“A good value, budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 43

You added Hotel 43 to your Saves list
Hotel 43
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   43 Queensborough Terrace, London W2 3SY, England   |
Ranked #221 of 542 London B&B and Inns
Houston
“A good value, budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Prior to booking I saw mixed reviews on this hotel... either "great" or "awful." I found it to be a good value, clean, budget hotel. I was traveling alone and spent two days in London before and after joining up with my tour group in Exeter. I have been to London several times and know how expensive it can be. I chose Hotel 43 due to proximity to Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) and the low cost. (GBP70) When I first checked in I was surprised at the miniscule size of the room, single twin bed and small bath. However, once I settled in all was fine. The bath was quite modern, if small and the bed surprisingly comfortable. English breakfast included hard boiled eggs, cheese and cold cuts served in a cramped, but adequate basement room. Other reviews have critcized the unfriendly staff. I think it is a language issue, as they were helpful but not chatty. I had the same room on my return trip a week later. WiFi worked well first two nights but not on return trip. Queensborough Terrace is a mixed residential street where several of the flats have been converted to small hotels. It is very close to the Bayswater tube stop and Hyde Park. There are numerous moderately priced ethnic restaurants nearby. It is much nicer than staying right by the train station. For a couple or family I would suggest the adjacent sister property Hotel 39, with larger rooms and kitchenette. I noticed most of the guests were from the continent, where small, budget accommodations are quite common. On a return trip I will look for other, nicer properties on Queensborough Terrace, but I will definitely choose this area given the location, value and convenience to public transportation. The night before my departure I asked the front desk for a taxi for a 6 am to Paddington Station. The driver was waiting for me, but it was an unmarked cab and he charged twice the fare (GBP12) that I had paid a regular cabbie on my arrival trip. No complaints as I could not have hailed a cab at that time, but I should have asked the fare in advance.

Room Tip: I had a third floor room with window. Some rooms are interior with no window and should be avoided.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rhodes Town, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Although it is centrally located, this hotel has many disadvantages. First, you can not communicate with the reception as the staff does not understand English (!!!) very well. Second, although our triple room became double after three days, we were charged as triple. And the staff still could not understand. Third, the plumbing of the building are the worse you can imagine. Every time you or any guest of the hotel visited the bathroom, a terrible noise started. We bought earplugs in order to sleep a couple of hours. So, choose something else if you want to be fresh and relaxed every morning. We did not have breakfast so I can't say anything about it. But the breakfast room was on the basement (underground).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

This was the 2nd time to this hotel as we really enjoyed the first time we did get a different room and the only complaint was the broken tiles on the bathroom floor they were a bit sharp the room was spot on and again the location is great the staff are lovely at breakfast and the girl on reception was ever so nice. probably try another hotel next time just to compare. Hotel43 could do with a lick of paint in the rooms but apart from that nothing to complain about

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

me and my girlfriend stayed at the hotel 43 in London the 28 May for one night and we paid 149 pounds for the accommodation and the breakfast.
Unfortunately we did not enjoy our stay and we were very disappointed at the end.
At our arrival they gave us a room in a different building (called 39) unfortunately this was not mentioned before, and the pictures shown on booking.com depicted the hotel 43 only so we were misled in our choice.
The room did not match our expectations:

-the furniture was poor
-the carpet was dirty
-there were hairs on sheets (very disgusting)
-there were two centimeters gap between the door and the carpet so during the night the light and noises from the corridor prevented us from having a good rest
-finally the breakfast was very bad, very poor both in quantity and quality, I was not able to finish my cappuccino.

I'll never come back in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I feel compelled to leave a review as i don't think people are giving a very fair review of this hotel.
I booked the accomodation before reading the tripadvisor comments and was very concerned about what we would find when we got there. I am pleased to say no worries were necessary.
We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff (all staff were extremely friendly and polite throughout our stay. They were defiantely not rude!!! I don't know where people are getting that from!!!)
Our room,although small,was extremely clean,the bathroom was spotless (and i consider myself to be quite fussy when it comes to hotel cleanliness). A lot of people on here are moaning about the size of the rooms-i can see their point of view,but we all know that it's not how big it is,its what you do with it that counts :-) and this business works well as it is. It does clearly state that it's an alternative hotel-Picture a double bedroom with an ensuite rather than a 'traditional' hotel room-thats the size of the room you should expect.
If it's a romantic luxurious break your after this isn't the hotel for you. If however you want somewhere to freshen up and get a good nights sleep,this will more than suffice. We spent two nights there and we both slept soundly both nights,we were in room 201 and definately did not have any unwanted noise!
I know i'm going on a bit but i just don't know where people are getting all this negativity from. Obviously,i can only comment on our personal experience,but the 'rude' 'dirty' 'awful' comments are definately not a fair reflection of this hotel. It's really not that bad!
The location for sightseeing etc is excellent,and with a 24 hour reception you can just come and go as you please. The hotel is on a street full of other hotels,it's very safe,well lit and there are always people about.
Please do not be put off by other peoples comments! Go with an open mind and hopefully you'll receive the same peaceful,pleasant stay that we experienced! :-)

Room Tip: We were on the second floor,this was very quiet :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Arriving at the hotel I was told my card was declined and cancelled giving me no reason as to why it was as the hotel doesnt take payment straight away even so I always have money in my account besides this the receptionist was really rude, eventually gettin a suite next door for the same price I got to the room to find a dull but ok sized room, on closer inspection the tiles in the bathroom
Were loose and not croutes and cracked there were no toiletries and toilet roll holder had come of and was just shoved on the loo, the hard White towels provided weren't White and still had marks on them also there were no tea/coffee/sugar provided which is standard in all other hotels I have stayed in. When it came to breakfast this was the topper of disappoint as it was a selection of 2 cereal, cold soggy toast, cold boiled eggs, ham, cheese and very dry croissants, all I can say is my tea was decent, after having such a lovely time in London I could t wait to return home because of where I stayed and will not be returning. Ps loved travelling with Henry the Hoover in the lift ....

• Stayed June 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Apart from the fact that the staff where so rude and only interested in getting rid of us because their was other people behind us!!! We booked the hotel before xmas and upon arrival was told that it had been cancelled because their was insufficient fends....... I DON'T THINK SO!! When asked as to why the money was taken out before we had even arrived the reply was..... We wanted to make sure you where coming!! (Although the booking confirmation clearly stated that the money would be taken as we checked in. We had paid for a room in the hotel 43 but ended up in a very small unclean room with numorous problems ie:
The big window would not lock.
The door would not lock.
Their was no a/c (which was included in our price for the night)
The bed bottom sheet looked as though it had been used (creased).
Their was a hair dryer that stopped from overheating (about 10seconds).
Towels supplied were damp and had stain marks (lucky I took my own)
The only reason we stayed was so we were able to go to the hard rock concert and have a great time without having to travel back to nottinghamshire at 11pm.
Overall we were so dissapointed that it has put us off returning to London again.
Oh! And one last thing it stated on my booking form that a full cooked english breakfast was included and was greated with cold chewy toast cold boiled eggs(un-fresh) and when I asked how long for the cooked breakfast no-one (out of 4 people) could understand what I was asking for. When i handed the keycard back to reception it was snatched out of my hand and as I asked if I had to sign it out was told 'to go away I'm on the phone to my friend, can't you see that'....... I mean how rude,
Never again will I stop at this hotel or London for that matter. So thank you hotel 43 for your absolutely horrible stay!!.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Hotel 43? Share your experiences!