“Gone downhill” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Waterloo tube station.
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We decided to grab a quick bite at Bangalore Express Waterloo, having been here before some time ago. It was overall a disappointing experience. Although we got our food quickly, the food was not at the same standard it was. The sag paneer was lower in quality. The tandoori roti came with lots of butter on it, when we didn't want butter on it. When we asked the waitress, she just said it comes like this because "they" always put a bit of butter on it and didn't budge to change it. We finished in 30mins, but our table remained uncleared until after the bill. The worse is that as soon as we finished our meal, the waitress brought the bill without asking.

The cheekiest is the 12.5% service charge which is supposed to be optional, but doesn't say so on the bill. We refused to pay which was fine, but most people wouldn't notice, so I would suggest you look closely and evaluate whether the service is worth 12.5%. The service here is non-existant. Will not come again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“Let down by poorly trained staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is my second review of Bangalore and I've had to knock it down from Very Good to just Average. It's not for the food which is still a great deal- large portions for the price and offering good value for its location. The atmosphere is still the same- quirky but quite appealing. What spoilt it for me is the way the staff have deteriorated. The service used to be OK but it has got worse over the past few months- as many other TripAdvisor reviews will attest. I was particularly irritated from my visit yesterday. My party had asked for a high level table but were told there weren't any free. This wasn't true- there were two clearly free and subsequently more available. The waitress didn't smile but just grunted as we were led to our table. The drinks waiter was very abrupt, the drinnks server equally so. The food waiter didn't smile or offer any service and again the food was served without smiles or comments. Nobody asked us how our meal was. I was barged by other staff without apology. I had to proactively ask for the bill and again got no response from the waiter once it was paid. Nobody said Goodbye or indeeed offered any please or thank you throughout the evening. If this venue is to succeed it needs to raise its game as far as its front of house workforce are concerned. Somebody else recently commented that this has the rudest staff of any Indian restaurant in London- I would agree. It is a shame for a place that is otherwise quite good it has let itself down in this way. Finally, they should scrap the 12.5% service charge- no wonder they feel they have to impose it. It is a complete joke. Refuse to pay it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fredericksburg, VA
“Good food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We happened on this restaurant as we were heading to Sainsbury Local from Waterloo Station. My husband loves Indian/Middle Eastern food, so this looked like a good bet.

The double-decker seating is unique, and we were happy to be in a lower booth. It was a very hot day in London, so we had asked for tap water, and they brought out a pitcher - which we drained immediately and really would have liked more. But it took forever for the server to return to take our orders.

When the food arrived, it was very good. We all enjoyed everything we got, but really would have liked the service to be a bit better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fun family meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My kids love Indian food. That being said, we all had a great time. The booths are stacked in two rows, one on top of another, and we climbed up a ladder to a top booth. It was like a tree house! The food had great depth of flavor, and wasn't heavy. I had chicken thigh tikka, which I loved. The children's meal was excellent. It included drink, main dish over rice, fries, and dessert. The portions were perfect and the prices were reasonable. The service was prompt and friendly. It was a great experience and we definitely would go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Embarrased I recommended this...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had eaten here a couple of times and enjoyed it, so went on 15th July 2013 with my wife, and a work colleague visiting from India. We arrived just before a coach party. Warned our food would be delayed, but were offered some complimentary poppadoms. After 10 mins a spice tray arrived but the poppadoms never arrived. After 30 mins, our drinks arrived including a jug of water, but no glasses which we had to request. We were brought different beer to that ordered. The coach party left and the restaurant was fairly empty now. The main course then arrived, but before the starter which came later. When questioned, informed we hadn’t made it clear we wanted the starter first. We had to request cutlery. Then we had to request serviettes which were slammed onto the table. Food was good. Table was cleared and we asked for the bill. After 15 minutes, we went to the desk and again requested the bill. After a further 10 minutes, went to the desk again and explained they had 2 minutes to bring the bill before I left. It arrived within 90 seconds including a 12.5% service charge – you can guess whether I paid the service charge.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere