively if slightly rough around the edges.
Finally, the restaurant, Viajante, was by far and away the best hotel restaurant I've ever eaten at. Certainly haute cuisine, with no menu and exotic ingredient combinations, and definitely pricey, but it was worth every penny and was one of the culinary highlights of my entire life.
Few hotels have seemed such a good value for the money, with space, class, and design in abundance, but without the pretensions or stuffiness of other "comparable" hotels.

Room Tip: We had a two-bedroom suite and it was almost too big - we couldn't hear each other talking from...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operatons at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest, this is exactly what I would like to read in every review in Tripadvisor, the full enjoyment and the happiness of being spoiled from moment one till the epitome at Viajante. Thank you for your kind words! This is what the Town Hall Hotel is about, the continuous research of the guest satisfaction passing through the room amenities, the spaciousness of our apartments ( I could not hold a smile when I read your words: “We had a two-bedroom suite and it was almost too big - we couldn't hear each other talking from one side to the other - but we loved it!), the design and obviously our “Michelin” starred restaurants which are already a taste explosion experience themselves! And I also liked the way you described our philosophy at the end of your review. This is really a great summarization of us! We will be gladly waiting for you return. Many thanks and kind regards. Sandro Desole
staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here for just one night as it was convenient for our visit, it’s not an area we would normally stay in and it turned out to be really quite good. We arrived quite early and the room wasn’t ready but we knew we were going to be out until quite late that evening so I really wanted to unpack etc, the reception staff gave us some good tips for lunch (Broadway market area, another place worth going) while they tried to get something sorted. They managed to get us a room (upgraded) and it was really lovely, it was an apartment style room so can’t say what the normal rooms are like but this was great. All facilities you could need and it’s very very stylish.
The following day we were due to be having some lunch in the hotel, so again prior to this we needed ideas what to do, they suggested the flower market a short walk away, again worth a visit.
I was not only surprised at the hotel (its lovely) but also that there was so much to do in the area that’s a bit different from the normal stuff we do on London trips. Its really close to the tube station so getting around isn’t a problem.
Lunch at the restaurant was very good but it is expensive, as it is a Michelin starred place to be expected I suppose! Get what you pay for etc.
Special mention for the cocktail bar, bartender very good and really friendly 

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest, It is nice to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us and in our neighbourhood. Thank you for this nice review left on Tripadvisor. I read very often that our guest, even if concerned with the area in the first place, they end up loving it with its nice “mama cooking” restaurants, its numerous vegetarian coffees, its various and delicious bakeries and the “fine dining” pearls all at hand nearby. It is also worthy to call to mind the gorgeous and immense Victoria Park, the nicely twofold Hagerstown park and the little canals connecting them all. Yes our vibrant area is making a very nice name for itself. As per the hotel and the facilities, rarely our guest do not feel in love with our spacious rooms and apartments, our exceptional restaurants and bar and obviously our very helpful staff able to give you always the right recommendation for your sightseeing or the most time efficient suggestion for your transportation. This is what we are here, your key to the East End, the place to be in the most vibrant part of the town. We wait for your next visit to help you to continue your exploration.
Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Town Hall for 9 nights, and had an absolutely wonderful stay. The room we got had all the ammenties from home. As this was one of our first long term stays, we wanted something more personal than the standard chain hotel we used it. We hit the mark with Town Hall. It was like we had leased our own personal apartment for the week, but with the added benefit of having a very dedicated staff look after us the entire time.

Don't be put off by some others comments of the location. The east end has so many gems, from high end restaurants, local pubs, and grocery stores. We we 5 minute walk from the tube, which made it easy for us to get anywhere we needed.

A great big thank you to the wonderful maintenance staff (didn't catch his name), that helped us out within minutes of making a call to the front desk. Great service.

This was our first trip to London, but hardly our last and we will looking forward to booking the Town Hall again. Worthy of it's high rating on TA. Cheers!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your wonderful words left on Tripadvisor which highlight once again how much our guests enjoy their stay here both for a night and for a long stay like yours. We firmly believe that a nice first impression has to be supported by consistency throughout the whole stay and your words are the clear evidence of it. I am very happy to read that our rooms with their comfort, spaciousness and amenities together with our “dedicated staff” made the difference and added to a great stay. I am also very pleased, being a firm believer in the East End, to read that you enjoyed the area and the nearby little “foodie” restaurants and coffees, you really translated my thoughts in written words! Make sure to visit us in the close future, we cannot wait to welcome you again. Many Thanks and kind regards Sandro Desole
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have wanted to stay at the Town Hall Hotel the past few times I have been in London and was finally able to this summer. I stayed at the hotel for 5 days, the service was impeccable. The staff were super friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is gorgeous. The little architectural details and design touches throughout the spaces are wonderful. My room had fabulous mid century modern furniture and a dishwasher, microwave, sink, & refrigerator, all in a hideaway kitchen which was super convenient. The East End may seem a bit out of the way to many tourists but there are numerous busses and trains within walking distance of the hotel and Bethnal Green has lots of cultural offerings itself, there is a great art bookstore half a block away and multiple galleries all within walking distance. Town Hall would appeal most to those interested in art and design but it is also very reasonably priced (considering the quality of the hotel) with great restaurants (one a Michelin starred restaurant) within the hotel which should appeal to anyone with superb taste!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, as soon as I have finished to read your review so nicely written on Tripadvisor I could not help to think of how much the attention and the love we put in our job is not only noticed but cherished by our guests. I am glad to read that once again our staff is one of the assets of our hotel and to see that our concept of hospitality is shared and appreciated by so many guests. We want you to feel at home, with all the comforts found in a house, but in the same time pamper you with nice restaurants, the Viajante and Corner Room, with their food so unique and tasty. I also thank you for the very useful remarks about our area and its characteristics and the full experience with us. We cannot wait to have you back!
Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Been to Town Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!