“Sketch Lecture Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of sketch Lecture Room and Library

sketch Lecture Room and Library
9 Conduit Street, London W1S 2XJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 870 777 4488
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
sketch Lecture Room and Library is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #389 of 16,890 restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Description: Located on the first floor, the Lecture Room & Library at sketch boasts an elegant high-ceilinged dining room and a Michelin star. French master chef Pierre Gagnaire has adapted his distinctive menu style to create a range of unique menus that include an affordable Gourmet Rapide set lunch, in addition to the full à la carte and tasting menus. Each dish combines top-quality ingredients to create exquisite tastes and sensations, with menu highlights including the legendary starter – Langoustine Five Ways; a main course of pan-fried fillet of Simmental beef; and the indulgent Grand Dessert – five miniature signature delicacies. An award-winning international wine list of 1,200 bins is carefully chosen to complement the food
London
“Sketch Lecture Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Visited the Lecture room at Sketch...Decor, Archituture wow...amazing...Service brilliant...Food Great...
But don't sit near the window !!
The ventilation enters the room from under the window and we sat freezing for 6 courses...finally had to move when they couldn't correct the temperature...so this spoilt it really as there were no other tables so had to sit at the coffee table in the lounge...

• Visited February 2013

85% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“Always a Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you want a great dining experience., this place is fantastic.

Not enough words can express how I love this place. You get treated like royalty but not over
the top.

The library dining room is cozy and decorated quite tastefully.

We came to London In December 2011 to celebrate our 25th anniversary not March 2012 (as in the visit selection).

The service is divine, the food is presented with great artistry but not pretentious. The wine well what can I say fantastic. Dessert mmmmmmmm. This is meal that you savor for its presentation and taste.

The cheese selection well oh enough cannot be said. Delicious.........

All in all the servers cannot do enough for you and make you feel comfortable and welcome.

I will always come back to this place to celebrate the experience of food and wine with a dash of artistry...

Moi magnificent!!!!!!

• Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great Ambience, very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The ambience and decor is WOW! we were received by the Manager who toured us around the various outlets of the Sketch, and finally, we entered the Lecture room. A small and warm room that takes you back in time where you feel that Shakespeare is about to come out any time. The service at the lecture room, was not to our expectation, not friendly and warm enough, and seemed to be in a hurry! the sommelier, though was excellent. The food was not to our expectation as well (2 Michelin star), it was very good, but not WOW!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
St Albans
“Wow .... a foodies paradise!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We arrived a little early for lunch and it being cold outside took refuge in the first floor parlour at Sketch with its quirky but fun ambience. On the dot of twelve we were picked up by the House Manager, Henry and this was the start of a sublime couple of hours, in what turned out to be a food experience not just a meal. I can well understand why Pierre Gagnaire has now received a second Michelin star as the meal we had, put food onto a quite different level from that we have experienced at many of London's other reputable eating establishments. Some of these, whilst serving good quality food are bland and boring ....words you could not possibly relate to Sketch and its innovative and delicious food offerings. It is not as extreme as say Heston but it does offer some inventive food combinations but these worked and were cooked and presented sublimely. Equally although complex and requiring great skill, the cooking was not over indulgent or so involved as to offer a confusion of tastes and the presentation was not so over fussy as to confuse food with marketing. Instead I have to say it opened my eyes to a different level of cookery and one that was an utter delight and put a smile on my face.

The staircase up to the Lecture Room and Library,, which comprises the main resturnt at Sketch is impressive if a little OTT (and I won't even mention the loos .... they will remain a fun surprise) but the actual dining room, when the doors were thrown open was a wow and not at all gaudy but an oasis of comfort and calm. We had an aperitif whilst browsing the menu of our chosen menu Gourmet Rapido, from which you can choose two (£35) or three courses (£40) . We chose the latter but the version which included bottled water, a half bottle of wine per person, coffee and petit fours. For £53 per person it proved to be an absolute bargain given the quality of the food on offer.

We started with a selection of amuse bouche, which was almost like a 'palette detox' in providing a range of tastes and textures to prepare you for the three courses. There were wonderful parmean bakes, cumin crackers with a dip, a tartlet of goats cheese, a blue cheese macaroon and a kombu shot amongst others. Bread was served in bowls accompanied by either salted or seweed butter ..... and this was just the pre taste .... we dived in and started the exploration.

Next came the first course... the feuilletes .... you don't get a choice but are served all four and they were a total revelation in their ingenuity, their flavour and their taste combinations. There was the blissful square of poached skate in a turnipy soup with delicate chopped Granny Smith apple and there was the incredible taste of oyster covered in crystally ice and served with coriander and of all things a slice of banana but it worked wonderfully. There was also a superb artichoke taster and finally Foie Gras Ringo Starr....a rich creamy fois gras with a thin piece of dark chocolate and again a sublime match. Do not be put off by the combinations, as I might well have been before experiencing them .... they take food tasting to a quite different level, if you suspend your mind and put yorself in M. Gagnaie's hands.

The mains were equally as delicious with my wife having Guinea Fowl and myself the Gambas both with wonderful accompaniments of a more straightforward nature but no worse for being less surprising than the starter combinations. One had a choice of two French wines; a Picpoul de Pinet or a Pinot Noir and they were served excellently.

This brings me onto the dessert or should I say desserts as one had three,which were all absolute triumphs ... and I am not supposed to be over keen on desserts! Firstly there was an Alize tartlet, a creamy concoction of I do not know what but of wonderful taste and textures. Then there was a lemon parfait to die for and finally roasted pinepple and coconut with a caramel tuile.

Coffee, petit fours and even a peanut brittle provided an excellent end to what had been a superb food experience. This was indeed a foodies paradise and one that one could partake in without having to break the bank.

Apologies if i have gone on but I was enthralled and enthused by the experience and whenever this happens.... I babble.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“I Have Been To Heaven And Back Tonight !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the start when you walk in you just know this is going to be a dining experience to tell your friends. First we were shown through the roped off area to the Lecture Room which is up stairs and has a full a’la Carte menu on the way up to the room we were shown the toilets “Wow full Swarovski crystal very bling but very nice with it, then when the door opened to the restaurant you just new this was going to be great night, Now my party of six went through most of the menu and to be honest it does look just a little bit confusing but please don’t worry be the waiter explains all the dishes and don’t be afraid to ask if you are not sure they don’t bite, For starters I had the sea garden and that was just great , I do believe perfume of the earth was also good . I also had the beef and it was cooked to perfection the only thing I could have said was “More Please” Now the best is yet to come the sweet I had the Vanilla Soufflé to be honest I thought that I went to heaven and back , this Soufflé was the best that I have ever had it was soft fluffy and moist and when the waiter cut the top open and put Sugar Cane Syrup Infused with Bourbon Vanilla it was just yummy . The wine list was just fantastic from the normal wines at reasonable prices to some very expensive wines. With this restaurant it’s a dining experience and not to be rushed just like a fine wine . I have read some of the other reviews and what I would say is you will get fantastic food with thought and care and you will try some new things some you will love and some you may say emmm but this should be treated as a dining experience