“Try the Mac n Cheese, it is delicious...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The French Kitchen

The French Kitchen
95 - 97 High Holborn, London WC1V 6LF, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)
020 7242 4580
Improve this listing
Ranked #9,230 of 16,890 restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury / Holborn
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Try the Mac n Cheese, it is delicious...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

A bit pricey this restaurant, but well worth it - try the mac n cheese with a side of fries, it is delicious. I am ashamed to say I always order a burger when I go out to eat, but here I tried something else and I am so glad I did. I would recommend booking ahead if you can.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
London
“Average French bistro”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The first challenge with this place is what it's called. It seemed to have sneakily changed its name to Hush Brasserie between booking the table and arriving there! The result was that all our party walked past it several times. The location is a good one, however, being only a 5 minute walk from Holborn tube station.

My overall impression of the experience was average so if you want something reasonably safe in a central location, this may be for you, but don't expect anything stunning. It's not particularly good value - a group of us paid around £40 a head for a three course meal. The menu is primarily mainstream bistro with a few unusual dishes. Starters were of the asparagus and crab and avocado variety and mains typically steak and frites, chicken and frites, sea bass. All the food was OK nothing was actually bad but nothing special either. We had a couple of bottles of reasonably priced white wine. One small criticism of the dining room - which was generally very pleasant, open and airy - they have an open kitchen so your clothes do smell of cooking when you leave.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“A bit pricey but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had two breakfasts and dinner here while in London because it was conveniently located next door to our hotel, The Citadines High Holborn. Actually, we had our first meal in London here. We ate breakfast as we waited for our room to become available. The food was quite good. The eggs were always perfect - not too runny or hard. The creme brulee was fantastic. I think it was even better than I had in Paris. The service was great each time we ate here.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edgware, London
“Only average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My wife and met up some of our US relatives for Sunday lunch. The food was only average at best. The crab and avocado starter was OK but small and not that tasty, duck confit was fairly good but lacked real flavour. My wife was disappointed with her choices too. Our US relatives were possibly too polite to say much about the food. At least it was good to see them and they were staying nearby so it was convenient. Some items on the menu were not available when we arrived at 1.15 PM, surely they had not already sold out, there were not many other customers. A Pimms was requested but the eastern European waitress said they did not have any fruit !

Only good if you cannot get in elsewhere.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1,008 reviews 1,008 reviews
“Posh breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just as good as the big one. 3 of us ordered 2 full English breakfasts and eggs benedict excellent fresh coffee fresh orange fresh bread fresh everything but thats to be expected in the big smoke isn't it? Newspapers jolly staff it doesn't get any better in London I'd go every day.

• Visited July 2011