“Afternoon Tea” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Squares

Squares
Whitcomb Street | Trafalgar Square, London WC2H 7HG, England (Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue)
+44(0)2079257000
Improve this listing
Ranked #13,686 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue
Description: Squares is recognised as a restaurant that offers high quality food and superior service. Situated within The Royal Trafalgar Thistle Hotel, Squares is ideally located just five minutes' walk from Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square tube stations. On a quiet street adjacent to the National Gallery, the kitchen team creates quarterly changing menus using the best seasonal and regional produce. Squares offers a delicious selection of modern European cuisine, with a covered terrace for year-round al fresco dining.
London, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Bought 2 afternoon teas for myself and a friend on special offer on website. Which are usually good value.

Not so at this place, the tea frugal and the service poor. The staff seemed to think they were doing you a favour by serving you. That is when you could attract their attention.

Very disappointing, never mind just will not go again.

Room Tip: Din not stay so non applicable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
“"Luxury" Afternoon Tea at the Royal Trafalgar Thistle Hotel- hmmmm !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

21st june 2012 - had booked with a special deal from KGB DEALS for the luxury tea for two package - usual price "worth up to £60 at The Royal Trafalgar Thistle Hotel"
very cleverly worded, as it certainly wasn't worth £60.00 and the food & presentation were nothing much like the picture on the hotel's website, much to my embarrassment, as it was a birthday treat for a friend.
we were seated in some sort of departure lobby. no tablecloths at all - coffee was served directly in a cup - not a pot, tea in a small porcelain pot - no "silver" coffee or tea pots . 2 tiny tarts 2 tiny bits of cake & 2 scones . 2 of the sandwich portions looked and tasted as though they contained salad cream (only) - no coffee or tea refills were offered.
found some very truthful pics on facebook which replicated my own experience
i assume therefore that the contents of the actual meal/experience were devalued specially to fit in with the cheaper price reflected in the offer. quite a big misrepresentation therefore , as
i find it hard to believe that anyone could get away with charging £60.00 for this normally.
KGB STILL OFFERING THIS DEAL, though i cannot believe that i'm the only one who contacted them afterwards to express my dismay

Gravesend, Kent. England
“Shambolic”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My daughter treated me to a high tea at The Royal for my birthday and we went last Friday. Booked for 2.30 we were on time. Oldish couple already there as were a younger couple. The older couple had there pot of tea but we didn't realise that they hadn't yet had their champers. After a little while the young couple were given their sandwiches - older couple still waiting for champers. Young couple were now given champers, we hadn't had anything. Young couple were now given plates to eat their sandwiches from - older couple still waiting as were we. Man from the older couple gets out a bag of crisps and begins to eat them at which point a waiter approaches and asks if everything is OK!! By now we were given our champers and everything arrived when it should, just very late. Still waiting, the older couple eventually got up and left when the younger couple were served with their coffee. The waiting staff didn't have a clue who had been served or what with - it was only when the next shift came on duty that things improved. My daughter was so embarrassed and kept apologising but I must admit I found it all quite amusing!

“Wowcher came in handy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Had a voucher that got us an afternoon tea for two for 19 quid.
Service was lovely, the little guy with the high pitched voice was lovely, very helpful and polite, I was a bit worried at 1st because I didn't know if we would get treated different because of a voucher usage.
Anyways, we didn't, the three tier cake stand came out with mini sandwiches and cakes, a slate came out with three scones all was fine. I changed my sparking wine for an Appletizer, and my partner ate the smoked salmon sarnies, I must admit, had I thought it through, I would have called ahead to ask for a vegi selection of sandwiches.
There was lettuce with egg mayo, ham tomato and mustard and smoked salmon.
The top tier had three cakes, carrot. Chocolate and a strawberry tart, I don't get why you'd have three per two people, same with the scones, but hey, not an issue.
For 19 quid, I liked what we got, I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price. Was a nice way to kill some time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North West England
“Meal before the theatre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The price was reasonable but the food was a bit underpowered

Visited January 2012