“Profoundly Disappinting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Yialousa Greek Taverna

Yialousa Greek Taverna
18 Woburn Place, London WC1H 0LU, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)
+44 20 7837 4748
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury / Holborn
Cockermouth
“Profoundly Disappinting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had dined here on many occasions in the past and found it to be friendly and good value for money. However, it is now under new ownership and bears no resemblence to its former self.
The waitresses were friendly and the food which my wife and our family ordered was satisfactory. My own was of little better than canteen quality, mushy and tastless.
Worse was to come when a man whom I assume to be restaurant manager explained that the bill contained a compulsory 10% 'service charge' which was for the management and not for the waitresses.
I paid the bill and gave our waitress a tip. Frankly, I was sorry for such a friendly young lady working in such a sad place.
We shall never return.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Makati, Philippines
“surprise!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was looking for a Greek restaurant. I am vegetarian and Greek salads and cheeses are quite good. so after a beer in London Pub I crossed the street.
food wasn't really good... wine (just a glass) was terrible
a group of six Taiwanese seat in front of my table and I saw a fight between the waitress (trying to sell them expensive food) and the clients ordering a different dish. embarrassing indeed. but the Taiwanese won...
no one Greek inside and almost all waitresses were Italian. one of them seated in the table close to me and she started eating like she did not eat in the past 2 weeks.
bill wasn't friendly at all and when I went out no one told me "goodbye" or "see you next time"!
they knew already I will not come back...

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Moscow, Russia
“The longest awaiting...of the worst service I've ever seen.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

It was about 22.00. Not a rush-hour at the restaurant. We made the order: one beer, spaghetti and two salmons. We've been waiting for more than 45 minutes and tried to find out what's going on ... (some nervous answears) ... and at the end we got nothing, only the bill for the beer.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible food and owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

We had just arrived in royal national hotel and decided to go to the closest restuarant which was unfortunately this one.
The mussel dish wasn't too bad but was filled with too much salt but the minestrone soup we ordered was terrible. Tasted worse than Campbell's two min soup. We the decided to order a main meal I share it was a pasta dish and it tasted terrible with no flavour and looked like it had just been microwaved not freshly cooked.

I guess this was expected of this restaurant when the owner is Asian and is dressed like a hippie goth with long hair.

Also when asked why we hadn't ordered another main my bf was honest and said the food sucked and instead of apologizing or asking what the problem was they recommended another dish to order like we wanted to spend more money when we had! Terrible pls avoid at all cost

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester
“Excellent food with good service, but beware double tipping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We chose the Meze dinner at around 15GBP, and the staff were very helpful at explaining what everything was, and ensuring that we were enjoying it. Starters were the usual range, and were fresh and tasty. There was a good range of meat and vegetable dishes, and the retsina was served cold as requested.

Our Greek coffee was exactly as requested (my son has a bit of sugar, I none). Many tavernas pre-mix sugar with the coffee, so I really appreciate those who consider people like me.
Unfortunately, I hit the "yes" button to add a gratuity, without first checking if a service charge had been included -- the service was good, but I wouldn't have added so much if I'd thought first.

• Visited June 2012