“Great tour, great guide, great car!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Small Car BIG CITY

Small Car BIG CITY
8 Northumberland Avenue | Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5BY, England (Westminster)
+44 20 7839 6737
and up
Ranked #16 of 472 Tours & Activities in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: We believe that visitors to London should feel like locals. #Livelikealocal on Twitter and see London from a different perspective. Zoom around the swinging streets of London in a vintage, classic, British Mini Cooper! Your private chauffeur(s) will show you the quirky, undiscovered London that is off the beaten track and down the side streets that only a Mini can get too! Experiences last from 30 minutes to all day. Get picked up from your hotel and tailor your trip to your exact requirements. Our highly trained guides know all the best places to eat and drink so that you can truly make the most out of your stay in our great city. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED! If we do not provide you with the BEST TIME EVER(!), We will book you in for another experience at your convenience free of charge!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great tour, great guide, great car!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've been to London several times, but this time I traveled with my sister who'd never been. I wanted to do something really fun to show her the city. I found smallcarBIGCITY on Trip Advisor, and I am so happy I decided to book this tour. It was incredibly fun, engaging, and informative.

Robert, the owner of smallcarBIGCITY, was our guide. Not only was he funny and full of tidbits about the city, he was a well-dressed cutie with a British accent. Bonus!

Robert picked us up at our hotel and kept us laughing for three hours while we zipped around the city in his mini. He tailored the tour just for us, taking us to all the places we asked about that weren't necessarily on the "planned" tour.

I love London, so the next time I visit I'll be sure my friends and I book another tour with this company. My sister and I had a great time, and I can't wait to do it again!

London, United Kingdom
“Fab Four...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was looking for something different to help my dad celebrate his 65th birthday and retirement and I couldn't have picked a better trip. A few months ago now, I'd seen one of the SmallCarBigCity minis in a street next to the Market Porter whilst stood outside watching the world go by opposite Borough Market and knew that my dad would love one of these tours. He'd owned and maintained minis in his youth, and when I was a child I recall that his brother had owned a customised mini Cooper with in built telephone and leather interior, so my dad had huge affection for them. When I googled the website I noticed that there was a Beatles tour which made my mind up to book, as my dad was a massive Beatles fan too.

I'd left the trip a complete surprise to my parents, asking them to head up to St.James tube station, and The Old Star pub opposite, our collection point. They were intrigued when they saw a classic red mini parked outside and only realised when Robert (the company owner and our guide) introduced himself and the trip, that they'd soon be escorted around London to the sound of a Beatles sound track.

Robert was an excellent guide and driver, weaving in and out of the London traffic to show us the hidden gems of London. It truly is a beautiful city. Along the way there are many intriguing and funny tales related to specific buildings or streets which Robert shares on short stop-offs. For my parents, re-visiting some of their old haunts triggered many happy memories of their early courtship and marital years when my mother worked in Mayfair.

For me, my highlights were going to Abbey Road for the first time in my life where we re-enacted the famous pedestrian crossing scene (much to the annoyance of local drivers no doubt!) and also Little Venice, which Robert mentioned in passing and took us along to when I said I'd never visited that area of London. The beauty of the tour is that you can tailor it, but as it turned out the route that we took was absolutely spot on for my parents as it took in so many areas that they knew like the "back of their hand" from years past.

We finished up back at St. James and said farewell to Robert, who sweetly said that the tour had been like a trip with friends. I think my parents' observations and comments along the way made for an interactive trip, which probably made it more enjoyable for Robert. I hope he didn't find it too hard to get a word in edgeways, but it really demonstrated just how into the tour my parents were, and they are still enthusing about the trip next day and no doubt will be for a while to come! They can look back on this as a fitting marker of my dad's retirement and the start of enjoying a new stage of their lives where they can do fun things like this mini tour.

It made practical sense to pop into The Old Star pub for a reflective drink. I was relieved that the beaming faces and "feel good" factor that this present had created confirmed that I'd made a perfect decision in booking this tour.

And for anyone doing the trip in the morning, I also booked Inn The Park restaurant in St. James Park for a gorgeous lunch - highly recommended.

