“Good location, poor stay” 2 of 5 stars

Dylan Apartments Kensington 60
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   60/109 Warwick Road, London SW5 9EJ, England   |
Ranked #427 of 535 London B&B and Inns
London
“Good location, poor stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed in a double room for a week. I must say, location is very good, in the vibrant earl's court, but it is simply an accomodation you would not stay for more than 3 days.
Cleanliness almost fictional. Room extremely small. Elevator not present (we were on the top floor and we had to do 4 floors of steep steps everytime).
Price is reasonable, for the area is cheap, but for the room I believe is overpriced.
We might spend £100 more next time but in a better place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my friend for 2 nights at the end of September, to be fair, our room could have been MUCH worse, according to some other reviews the room we had (317) was actually a renovated room, other people were not so fortunate by the sound of it.

On the plus side, the apartments are very close to Earl's court tube station, Earl's Court Road also has a flurry of restaurants, a couple of pubs and shops etc. Once inside the apartments we were met by a receptionist who, quite frankly, didn't seem too bothered about us, being friendly northern girls, we were excited about our trip to the capital and felt slightly let down by our greeting. The receptionist took a long time to find our booking which didn't fill us with confidence either, we were also asked for ID which was never mentioned anywhere on the website. We were given a key card for room 317, once I started walking upstairs I noticed the stains on the carpet, the very narrow staircase and the rather funny 'musty' smell in the air. It reminded me of cheap student housing. We walked right to the top of the building and could not find our room number! No 317 anywhere! Maybe it was our ignorance but the 3 must have stood for third floor or something. We dared to try our key on room 17 in the corner... it worked.

Our room was very small and very basic but clean as far as I could tell, there was a large flat screen on the wall, 2 single beds and minimal furniture. (folded chairs and table). The bathroom was teeny tiny, very narrow and tight although there was a new electric shower installed so that was a treat I suppose.

Overall our stay was okay, if all you want is somewhere to rest your head for a cheap price then this is for you. Based on other reviews I wouldn't stay here again. If you're wanting to stay in London it's worth paying that extra £10 or £20 to make sure you get somewhere decent.

• Stayed September 2012
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Room was very, very small but clean. Every day was there fresh towels. Room has a small kitchen. This hotel is a typical English building. 24hour reception desk. flat LCD DVD TV :)
100m away is big Tesco food shop open 24h. Good location, 150m from underground station and bus stop.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated quiet room with flat screen.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Newquay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights on a trip to London for my birthday, to say it wasn't what we were expecting is an understatement!
We'd booked online and looked through the photos and this place was certainly nothing like they would have you believe.
The hallway walls and carpets were filthy, the bed was so slanted we had trouble not rolling out mid sleep and the room was uncomfortably warm due to a sash window that had no means of keeping it ajar.
One evening, after being out on our feet for 12 hours, we realised our kettle was not working. We told the man on reception only to be told we'd have to wait till the morning. After a brain wave from myself, we tried the kettle in a different plug socket and found it to work. I must mention this socket was on the floor under a table. On telling the receptionist that it was the plug, so we could not use the toaster or microwave either, his response was for us to move everything to the socket on the floor!! Not really why we paid for a self catering apartment!
The bathroom stank of mould and bad eggs clearly from an awful water supply. The shower was a trickle of water that was either boiling hot or freezing cold, I couldn't even manage to wash the shampoo from my hair!
Luckily none of this dampened our spirits and we had an amazing holiday but we definately WILL NOT be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

For my upcoming 21st birthday I was given two nights in London and theatre tickets from my Gran as it has been something I've dreamed of doing for as long as I can remember. We booked everything in August and in October (why, I don't know) I read the reviews for DKA on here and for want of a better word was terrified of what we (my aunt and myself) would encounter and it left me with a feeling it would deflate the trip slightly.

Having been for said trip just this weekend I am pleased to say we struck lucky and were given a refurbished room: clean comfy beds, relatively spacious room and appliances that worked etc, no horrid smell and no rats (the part I was most terrified of) the room we were given put my fears to rest and the whole trip was out of this world fantastic!!

However, unless I could be guaranteed a refurbished room, I wouldn't stay there again. Not after the horror reviews I've read.

Location is ideal! We were so close to the Underground.

Room Tip: Room 311 *If I remember* It's the set of apts on the side across (diagonally) the road from Te...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked for 3 night in this hotel, because I have been deceived from the nice images put on the website. But the actual experience is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The room was extremely dirty, the furniture was very old and provided the room a very shabby appearance. The bathroom was almost unusable and the air aspirator was not working. Obviously, there were no windows for the air turn over. The reception was completely indifferent to all my complaints. In summary, I have been more than 10 times in London and I never saw so terrible conditions. And if I say "terrible" I think that for this accommodation is a compliment. I recommend everyone to avoid this hotel, because you can find in London far better conditions at the same price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abuja
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is the worst experience in my life. I booked and pre-paid for 3 nights, on getting to the apartment it was trouble all the way. From the rude receptionist to my room in the basement. The room was a joke. Once i opened the door, rats were on the run through the open window, everywhere was infested with rats and foul smell, the heater was not working, the bathrooms had leaks. The problems were never ending. I went back and asked for a refund since i cant stay in this kind of condition but the rude receptionist with a thick English ascent refused. I just had to forfeit my money and look for a more descent place to stay. Just avoid this place for your own good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dylan Apartments Kensington 60? Share your experiences!