“london sights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elmwood Hotel

You added Elmwood Hotel to your Saves list
Elmwood Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   19 Argyle square | Kings cross London, London WC1 H8AS, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #332 of 535 London B&B and Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Haifa, Hefa, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed there a year ago so my review is writing with much gooder eye than it should be.

The bad things-
-The bad is awful (i stayed in a single room) and it's tiny and the mattress is really bumpy and the thought i had the first night was "how would i stand it for 8 nights?!" well, it's get better after one night (lucky back)
-The shower reminded me the worst facilities (and even there be sure you have place to put your soap/shampoo).
Really uncomfortable and skimpy, and the fact it was all small made it worse.
-Breakfest, my friend did and enjoyed it +/-, me not so much, i barely ate it, very basic toasts (you need to wait some time to get) jams, cold boild egg, horrbile orange juice from a box (like in all london). i recommend order something small in the burger king near by or somewhere else- much teaster :)
-Ladies- you will need to ask for a air dryer- and hope it's not all used (??) i got it a few hours after i asked for it but they needed to check if they have a spare one..
-pretty noisy from out side if you are staying in the new year like us.

The good things-
-Helpful stuff
-clean rooms
-24 hours reception

The bottom line is i won't be back to this hotel, i think you can get more in the same amount, it's poor and it's supposed to be for a 2 stars hotel.
The mattress and lack of thinking of more basic stuff really lower the rate for me.
But it's not the worse and the good stuff covers more or less.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear our client,
Let me first of all to thank you for your time to write your feedback about your last year stay at the London Elmwood hotel, and to clearly correct your information about the 2 stars hotel as you mentioned, We are bed & Breakfast hotel, or you can call it budget hotel in the city centre,
We are not a star rated, but all our rooms are en-suite with shower and toilet,
I would like to apology to you for the inconvenience caused to you, as you expected a star rated hotel and 4 or 5 star facility for a little money you paid,
Our breakfast as it was advertised is fully continental breakfast which you forgot to mention that there is a cheese, ham, yogurts,boiled eggs, cornflakes,toast,jam,butter, Juice, coffee & tea ,
Sorry if you didn't like all of that,
We do have plenty of hair dryers at the reception and you can ask and get yours without any problem same as you asked and you got one,
I am sorry to hear from you that you were disappointed from the service ,
But we promise to improve our service and hope to see you again.
Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you are expecting a hostel, then you will be pleasantly surprised by your room. We unfortunately were expecting a hotel. My husband and I found ourselves stuck in London an extra night when our train to Paris was delayed 24 hrs. Elmwood was close to St. Pancras Station where our train departed. This "hotel" is more like a house that's had bathrooms added to each bedroom. The room was teeny, tiny and COLD! Even with the radiator on hi for hours. I imagine in the summer it would be equally hot. Three beds were squished into the room, two extra narrow, and one hammock-y, "full sized" bed, with about a foot between each bed. The bathroom was miniscule, but in it's defense- spotless. However the plunger stood naked next to the toilet. Gross. The room itself was also clean, again, it would make a lovely hostel. Except for the ratty underblanket on each of the beds, the kind that collects hair. I can't tell you how many strands of hair I pulled off of myself afterwards. Oh, and we paid $201 for our lovely hostel experience :) Our fabulous hotel at Club Quarters in Trafalgar Square was less, granted that was with advanced booking. I've never been, but try Thistle Euston if you find yourself in that neck of the woods on short notice, the reviews seemed good.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear our Guest,
Let me first of all to thank you for your time that you spent to
Write your review on Tripadvisir,
Firstly please accept my deep apologies for the incoveience caused during your stay, let me explain
The fact to you that Elmwoid hotel, is a budget hotel in the city centre of London,
You booked a Quad room , room with 1 double and 2 single beds, en suite with breakfast and taxes
Which is 20 percent VAT and 24 percent city tax , which is £150 for this room is
Red able for the are, I am so sorry that you didn't like the standard,
But we advertise Elmwood hotel as a budget place, we are not a star rated,
But we take care if the cleaning very well and we try to improve our service year after year,
Please accept my regards from London, wishing you and your family all the best, and I hope to see you in the near future to thank you personaly for your feedback, which I will raise all your mentioned points to our Directors, to deal with as soon as possibile ,
Lyon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

For the price, good value, comfortable room (not a lot of space but fine), friendly service, very convenient location, decent breakfast included, don't expect luxury, but I would come again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear our guest,
Thank you really for your smart , polite and positive
Feedback on tripadvoisir, we are truly glad the we managed
To satisfy you in order to provide the best hospitality ever
With our limited standard , we thank you for the stay and we wish
To see you again in the near future,
John Girgis

Been to Elmwood Hotel? Share your experiences!