“Marlin Apartments. Aldgate. London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marlin Apartments Aldgate

You added Marlin Apartments Aldgate to your Saves list
Marlin Apartments Aldgate
58 Commercial Road, London E1 1LP, England (Formerly Marlin Apartments Tower Bridge - Aldgate) (East End / East London)   |
Ranked #41 of 663 Specialty Lodging in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Marlin Apartments. Aldgate. London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Superb stay. So clean, quiet and extremely comfortable. Staff were courteous and so helpful at all times. We booked a 1 bedroom apartment so that we could have the space to relax in what was a busy time for our 4 night stay in London. So much better than staying in a hotel as we had the freedom to eat what we wanted when we wanted. And so close to the centre of London and the tube and bus station.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Chris I,

Many thanks indeed for your feedback and the very generous comments you made about the quality of the hotel, our location and the helpfulness of our staff.
We look forward to seeing you here at the hotel again soon!

Andrada Sanducu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Heilbronn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My girlfriend and i travelled to London some days ago. The apartment is very near to the Aldgate East station. It's just a 4 minute walk. So the location is very good. For your information, the Aldgate East tube station depends still to the tube zone 1! So you can reach most sights from london very quickly and cheaply. We were very pleased with the staff there. Very kind and helpful people. The did help us to find the best way to get back to the airport. Check-In latley, no problem! We had checked in at about 0:30am.
Otherwise, the rooms were very clean and a apartment from Marlin aldgate has got much space to live in. The fully equipped kitchen was very clean. In the bathrooms there was a shower and a bath tube! To sum up, the apartment was perfect for us and we were very pleased with it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Thore S,

Many thanks for your very kind comments about your stay with Marlin Apartments Aldgate.
I am pleased to see that you appreciated our standard of cleanliness, that you found our team so helpful and our location very central. I truly hope that you will return to us soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The appartment was very nice and clean and has all the necessities you need when you are travelling as a family - dishwasher, washingmashine, a stove and we had two bathrooms which was very nice.
We had however booked two bedrooms one with twinbeds and one with a double bed and we had an e-mail correspondence to confirm this. When we arrived both bedrooms had double beds and when we went to the reception to complain they argued that we had to pay 30 pounds extra if they were to seperate the double bed - it took quite a while with arguments to convince the receptionist and the management whom she called, that they had confirmed by e-mail that we had already booked and payed for twin beds.
We were not informed about cleaning or how to empty our trash - after two days we asked in the reception and were told to put the trash near the elevator and the maid would remove it. We also had to ask frequently for more sope and shampoo. The hotel was ok nice but the service could be substantially improved. We were also surprise that the bedrooms had no aircondition - because of loud trafficnoise it was impossible to sleep with the windows open despite the fact that we stayed on the 7th floor. But we could not sleep with the windows closed either because of no aircondition. There was also no ventilator in the bathroom which was quite uncomfortable.
The hotel is situated a bit far from every important sights in London except from Tower and you must calculate on spending quite a lot of money in the underground unless you like to walk very far every day. The neighbourhood is not exciting and if you want to experience interesting London restaurants and pubs - again you will have to travel a bit far by underground. Next time in London we will stay closer to London center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I really really liked it here. I loved having the extra space as we are a family of 4. I can't give it a higher rating though based upon this stay experience - but there is a lot of good going on for this place.

The location of this accommodation is excellent - close enough to a tube stop to get anywhere you want to go, but within walking distance of grocery stores and some restaurants. We also were able to walk to the Tower, an easy walk with our small children in tow.

The accommodations were clean and well laid out with an entryway and large closet should you need some extra storage. A decent sized bath, and a large and comfortable bedroom with plenty of drawers and storage. The living room was small but functional with a TV and pull-out sofa and small table for 4. It was tight getting around the table, but doable - no complaints - it's city living. The kitchen was perfect for us, it had everything we needed, including a washer/dryer with detergent. Cooking a simple meal was easy, and the granite counters and gleaming appliances made it easy to want to cook a meal.

And the front staff were friendly, and showed me how to use my key to unlock the front security door without making me feel silly for not knowing. Thank you for being full of smiles.

But - we booked a one room apartment for our family of 4 which we booked online. We were looking for inexpensive accommodations as we had extended our trip by 2 days last minute and just needed a bed, and after not being able to book with a UK chain hotel that we had planned on because they don't take out of country reservations on their website, I found this to be the next best deal, and the added benefit of being an apartment. I booked it for 4 people on the website, and was charged what I thought accordingly. I was familiar with extra charges for extra people, as another apartment company I found did that and I abandoned them because it was then out of my budget. But I was never offered any information when booking that their woud be an extra charge for use of the sofa bed...when we arrived the front desk checked us in cheerfully and sent us on our way, never mentioning as they looked on at our family of 4, that we had to pay for linens...when we didn't find the linens, we went asking for them - and were informed that it would be an extra charge of 54 pounds per night. Seriously!? That was half my nightly rate... it seemed outrageous and we were not prepared or willing to pay it, nor were we forced. We went down the road and picked up up a blanket for 8 pounds and tossed it over our children for the two nights we were there. I looked up to see why even after inputting 4 people this happened, and found somewhere some very fine print about the charge for the sofa bed. So - do a better job on the website, this through us for a loop. BUT-if you know ahead of time, and are problem solvers like us - you'll find an Argos just a block away where you can easily outfit your sofabed for much less...I just wish I'd known - and I still stand on that it's a ridiculous fee.

