“Quirky” 4 of 5 stars
Review of sketch Lecture Room and Library

sketch Lecture Room and Library
9 Conduit Street, London W1S 2XJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 870 777 4488
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
sketch Lecture Room and Library is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #389 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Description: Located on the first floor, the Lecture Room & Library at sketch boasts an elegant high-ceilinged dining room and a Michelin star. French master chef Pierre Gagnaire has adapted his distinctive menu style to create a range of unique menus that include an affordable Gourmet Rapide set lunch, in addition to the full à la carte and tasting menus. Each dish combines top-quality ingredients to create exquisite tastes and sensations, with menu highlights including the legendary starter – Langoustine Five Ways; a main course of pan-fried fillet of Simmental beef; and the indulgent Grand Dessert – five miniature signature delicacies. An award-winning international wine list of 1,200 bins is carefully chosen to complement the food
London, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We loved the quirky decor, (including the naff wicker chairs in the Glade bar - we have just made our father in law part with something very similar!) The front of house guy was fantastic. And I loved the background music. We ate in the Library/Lecture Room - again very interesting. This was all a surprise for me and I hadnt looked at any websites beforehand. The menu was interesting - and I must say - I was a bit surprised at paying £40 for a starter!!! (I do like value for money) - even though I know it is Michelin starred! All the food was beautifully presented and my main course - lamb was delicious. However - I could have probably done without the pricey starter! The toilets were weird - I thought I had had a few too many!

All in all - a great experience - I will definatley go back for the afternoon tea, and would like to try the more reasonably priced gastro-brasserie - I have looked at the menu and I think it is more to my taste. I would recommend if you want a different experience - and probably with friends - there were 4 of us.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
london
“Definitely the wow factor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went with my family for the Gourmet Rapide lunch - £40 for 3 courses, coffee & petit fours which we thoguht was pretty amazing value for a 2 michelin star restaurant. Sketch as a whole, and the lecture room in particular, has the wow factor and then some. The decor and art are beautiful and the service was absolutely impeccable. Everything is brilliantly thought out from the decor to the dishes. The chairs are the most comfortable I've sat in at any restaurant and I loved that they put a little table next to my chair to put my bag on. Some of the food was a bit 'out there' - the starters and desserts are lots of little dishes rather than just one and some of them were definitely not to our taste but we didn't mind. We would have been disappointed if the choices were more mainstream as it just wouldn't suit Sketch to be too 'normal'. It's good to taste different dishes and try new flavours. The ambience was wonderful and our whole experience is one to be remembered. I've wanted to go to Sketch for a long time and it was definitely worth the wait - bring on the next visit!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harrow
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Delicious food..great atmosphere and service. Also while here check out the igloo bar at the bottom. Very good cocktails. Great place to go as a couple and you can even go in a group of friends.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

From the moment you walk through the doors of the lecture room you know that you are going to have the most amazing experience. There is something about the ambience here that I have not encountered anywhere else. The staff we met were courteous, attentive and made us feel like we were the most special guests they had ever had to look after. With service as good as this could the food be as amazing? Yes! Yes! Yes! This is without a doubt the most amazing food I have ever eaten, each dish an explosion of flavours which I had never before tasted. If you like new and exciting experiences then I urge you to visit the lecture room at least once in your lifetime.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Only good if you have a very strange taste in food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this place has the 'wow' factor in terms of the setting but I honestly think they are trying too hard to be different with their weird menu creation.

Ever heard of green pepper ice cream as a starter? Ever tried mozzarella ice cream? Ever had chocolate with your fois gras (which, oddly was one of my favourite things). We all went for the set lunch menu and all agreed it was a very different and weird experience. One of my clients actually said they felt like it was like a bush-tucker trial!!!

Over-rated, poncey, tiny portions and weird food. Great service and setting though. With all of the great reviews on here, they are obviously doing something right. However, not my bag and never will be.

• Visited December 2012