“Why change the best DJ in there?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abacus Bar - CLOSED

Abacus Bar
24 Cornhill, London EC3V 3ND, England (City of London)
020 7337 6767
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Perfectly positioned in the vibrant heart of the City, next to the Royal Exchange, Abacus is a stylish hive of activity for wining and dining. Whether you are seeking a relaxed yet fun ambience or high energy, Abacus has somewhere to suit your mood. A light, bright and relaxing bar, the Upstairs Lounge is decked with chandeliers, leather and marble, making it the perfect place to chill after work. It also incorporates the Abacus Cafe. With its cosy wood and leather details, it is perfect for lunches and after-work nibbles and platters. Alternatively, the Lower Lounge is an upbeat and lively bar with tall tables and low leather sofas, whilst the Abacus Club is truly decadent, featuring funky lights, black leather furnishings and a spacious dance floor. With plenty to enjoy, Abacus is a hip and enticing place to let loose after a hard day's work.
London, United Kingdom
“Why change the best DJ in there?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went to abacus last night 30th May only to find they have changed the DJ in the bottom floor that plays house music, DJ Kalix. My group of friends and I would go every Thursday just for the house music there, that guy was awesome! Now they have lost all of us and the atmosphere wasn't so lively as it usually is. Abacus are definitely going to be losing some very loyal Thursday night customers because of this. Really stupid move by whoever was in charge of that decision!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Epping, United Kingdom
“Great location, lovely decor, reasonable lunch menu. Would recommend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to Abacus Bar with my colleagues over lunch. We checked and liked the menu before going there.
The lunch set menu selection is good and pretty reasonable, considering it being in the middle of London. Food was also good.
I loved the decor of the place and we were seated in a spacious round table in the corner which was really cosy, and we kept chatting for a long time.
I have had a such a great time. I would definitely go back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
AbacusBarManagement, Manager at Abacus Bar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review of Abacus bar. We are very happy you enjoyed your lunch with us. We look forward to seeing you in Abacus again soon.
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After work this Friday some friends and I wandered over to Abacus for drinks; the time: 7:55 pm. The doorman wouldn't let us in saying he was only letting 'mixed couples' in........ at 7:55pm !!!!!!!
Unbelievable right? Well, I hate to make a scene so we left and had a couple of drinks elsewhere. Later, our route home took us past Abacus again so I decided to join the queue noticing that several men in small groups were getting in without a hitch. I'm no detective but it was plainly obvious that these folks were on no guest list and were just out trying to enjoy a night out like us. The queue moved forward till it got to our turn when the doorman made the same excuse and wouldn't let us enter. I reiterate that we were a well dressed group (all Medical Doctors)and SOBER. I never play the race card but on this ocasion it seemed the obvious reason.Obviously irritated and I think justifiably so, I asked to speak to the manager. An arrogant gentleman (Mr. Eben Roos) then stepped forward and announced that he was witness to both rejections ( he was nowhere the first time) and that now not only was I not part of a mixed group but that I was argumentative. He pronounced that it was a private club and they could decide who got in. Fair enough! I asked him that if I was a homosexual man and wanted to have a drink in his bar with my partner what then. He insisted that that wouldn't have made a difference. I pointed out that that would imply that his establishment was intolerant sexually and I think racially discriminant.
His manner was rude abrupt and dismissive.
Suffice it to say, I will never go there again. However I believe this assistant manager to be a poor representative of this establishment.
The minimum rating on this website is a single dot. I would give a zero if i could.

• Visited May 2013
AbacusBarManagement, General Manager at Abacus Bar, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Please let me apologise if you felt that our door policy was discriminatory; however I can assure you that it is not. Any policy we have is put in place is done so to ensure we adhere to the four licensing objectives, which may not always be clear to the general public at the time.

We pride ourselves on striving to deliver an exceptional customer experience, so again, please accept my apologies that you were not able to experience that on the evening in question.
If you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact me on the email below.

Kind regards,
David Layton
David.Layton@Novusleisure.com
Wakefield, West Yorks
“Good place for after work drinks and no doubt a bite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Following a meeting in the Royal Exchange, several of my colleagues arrived at Abacus for a few drinks together before going our separate ways. One of the team order multiple beer types, wines etc, and these were promptly put out in ice buckets across several tables. Had a great few hours here, and will come again when next in the area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
AbacusBarManagement, Manager at Abacus Bar, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review of Abacus bar. We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us after your meeting. We look forward to seeing you in Abacus again soon.
“Lovely Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

How refreshing to get great service and food all in 1 lunchtime, fish and chips a winner with homemade tartare sauce and not from a packet a rarity these days, my partner had fajitas that were better than chiquitos. Will definitely be back

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your positive review of Abacus bar. We are very happy you enjoyed your lunch time experience with us, especially our homemade tartare sauce. We look forward to seeing you in Abacus again soon.