This alone does not bring down my overall rating - there is a lot of signage about no parties - strong enforcement...and our first night we had a rager across the hall that got out of control - and not in a loud music kind of way, but in the I'm going to beat you until you're dead kind of way. We were actually scared for our safety. It seemed that staff came up, but the police were never called and they never were asked to leave. This was definitely a situation when some strong enforcement should have been used. We were very very tired that day, as you might imagine, but I was never so grateful for morning to come. I did ask at the front desk if they could assure me that this group of people would be gone, and they said yes they would not be there. If they had said they were staying I would have asked very politely to be moved, and been persistent...if I had thought I could have moved my family to a different floor without a certain beating, I would have done it in the night. I just wish that the staff had done a little more so that the rest of the guests were not disrupted.

So, these experiences are mine - which brings my overall rating down as MY first experience here - but I might choose it again, and with better knowledge I'm sure my experience would be different. If you want a kitchen, a convenient and potentially economical lodging, or space to sprawl, or extra room for kids, then give this a try. The accommodations do not disappoint - and armed with information, the experience should not either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear shalisat,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your recent stay.
I am pleased to see that you appreciated our standard of cleanliness, that you found our team so helpful and our location excellent.
Should you be planning a return visit to London in the future please contact me directly. I would welcome the opportunity to restore faith and ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I visited my son in London for a few days. My son lives in the Whitechapel area so we found this apartment. I often like to stay in apartments for the space and I enjoy cooking breakfast in the morning. This is the most spacious apartment we have even stayed. It should be a two bedrooms apartment. One of the bedrooms is locked but the bedroom we have is large with a Queen size bed. The sitting room is also large with facilities such as flat panel TV, DVD player, dishwasher, washing machine. Compared with hotel, the service is minimal. The location is convenient. The Aldgate East tube station is within a few minutes walk. There are numerous bus rote to go to the West End. In the nearby region, Brick Lane is close and Spitalfields is also within walking distance. On Sundays there are markets worth spending half a day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wun Tong L,

I am pleasant to see that you enjoyed our location and that you found your apartments as most spacious.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Having read all of the reviews I was quite looking forward to my stay. It's very close to Aldgate East tube station, there is a Tesco nearby...

I got an apartment on the 10 th floor. I booked a one bed but was given a 2 bed - however the second bedroom door was locked! I have been told by others that this seems to be common practise by serviced apartments - I think it's a bit cheap - what did you think I was going to do - alternate sleeping in different rooms!? If you give someone an upgrade then give the full benefit of it.

The apartment was very spacious and had everything I needed. The double bed is actually two singles pushed together and the pillows are wafer thin cheap options - needs fixing! My apartment was facing commercial road and very noisy - even on the 10th floor. The other BIG drawback is there is no aircon in the apartments so you have to have the windows open and therefore lots of road noise.

I would stay again but only if I get an apartment facing away from commercial rd and if they get aircon. My rating is based on lack of aircon, noisy road and quality of bed/bedding.

Room Tip: Ensure you do not have an apartment facing commercial road. Keep asking for aircon, you can't st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Food_Travel_10,

It saddens me to hear that you experienced some problems during your stay at Marlin Aldgate.
Due to the typical climate in London, air conditioning is not usually necessary. However due to our limited supply of fans we do charge a small fee. We have taken your comments on board in regards to the mattress.
I am sorry that you found the room and its location noisy. In future we can address these issues by allocating you a quiet executive room on a higher floor, which I am certain that you will find comfortable for your stay. I would be delighted to handle your reservation personally and make sure that your apartment is not facing the main street.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Pros:The Marlin apartments were very nice. The staff was extremely helpful. It's one street over from Adlgate underground tube station, which made traveling really easy. I stayed in a 2 bedroom executive suite with 2 bathrooms. Kitchen was fully stocked with all of the cooking utensils. Rooms were clean. Overall the apartment was very comfortable.

Cons: The bath linens did not include a full set (missing wash clothes). We stayed for 5 nights, and the rooms were not service for cleaning. There was no phone in the apartment to make local calls, but the staff was very helpful and made confirmation calls for me at the front desk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alecia_13,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your recent stay.
I would like to apologise for the missing phone from your apartment and I am very pleased to hear that our Concierge Team was able to assist you for your confirmation calls. I would like to confirm that at Marlin Apartments we provide weekly cleaning – additional cleaning is available on request.
I am also pleased to see that you appreciated our standard of cleanliness and the comfort of our apartments.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Andrada Sanducu

Been to Marlin Apartments Aldgate? Share your experiences!