“The Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madsen

Madsen
20 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3DL, England (South Kensington)
02072252772
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5,752 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Swedish, Scandinavian, Danish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Madsen is a Scandinavian restaurant in South Kensington. We serve smushi, salads and warm dishes for lunch and both traditional and modern dishes for dinner. The restaurant has a light and warm interior with a terrace for drinks, meals and smoking. The restaurant further has a private dining/meeting room with AV facilities for up to 12 people. Large museums and venues like The Royal Albert Hall, Natual History and V&A museum are in walking distance.
Battersea
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Was there for lunch with my girlfriend and father in law (both Danish). The service was excellent and very flexible alternating between Danish and English to satisfy all. The place has a beautiful, but very minimalist decoration. Very good value for money and the perfect place to be introduced to Danish/Scandinavian food if you live in London.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Delightful restaurant with smiling service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

At last another Danish restaurant in London and about time too. Great Schnapps, lovely food and wine. Excellent service. Lovely table for two in the window. Lunch menu is reasonably priced especially for this part of London.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I went to Madsen Restaurant as part of The London Danish Meetup Group. We had pre-ordered our food (I chose Frikadeller and Rhubarb Trifle) and I think that the service and the food was really good. I was especially impressed that they were able to give us separate bills for our lunch, as we were 20 people. Not many places do that.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Went home hungry!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Keen to try something different for dinner, a friend and I stumbled across Madsen and on 1st impressions it looked to tick all the boxes. All the main course options sounded great and after much debating we plumped to skip starters so we could leave room for the yummy desserts - big mistake! We both ordered the Swedish "Tjalknol" a slow cooked topside of beef and were guided by the waiter that one side of potatoes would be enough for 2 to share. Both preferring our beef well done we checked and were assured that as it was slow cooked it would definitely be cooked through. We waited in eager anticipation trying not to fill up on the lovely bread provided. Then it arrived - 3 small slices of beef on a green pea puree with 1 tiny chantaney carrot and a handful of pea shoots! I don't have a huge appetite but this was ridiculous and it would have been hard pressed to pass as a starter portion, let alone a main course costing £16.75.

To make matters worse the meat was bloody even after specifically asking beforehand about how it was cooked. When I asked the waitress if she could take the meat back to be cooked further, she looked most put out and said that it had been slow cooked for over 8hrs so was definitely cooked through. I asked her to explain therefore why is was red and bloody and she answered this was how it came!! Unless they were cooking it over a tea light I fail to understand how something cooked for this long would come out this way.

She reluctantly took it away along with the potatoes to "keep warm" and after approx 20mins brought it back, smaller than before as it had shrunk further with cooking, accompanied by chewy potatoes that had obviously been sitting under the hot lamp waiting for the beef. Although tasty it was gone within a few mouthfuls leaving us both so hungry that we had to fill up on the bread.

Not wanting to end the evening on a bad note and still craving food, we ordered dessert and these were at least normal size and tasty, although they didn't compensate for the disappointing main.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was subdued and the staff didn't look or present themselves as particularly happy. To add insult to the evening a 12% service charge is added to your bill as standard unless you opt to have it removed.

Overall, I found the experience very poor value and quite forgettable - shame as we had such high expectations.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“lovely lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

recently I went to Madsen to eat lunch and I must say I really had the best lunch in a long time there. I was welcomed by a cosy scandinavian atmosphere and the staff were warm and friendly. My choice of food from the lunch menu was a large herring platter with three kinds of herring and an open sandwich with roasbeef where both dishes were well made, amazingly fresh and with no doubt really high standard.
I actually think I can say that i had the best herring there (and these are big words coming from me).
Thank you Madsen for giving me such a great experience in your restaurant. I am quite pleased and I will definitely be back to try more scandinavian food.

Visited September 2012