“Yammas!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yialousa Greek Taverna

Yialousa Greek Taverna
18 Woburn Place, London WC1H 0LU, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)
+44 20 7837 4748
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury / Holborn
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Yammas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant only because it was opposite the hotel we were staying in and we were too tired to go further afield!
We were given a lovely welcome and we got the ball rolling by ordering an even lovelier bottle of Syrah!
We ordered greek sausage, grilled halloumi and broccoli soup. I didn't try the soup but apparently it was good and had a little kick. The sausage and halloumi were fine.
For main we had rabbit stifado, moussaka and lamb kleftikos. The stifado was very flavoursome, as was the lamb which melted in the mouth. I didn't try the moussaka but it was polished off and pronounced tasty! The portions were large and were served with beautifully cooked vegetables.
None of us could manage dessert but we did have coffee which was very good.
We left smiling!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The Worst Greek Restaurant Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I will start with the best part. The waitress was pleasant and efficient. There is nothing else that I could praise. The starters were the best part of the meze. A few Greek dips scooped from a tub with cold bread.
The main course looked appalling; almost cold and with such an unappealing appearance my wife refused to touch it.We left very quickly without finishing - so did several other people. The owner did not ask anyone if they had enjoyed their meal. Not too surprising really.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
England
“Pleasant food, good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm rather surprised by the negative reviews here - unless there has been a further change of staff. I ate on a Sunday evening, alone. I was welcomed into the restaurant by two girls who held the door for me, and offered a table in the corner. I found the service attentive; none of the waitresses were Greek, but the kitchen staff are. When I asked for a 5 minute break between courses, I was given it. There were some spiced Greek olives on the table. For a starter I had squid, which came in a tomato sauce and tasted pleasant. For my main course I chose stuffed pepper. This came with a lovely large fresh salad, Greek yoghurt, and tomato sauce. Afterwards I had baklava, which was lovely. The whole meal including half a bottle of house wine was just over £30.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“won't be going back again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Looks nice after the refurb. But unfortunately very poor. Chose the meze and very disappointed. Not sure what one of the meats were.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cockermouth
“Profoundly Disappinting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had dined here on many occasions in the past and found it to be friendly and good value for money. However, it is now under new ownership and bears no resemblence to its former self.
The waitresses were friendly and the food which my wife and our family ordered was satisfactory. My own was of little better than canteen quality, mushy and tastless.
Worse was to come when a man whom I assume to be restaurant manager explained that the bill contained a compulsory 10% 'service charge' which was for the management and not for the waitresses.
I paid the bill and gave our waitress a tip. Frankly, I was sorry for such a friendly young lady working in such a sad place.
We shall never return.