“A+ Service, lovely staff and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel

The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel | Albermarle Street, London W1S 4BP, England (Mayfair)
+44 2074936020
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,312 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Awarded 'Top London Afternoon Tea 2009' by The Tea Guild, The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel in London is a tribute to all things English. Decorated with wooden panelling and ornate ceilings, the English Tea Room takes this tradition to another level, recognised by also receiving The Tea Guild's 'Award of Excellence' two years in a row. As well as enjoying sandwiches and a selection of teas - including Brown's own blend - you can indulge in delights such as warm scones with champagne strawberry jam and clotted cream, passion fruit tennis balls, Pimm's jelly, strawberry tartlets and raspberry macaroons; all of these can be enjoyed as you listen to the sounds of the Baby Grand Piano. Traditional Afternoon Tea costs £39.50 per person.
Paris, France
“A+ Service, lovely staff and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On a day trip to London from Paris we decided to stop for some afternoon tea at Brown's as it had been recommended by a friend who loved it and it did not disappoint! Lovely staff, very attentive and efficient, tea was delicious, pastries - superb, we had two plates!! Looking forward to our next visit :)

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Just Too Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have sampled the Afternoon Teas at a number of London Hotels and some other around the Country. We often have tea if we are going to the theatre, as the timing works well and it can be very satisfying and enjoyable.

This was the second time at Browns, having enjoyed tea there quite a few years ago. This time it was a little disappointing and really not value for money. The service was very attentive and the staff took the trouble to see that everyone, especially those who had not experienced English Afternoon Tea before, knew what they were going to have to eat and drink.

There was a good selection of very fresh sandwiches and plenty of them. The dainty pastries were a little disappointing, as so often in other establishments recently. The high quality pastries having been replaced by slightly strange creations, mousses, cup cakes (ugh!) and brownies.

The scones were very good and fresh and the cream generous and of good quality; so too was the excellent strawberry jam. To finish there was Victoria sponge, which was spoilt by an over-powering artificial cream, or Simnel cake, which was good, with plenty of fruit. Accompanying all this was plenty of fine tea of various blends.

The problem was the price. Since the Olympics the London hotels seem to have decided that Afternoon Tea is a good way to make a lot of money out of tourists and they have simply made the price too high. I have given this Tea three stars because I recognize that London simply is very expensive, but on absolute value for money it could have been only two stars.

We paid £89 for two people. (This included a 12.5% service charge.) That is for two plates of sandwiches, four small scones, cream and jam, some small fancy "pastries," a hot-cross bun and two slices of cake (sponge or simnel) and plenty of tea. These are not expensive items and this sort of price is too high. Having been great fans of Afternoon Tea in London, we shall not be bothering again. All the hotels are charging similar prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brentwood UK
“Very impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My daughter booked this for her mum for Mother's Day. SE is celiac so has gluten free cakes and sandwiches. She had a whole cake stand for herself! Our table was booked for 4pm but they forgot about us waiting in the bar! They gave us a substantial discount for their mistake! Could not fault anything, n
Mind you, you pay for the privilege! If you have a special occasion go! Looking forward to Fathers Day!

Neath
“A relaxing afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked the afternoon tea for two. It is very much the experience you pay for - you are well looked after but the prices make it a 'special occasion' event for most of us rather than an everyday event. We spent £100+ a little for the tea plus some rose champagne, service etc.

I have to eat gluten free and I gave advance notice and Browns came up trumps! I had both white and brown gluten free bread with cucumber, salmon, coronation chicken and ham etc. fillings. The tray was replenished, too!

There were 5 or 6 gluten free cakes plus 5 gluten free scones with jam and cream; in fact a little too much for me to finish.

Service was attentive and the room ambience was very good. Toilets were very, very clean. My only (minor) compliant would be that my low level chair (which was able to swivel) was a little uncomfortable and seemed not to match some of the more comfortable looking wing chairs. Luck of the draw I suppose...

Overall a very enjoyable experience.

East Sussex
“Perfect Mother's Day Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Wow - what an experience. From being whisked out of the taxi and greeted by a traditionally liveried concierge, escorted inside the hotel, coat and scarf taken and then accompanied into the bar to await the arrival of my daughter to join me for afternoon tea,... how pampered and valued did I feel!!! Bar staff went out of their way to make me feel at ease whilst I awaited my daughter who had been delayed. Within seconds of her arrival, we were taken to a lovely table and the whole, wonderful afternoon tea ritual began. The staff are exceptional - the service impeccable and nothing was too much trouble. We felt truly pampered and indulged. Choice of champagne and tea was offered and staff went to great lengths to describe each product.. No sooner had we finished a plate of sandwiches or cakes, than another was brought along for us until we had to cry "stop" - we can't eat any more!! Staff are utterly discreet, unobtrusive yet highly attentive and responsive to customers. This was a very, very special experience and I felt thoroughly spoilt. Will definitely pay a return visit and would highly recommend it. The most outstanding difference between Brown's and other similar Afternoon Tea experiences is that I felt completely at ease and very relaxed. I haven't felt the same in other establishments where the formality of the occasion has dominated. Can't recommend Brown's enough - I can't wait to return - daughter are you listening?????