“Great location. Mediocre apartments.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fountain House Apartments

You added Fountain House Apartments to your Saves list
Fountain House Apartments
1, Lancaster terrace, London W2 3PF, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #325 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Houston, Texas
“Great location. Mediocre apartments.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We spent a week over Thanksging in apartment #8. These could be fabulous apartments with just a few improvements. Ventilation fans in the bathroom would prevent all the peeling paint. Some paint color on the walls would add some interest and highlight the architectural details. There are no table or floor lamps - only overhead lights. The walls are completely bare - some lovely artwork on the walls would have made it feel more finished. A coat tree or wall hooks near the front door would have been welcome.

The kitchen has been recently remodeled and it is fully fitted, but not stocked well. There were 19 kitchen knives of all sizes, but not a single spatula, corkscrew, or serving spoon. 12 different frying pans, but no lids to fit any of the pots and no colander. I've never stayed in an apartment that didn't come supplied with basic spices (salt, pepper, sugar).

The bathroom is huge and there was plenty of hot water for showers. The tile is sophisticated and well done. Bad ventilation has caused the paint to peel very badly making the place feel cheap and dirty.

The beds are hard, but springy and not uncomfortable. We all slept well. The white sheets and duvets were spotless. It would have been nice to have night stands with bedside lighting. The supplied lamp did not work. A dresser in the master bedroom would also have been an improvement.

The living room is odd. There are two fold-out sofabeds facing each other. This layout makes it completely impossible to open either one. A glass coffee table between the sofas further complicates the layout and creates a hazard which we all banged into many times. There is also a large dining table that is difficult to sit around in the tiny room. The sofabeds are FILTHY and badly in need of replacement. We placed bath towels on them before sitting. Again, no floor or table lighting makes this a difficult room in which to spend any time.

The washer/dryer was the main reason we chose to stay here, but it would not drain or dry our clothes. The housekeeping staff graciously washed and dryed our laundry for us. Several complaints to the front desk did not result in any attempt to determine the problem with the washer.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed about 1 week at the penthouse with 4 bedroom and 4 bathroom.
It is a nice penthouse, clean, spacious, every bathroom has bidet!, complete amenities.
Staff are helpful.
Very near to Lancaster Gate tube station and Hyde Park

Disadvantage:
You cannot park near the roadside since it is right in front of a corner. So it is really troublesome for those who travel with heavy and big bags. Plus, the lift is very small.......

Room Tip: Choose the penthouse :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

beautiful pent house at level 7 and very good service, very close to underground station, facing the Hyde Park every Sunday there will be a lots of people selling painting at the corner of the apartment.

Room Tip: if you come more than 3 person this is the place ask for pent house at level 7
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Visit London 2 weeks ago. Stay with my kids in fountain house was a great experience and excellent hospitality. Now I know that London people and very kind and friendly. We rented 2 bed rooms apt which was facing towards Hyde Park....when the sun come up every morning a very gentle breeze will fill the apt with fragrance of flower and fresh air.
Apt was excellent and rooms were cleans and staff was very friendly and helpful...during the stay we were feeling like at home.
Me and my kids enjoy our week of stay in London and have lots of fun.We will remember it for ever.

Room Tip: I like my 2 bed rooms Apt 2nd floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Islamabad, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are a family of 5, we stayed in a 2 bedroom Superior apartment at Fountain House, we stayed end of August for 1 week. , the staff were very good and helpful.

Flat was nicely decorated and clean, Apartment had a good view to Hyde Park which is really a beautiful place and all you have to do is to leave the building

and cross over the street and you are there at Hyde Park, so many Bus Routes and also the Metro station is again across the street

Price is very reasonable, Location is fantastic, Service and Staff are friendly, the apartment itself is very nice and has A.C.

My other sister lives in America and next year we will meet in London hopefully at Fountain house.

Maid service is daily except Sunday. Just to say thank you for the good time we had.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I rented a 2 bedroom apartment for a week specifically paying for a "superior newly refurbished". Both qualifications are subjective but my impression is that the latest refurbishment has been done several years ago to say the least. Pictures have nothing to do with reality. I checked in and when I got to see the apartment I went down to look for an alternative. Unfortunately, they charged me the full amount in advance so I had to stayed with the same with Maykenbel Properties. They offered me an alternative 3 bedroom in a much better property. I asked and they told me it was refurbished two years ago and it was in very good condition. Obviously, I had to pay 50% more but I had no alternative as I had to find housing asap. My advice is try the best to have someone of your trust to review these properties before renting. Staff was kind, I have to acknowledge that.

Room Tip: Check it for yourself before you rent.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed with my family of 6 (me, my wife and 4 children), at the Fountain House Apartments (#1 Lancaster Terrace, London) during the period 2 - 18 July 2012 (around 3 weeks). We stayed in a 3 bed room apartment # 307, and our experience was great from all aspects. The location is strategically superb, across the road from Hyde Park gate, within walking distance to all facilities and supermarkets. Within walking distance to Oxford St, Edgward Road, Marble Arch, and many other fascinating areas. The immediate neighborhood is great and friendly. Immediately adjacent to underground station and bus station. The apartment itself was very comfortable, the rooms were very well furnished and clean, the houskeeping service was superb, the kitchen was fully equipped and spacious, and most of all it had a spectacular view of the park.
Most important aspect contributing to my and my family's satisfaction during our holiday stay in Fountain House London, was the courteous and superbly hepful staff managing the apartment building. We enjoyed beautiful reception and always ready to assist response by all. I'd like to mention a specific incident that really touched me and my family in a very positive way. One day, my 19 years old daughter fell while jogging in the park and injured her knee. When I sked the lady at reception Ms Taraneh for directions to the nearest pharmacy or medical center, first of all she offered her direct personal assistance in providing first aid assistance, and secondly when I (being a protective father) still wished to see further medical attention (despite the wound being superficial), she did not only suffice by giving me directions, but walked with us to the pharmacy and clinic next block. This is what I call going beyond the call of duty, Many thanks Ms Taraneh. Many thanks also to Mr Alex and the rest of the team all of whom ewere always courteous and helpful. After all it's not only buildings and facilities that make excellent experiences, but certainly the professional humans behind running them. Thanks again and I would certainly go again to this place during my next holidays with the family, and have no hesitation in recommending it to anybody. Best regards, (Samir)

Room Tip: Apartments with view to the park ..
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fountain House Apartments? Share your experiences!