Wendy Pemberton

“A time to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

During our stay in London, I wanted to organize an interesting sightseeing tour as a surprise for my friends. I chose the Italian tour after a good research and I didn't regret it at all. Since the beginning I made the reservation till the tour ended, was everything taken care with proffesionalism. What made the difference from the other tours, was the passing over excitement of both guys that made the tour ( Aliston & Robert) as well as the interesting stories & facts for the visiting areas.
I would recommend this tour to anyone would love to have a different experience beyond any usual sightseeing tour.
Thank you guys, that made this tour a time to remember in London.
Galatia, Greece

Toronto
“smallcarBIGCITY was FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have just arrived home from a London and Paris trip and couldn't wait to promote this excursion to others. It was easily the best time we had on our entire vacation. We e-mailed and requested our preferred date and timing (which I would suggest you do if possible). We booked the "Great Escape Tour" which is 3 hours in duration but we booked it for a weekday that was featured for a discount on the company website. Once we had the timing confirmed we told them of our "special wants" and went ahead with confirming our tour. Payment was accepted on line. As we are big Beatles fans, we wanted to include some Beatles based sites as well as hitting the regular landmarks that first time visitors to London would not want to miss. Our wish was their command!

Robert (the owner) picked us up at our hotel (on time) in a fantastic red mini and we stared our excursion. Robert is a very friendly, professional and down to earth and has a real love of London and cars. We were in great hands zipping in and around the main streets and off the beaten track seeing and hearing all about London, past and present. As we entered the area of Buckingham Palace and scooted arount the perimeter I am pretty sure that more tourists were photographing us than they were the palace grounds. Wave for the crowds as you will be a celebrity wherever you go in the cute little mini with the fancy logo driven with confidence and accuracy down even the tiniest of roads! I had to close my eyes a few times but he sure does know his vehicle and it was safe yet fun.

As we toured the city, Robert told us all of the historic details of London as well as many funny stories that are little known regarding Green Park, historic figures, his phantom window washer and many others. I will not spoil the surprise for you! He had a great sense of humor and it was as though we were touring the town with a knowledgeable friend. As per our request, Robert took us to Abbey Road to walk the famous intersection, Abbey Road Studios to sign the wall and another Beatles site just for a treat. When we realized that our camera had not worked properly at the Beatles sites, he circled the area (with a smile) and we got our important shots. Would a tour bus do this? I think not!

We finished off our tour at Borough Market where we enjoyed a delicious lunch treat (surprise) at a hidden gem location. We were then taken back to our hotel where Robert picked up another group that were in for a fabulous and memorable afternoon. We wished we were going with them as we hated our tour to end.

We suggest you book smallcarBIG CITY and recommend that everyone that visits London (of all ages) does the same. I know that the big red double decker buses have always been the staple of a London trip but I can tell you in complete honesty that I expect Robert will soon have 100 minis on the road due to the success he deserves and will likely attain. Everyone will want to go on the "mini tour" Why go on a bus and listen to a standard pre set tour with 50 to 100 other folks when you can have a personal tour of London, still in London style, with your own personal guide, in the language of your choice. Save the double decker for a side trip around town as they go everywhere to take both locals and tourists from point "A" to point "B" with no need to plan ahead.

We can't wait to go back to London and will surely book another tour. In the meantime we will continue to spread the word to family and friends that smallcarBIGCITY is something that should not be missed!

We realize that this review is over the top in raving about this tour but I can assure you that we are legitimate Canadian tourists that fell upon a real gem.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“No Better Tour of London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked this Italian Job Tour for my American boyfriend when we were in London for just 2 days... it couldn't have been better. Robert took us out on Sunday mrng, Sept 16th 2012. He was very enthusiastic and helped us get into the spirit of things! The check points: Timely arrival to collect us. Sights we could never have found on our own. A different slant on some of the parts of the city I thought I knew so well already. Covered a broad area of the city as little traffic on Sundays. Let's face it, it's fun and quirky... what London does best! A great experience - thanks Robert! Fiona and Josh