“Can not even make a pot of tea” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Square Kitchen

Kensington Square Kitchen
9 Kensington Sq, London W8 5EP, England (South Kensington)
+44 20 7938 2598
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kensington Square Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,551 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Can not even make a pot of tea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a Small cafeI cramped cafe. In a pleasant location. We arrived just before it opened. we sat at the outside tables .Until the staff ushered us inside. it had a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere as we looked at the menu and the tables started to fill. The someone presumably the manager came in and. Started to criticise the table allocation and the atmosphere. Vanished . We ordered breakfast. And our presumed manager presented me with a cold teapot. Warm water and a leaking tea bag. Which eventually produced a homeopathic mix of floating tea leaves and water. Nothing can taste good with. Such swill but. We battled on till we finally escaped the overcrowded interior.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

British cuisine is patchy at best amd having paid attention to the deservedly poor reviews of our hotel's restaurant we came here for breakfast instead. And it was superb - highly recommended.

“Terrific little place just off the Kensington High Street.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Really great place 100 yards of the High Street at Youngs St. Limited space means busy but friendly staff make up for slightly cramped feeling with super food and attentive service. The Full breakfast is great and the pancakes as good as you can get anywhere. True it's a couple of pounds over the odds but in this square mile it's almost a bargain.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
United States
“Manager with an attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went for a quick lunch today as this charming cafe is in my neighborhood.

The female server was welcoming and fast to set me up with a table.

With sun peaking through the clouds I opted for an outside table with a bit of warmth. The manager then came over and started opening the awning to shade the table. I said, "oh if you're closing that for me, I'm enjoying the sun and don't mind it". The manager said, "other people don't like being in the sun". Since there were only two tables outside and I had one, it was obvious that there wasn't anyone in the other. He relinquished closing with a quip "if someone else comes it will be closed!". OK then!

I looked over the menu which looked delicious - most items described as "home made". I told the server that I have an allium allergy; garlic, onions, shallots, leeks & chives. She said, "no problem" to my inquiry of the Salmon Tartar & Avocado. Stating that the chef would just make one without those ingredients.

She returned to say that wasn't possible, but, I could have any one of a few items the chef marked off as "safe" for me. I chose the Croque Monsieur. Then the manage came over and told me that garlic or onions is used in "everything" on the lunch menu except the Scrambled eggs and the Poached Salmon. Not interested in either I suggested leaving the Bechamel sauce off the Croque Monsieur. The manager told me that the chef makes all the Croque Monsieurs AHEAD AND THEY ALL HAVE THE SAUCE ON THEM!! Really??? After that asinine comment I decided that the manager wasn't having any "special orders" today. I ordered the Banana Bread. That arrived cloyingly sweet and very dry.

The manager attended to the other table several times and never made an attempt to look my way, and certainly didn't ask how the Banana Bread is. Clearly, if he were looking, he could see I took one bite and that was it.

After 1 1/2 hours (really, I'm not making this up) and the other table ate lunch, coffee & dessert and left the server came over and asked if I wanted coffee.

I told her the bread was dry and she apologized and took it off the bill. I then asked about the chef, could the chef really make everything AHEAD OF TIME, have no initiative to make a sandwich for a customer or be creative enough to avoid allium??? To be honest, I know that "special orders" are a pain - I'M A CHEF TOO. However, if you want repeat business accommodating someone is a nice gesture.

I was then told that the manager made up the story and just didn't want to serve me. WOW! I went inside and made a few comments to him about his attitude. He didn't care, no surprise.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the food was excellent. Scramblef eggs cooked perfectly with some of the tastiest mushrooms I had. The coffee was above average. Second, the view is nice if you sit outside, and the interior isn't so bad. Service was courteous and efficient. I would say the only downside is that the portions are a bit small for the price, but definitely one of the best breakfasts I had in London.

• Visited June 2013