“THEEE BEST EVER I MEAN IT BEST EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blood and Tears Walk

The Blood and Tears Walk
Barbican Station, London EC1A 4JA, England (City of London)
44 (0)7905746733
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #99 of 612 activities in London
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: 'The Blood and Tears Walk' has a cult reputation with massive 'word of mouth'. Going for fourteen years, it is one of the best known London walks and has earned the right to be called a horror classic. Guide Declan McHugh has been on television and radio and many thousands come each year to learn about Jack the Ripper, other London serial killers, witchcraft, executions, conspiracy theories etc. Meets outside the only exit at Barbican station and ends two hours later at Holborn underground station.
Simi Valley, California, United States
“THEEE BEST EVER I MEAN IT BEST EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Ok time to the serious review. I simply love it best walk ever but nightmares are akinda common for me now. He showed us pictures of legitament stuff which not really spooked me out until later on. He took us into a very very creepy little hall which was very very narrow and creepy. I got a "murder" feeling. Like someone was holding me on my back and dragging me back i saw other people kinda like you know falling back just like I was. I feel bad for people who has not been on this. But he walks pretty fast not to fast though I'm only 13 years old regular fat American tourist raiding England haha but I was so interested even at my young age I was litterally sucked in. Oh yeah forgot his name is Declan. Declan is so good at this. He gave very very gruesome details which still haunts me since I took it 7 days ago. I would choose this over all the other tours in London. There was some older people like in their late 50s just like my dad who fell behind but he waits up. He is very nice to talk to. Don't be scared to talk to him. I made pretty good friend with him a long the tour. He also has comedy fixed in with terror which gives it a good taste most people makes it sound cheesy but he makes it sound very good like very very very good. His jokes are not joke jokes but you know like uhh don't know how to explain it its different. THE ONLY downside to this trip is that when I got out there was a small sign saying it on his backpack I thought it said Vans hahahahaha I am still feeling dumb till now. I wish he had a little bigger sign. I got there 10 minutes late STUPID TRAIN but luckily people were still there. Overall go here you will not be dissapointed. He walks fast which I want since Im a fat American not to fat but I need the excercise. Go here I mean it

Visited August 2013

Kuala Lumpur
“Great but not all gruesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We chose this walk over the Jack The Ripper walk simply because it promised more stories. And our guide, Declan, delivered on that promise. While not all the stories were packed with grisly details, most of them came with very interesting histories. Declan has is a good storyteller and we enjoyed his engagement with us through trivia questions and psychological games. The only drawback is that Declan is a speed walker and some people (especially older tourists) may struggle to keep up with him. And you have to or else you'll lose him as he turns down anonymous alleys every now and then.

Visited August 2013
Hoogeveen, The Netherlands
“Great tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I did the blood and tears walk when we were in London for a week. We were really looking forward to it, but unfortunatly our train was delayed. We thought we couldn't make it on time (9.45 pm), but arriving 10 minutes late, the group was still there to wait for us. A big thank you for that. The tour itself was great, horrifying stories that gave me the chills. I thought the excercises were very cool and they made the tour come alive. There's only one downside: Declan walks really, really fast. You shouldn't go on the tour if you can't keep up with the tempo.

Visited July 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“A fun and engaging walk at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I discovered the Blood and Tears Walk through the London Pass. I called ahead to make sure the tour was running the night I wished to go, and Declan promptly answered the phone to tell me he was indeed leading tours that night. A reassuring start.

As a bit of a English-history nerd, I enjoyed Declan's dramatic retelling of unfortunate events in the history of London. He was engaged, full of energy, and gave considerable effort to keeping the group involved, even though some of the folks in the group of 10 people on the tour were as dull and disengaged as can be.

It was fun to see bits of old London architecture tucked amid the modern financial district in which the tour is based. He discusses both old and recent events, including the famous murders by Jack the Ripper and Sweeney Todd, as well as less well known stories of more contemporary London psychopaths. Occasionally he would stop to ask the group personal questions (such as "what's your favorite scary movie?") which were the least interesting parts of the tour for me, but again, I think this was an effort at keeping people engaged. Personally, I would prefer that he stuck to storytelling, but Declan's personality made it such that I didn't really care what he was asking of us.

The other reviewers are not lying...wear comfortable shoes, as the tour covers a lot of ground at a fast and furious pace. You will burn off all the calories from eating London fish & chips. In all, I had fun on this tour, particularly given the very reasonable cost.

Visited June 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
81 attraction reviews
“Not enough information”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We enjoyed the walk and thought it was good value for money but found that after two hours we really hadn't gained that much more information. It's also a pity that the same tour is run straight afterwards it would have been nice to stay on and do a different tour. Take your walking shoes.

Visited June 2013
BloodAndTearsWalk, Owner at The Blood and Tears Walk, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I find the grounds for criticism in this review odd since, firstly, I include a very large amount of information during this two hour tour. I wrote the bestseller 'Bloody London' and I do know a lot about this subject. If you do this tour you will come away with well-researched information on a variety of subjects including: serial killers and their activities and ways of operating, grave-robbers, criminals who have appeared at the Old Bailey, Newgate Prison, prison escapes, secret tunnels, conspiracy theories, execution sites, Jack the Ripper, exhibits in an amazing little known museum, Dr.John Dee, etc. etc. I simply don't understand how someone could then say "after two hours we really hadn't gained that much more information". Secondly, I find the criticism that I do the same tour again the same night to be not a valid criticism. It's a bit like going to a cinema or a theatre and complaining that they staged the same show or film twice in a day. Why not go to a different theatre or cinema or do a different attraction by somebody else?