“Whale of a Fish and Chips Portion” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Silver Cross

The Silver Cross
33 Whitehall, London SW1A 2BX, England (Westminster)
02035 823 166
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Cape May, New Jersey
“Whale of a Fish and Chips Portion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was such a great place to eat that we ate here twice during our 4 days in London. The beer and cider was really icy cold - just to American tastes. I had the fish and chips with regular peas both times. The first time I was served a very large piece of perfectly done fresh white fish. I had all I could do to finish it, but finish it I did! The second time, my piece of fish was even bigger than the first time. I seem to recall my husband crawling around the floor in search of my eyeballs - they popped right out of their sockets when I saw the size of my fish portion. I need to let you all know that I am a big and very picky/fussy eater. My husband had the steak and ale pie one night and the chicken sandwich the second night. He pronounced "both of them were very good". We found the staff to be excellent and do not understand the negative reviews given for service. That was not our experience. Prices were more than reasonable for what you got.
We did heed management's posted warnings about thieves and pickpockets operating in the area. That is common in most highly populated tourist areas. We simply kept our cameras and bags around our necks and over our shoulders. In our opinion, that is just plain common sense.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta
“Our Go-To Pub While on Vacation!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We visited this pub 3 nights out of 7 while we stayed in London. We really liked it - I would highly suggest the Cod Goujons mini-plate with a side of chips and/or onion rings! The Hummous is good as well. It may take a few minutes to get your food (ask how long if they don't offer timing) but it is made to order. I am sad we never made it to the Treacle Sponge! They have a great pub menu, there is ample seating and we had a good experience with the service.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Beware of pickpockets & thieves!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Made the mistake of stopping here our last night in London. There was a sign on the table that said "mind your bags," which I had been doing throughout my trip. My friends joked that I was being paranoid. Then my $500 camera was snatched off my shoulder in a second, yet no one saw anything! I can get a new camera but can't replace the hundreds of pics I took. It seems that this happens a lot here, they should invest in some kind of system, surveillance or even a doorman if its an issue.
I was extremely careful, but these are practiced thieves. (Yes they can rob you anywhere but if you know it's an issue in your place of business, help patrons out, especially tourists that keep you in business).
This is an average pub, fish & chips were good, but stopping here was a big regret & ruined my trip. If you're a tourist don't take the chance, go somewhere safer.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Silver Cross, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jetsetter1218, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate this further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Taylor Walker
London, United Kingdom
“Great british food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Me and my partner poped into this pub for dinner, the pub was busy and full of tourists, after while we found free table, sat down, and looked trough the menu. Typical english food, my partner went for roast beef and I had asu usually scampi and chips. Even though the bar was busy we got served quite fast by young italian barmate, he was really helpful and funny, The food came out after 25 minutes even we got told the time to wait for food is 30 mins, My partner was very surprised by size and quality of pub roast, It was delicious!! We had great time, atmposhere of te pub was just right for Friday night with great food, service and music! Definitelly coming back with our families :)

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Silver Cross, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Sophia M,

Thank you for providing us with your review.

I can confirm that I have passed on your kind comments to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Silver Cross who would like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We hope to see you soon at the Silver Cross.

Kind regards,

Taylor Walker
Castleford
“Cold scampi and chips”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Were advised that we had to wait 45 mins. for food, which we didn't mind, however my food was cold. The place was very full so that it was difficult to move and complain. After a while a waiter asked if everything was o.k., I explained that the food was cold. He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. My husband's meal was hot but not of good quality. Definitely not worth a visit

Visited May 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Silver Cross, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Brendan M, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these concerns further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Taylor Walker