“Don't drink the tea” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, British, Brasserie
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Tube - Earls Court; Bus - 14, 74, 148, 328, C1, C3
Description: Located at 239 Old Brompton Street, Balans is open from 7.30am until midnight Monday to Friday and Sundays. On Fridays and Saturdays it stays open till 1am. The comfortable dining room and conservatory offer the perfect location to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner. Balans offers a seasonal menu as well as changing daily specials using the best and freshest ingredients available. Breakfast specialities include eggs Benedict, blueberry pancakes as well as a traditional English breakfast. House specialities are steaks, seafood, the famous Balans burger as well as truly tempting desserts. With a varied modern brasserie style menu Balans really hits the spot. Balans also offers an extensive wine menu and a cocktail bar serving a wide range of delicious drinks, including martinis, mojitos and frozen daiquiris. Famous for a warm welcome and friendly service, Balans Earls Court is the perfect place for a great dining experience.
Sydney, Australia
“Don't drink the tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We've been going to Balans West for Sunday Brunch for many years and they do an excellent eggs benedict. The service is friendly but efficient and it had a nice atmosphere.

However, I get the feeling that whoever buys the tea for the Balans group is a coffee drinker - the so-called "English Breakfast" tea is as weak as dishwater and while it is served in an infuser with a filter, you could leave it there all day and it still wouldn't taste of anything.

My tip - take you're own tea bags and ask for some boiling water.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Amazing Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

This place is a gem! We stumbled across it for a late lunch and it was amazing! Breakfast until 1700 and amazing salads and food! I had the falafel wrap which was fantastic and my partner Bacon and Spinach salad which was also fantastic! Prices are really good too!

London, UK
“Disappointed with food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We used to be regulars of both Balans on High Street Kensington and on Earls Court and loved the atmosphere of the Earls Court restaurant, and always quite happy with the food served there. However this time I was really disappointed with the food and the service.

I ordered gnocchi pomodoro and when it came the mushrooms were burnt. As most of them tasted like charcoal I complained about it. I was however told that it was the way they should be but that they would kindly replace them by less cooked mushrooms.

When the waitress brought the plate back she said she had confirmation from the cook that it was the way the mushrooms had to be cooked, i.e. dried as much as possible. My remark that they were not dried but burnt got ignored. The new mushrooms were undercooked and the tomato sauce had a marked burnt taste to it but I did not complain any further.

I find baffling to be basically told that I don't know anything about (supposedly good) food and how things are done when a simple 'sorry the mushrooms remained 30 seconds too long in the pan' would have been great. Also going from one extreme (overcooked) to the other (undercooked) took me slightly aback.

I hope that I was just unlucky this time but quite surprised about the way the situation was handled.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Megan B, Public Relations Manager at Balans Earls Court, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Customer,

On behalf of Balans I am truly sorry that you had an unpleasant experience recently. We are always glad to hear feedback whether it be positive or negative and are always looking to improve.

I do hope you come and give us another try.
London, United Kingdom
“Melt in your Mouth Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

i am quite choosy with my meals and I'm not one for 'light' portions. Going to a restaurant I expect nice hearty food that makes me miss it days later. That is exactly what Balans did. Among the beautiful music by The Giacomo Smith Trio and the lovely waiters and staff, the feeling was unique and the food was simply amazing.
Many restaurants lack on these simple qualities of creating a great atmosphere- but Balans definitely isn't one of them.
I was born and raised in London and try to go to different restaurants to spice up the mundane feeling of take-aways and home cooked meals and I would recommend this place to anyone who would like a little variety and a memorable experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for a fantastic recommendation. We are delighted you enjoyed your night with us and we hope to see you again very soon!
London, United Kingdom
“THE BEST Eggs Benedict”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I come here time and time and time again for brunch on the weekends (even across town now, as I no longer live in Earls Court). Simply the best Eggs Benedict in London, period.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. Hopefully we'll see you again soon!