“Great Views - staff and food disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Searcys | The Gherkin

Searcys | The Gherkin
30 St Mary Axe, London EC3A 8EP, England (City of London)
+44 20 7071 7215
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Searcys | The Gherkin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,250 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
London
“Great Views - staff and food disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went last week for a celebration meal with my wife and 2 friends and we all left feeling very disappointed. The view is fantastic and as a Londoner, it compares to Oblix at the Shard etc. Unfortunately I have to agree with other reviewers, the waiting staff seem slow and disinterested and the food was disappointing - really nothing special for what charges and purports to be a top london eaterie. We did have a drink at the bar first which was very busy but the view is great. I won't be going again but if someone asked me what it was like, I would tell them to have a drink at the bar to see the view and then go somewhere else to eat. I have scored it 3* purely for the view.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Everything stunning - again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Hired a dining room to celebrate 60 th with 9 friends and some special wines from 1953 .
From the moment we arrived Danny ( manager ) and his team went out of the way to make the day a real special occasion!
Starters of gravlax or nettle soup were delicious and the main course of duck ,tender and tasty served with top notch potatoes and marinated vegetables . Service was exemplary with being OTT especially our delightful sommelier .
Puddings and cheese just first class .
A wonderful,memorable day ,the sun even came out later and we then witnessed a gorgeous sunset over the city .
Highly recommended !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“Great for a special occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was lucky to get taken to lunch at the Gherkin and thought the views across London were fabulous. (Subsequently the Gherkin was out-shined, in terms of views, by a trip up the Shard.) My date is a member of Searcy's, so I don't know what tourist access is like normally. We had a couple of drinks in the bar, which was really quiet, making it easy to walk around the perimeter and take in views from every direction. I thought the staff had just a hint of arrogance about them and could have been friendlier and smiled more without losing any professionalism. (I know it's a hard balance to find in the up market hospitality industry.)

No idea whether it's good value for money, as I wasn't paying, but I'm surprised the venue is restricted to members only, as I can well imagine how popular it would be to all. Perhaps its their way of keeping out the 'undesirables'?! I'm sure I've seen photos somewhere of the venue being used for a wedding reception - a fantastic idea for those looking for something out of the ordinary.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
london
“Great views - shame about the food and staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A very austere restaurant, decidedly corporate feel to it and couldn't wait to leave it! 4 guests - 4 steaks. Only guests eating at the time. How hard can it be to get that right!?? Took ages for them to arrive, when they did they were served up in the wrong order (those ordering rare got well done and vice-versa). Accompanying hand cuts chips arrived some 5-6 mins late after we had chased them up twice. Waiter lent across me every time he poured a drink or cleared a plate. Waiters dressed and acted like they were on some secret service film set - they may well have been as they all made bad waiters!
Very unimpressed wtih this place to eat. Cannot believe that members would tolerate such a place. Money cant always buy taste and class eh?!
The Bar upstairs is more relaxed, but not such great views. Cocktails £14.50 each, so you think you are paying for something special but the view is very limited owing to reflecting glass and a plinth running around the mezzanine which block the views.
Overall a great disappointment and the client that took us there was very embarrassed by it all. A poor excuse for a restaurant I'm afraid. At those prices and that location, one would expect much better food and service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing views across town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went here for our anniversary and it was beautiful, a real treat!
It is a fantastic space and you feel like you could be in another metropolis like New York or Hong Kong with 360' views across the whole of London.

American Express Centurion got us the table at this members only restaurant and bar, which was very helpful.
We had a drink at the top mezzanine level so we could look at the central lens shape of the Gherkin's roof. Great service and good cocktails.

We then had our meal down a level in the dining room, however the only bug bare was that we were initially seated out of the way with no view under some very bright lights that couldn't be dimmed. After asking a couple of times they attempted to change the lighting but instead they moved us to a better table. We were both very thankful.

The food was great, I had nettle soup which was a thick bottle green concentrated liquid, delicious! We both then shared a rib of beef for two and it was cooked to perfection.
Followed by desserts that were extremely tasty and rich but small enough so you could finish it feeling very satisfied.
The wine was top quality and the list was extensive.
Service was professional and brisk.

Would love to go back.