“Fabulous London Gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kensington Hotel

You added The Kensington Hotel to your Saves list
The Kensington Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109-113 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5LR, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #28 of 1,052 Hotels in London
New York, New York
“Fabulous London Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed at this lovely hotel during our recent trip to London. We stayed 5 nights and were very comfortable and well taken care of. My husband had an ankle injury a few months ago and due to his injury, walking for long periods causes him pain and swelling. Each afternoon when we would come back to the hotel after our sightseeing of the day, we would be greeted by Ronnie and my husband would ask if he could arrange for a bucket of ice to be brought up to the room and within minutes, the ice was at our door! The staff got to know our names very quickly and when we needed advice or assistance, they were on it. The restaurant served excellent food and the breakfasts, in particular were wonderful. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel and would definitely recommend it highly to everyone who plans on a trip to London whether business or personal!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Greek first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Europe. We started off by traveling from Denver to London (via Icelandair, which was easy and painless). After researching hotels in London extensively we chose The Kensington Hotel, and we chose right! The hotel is close to the South Kensington tube stop, and is in the wonderful South Kensington neighborhood. As we walked up to the hotel with our luggage a friendly doorman greeted us and took our bags. We checked into our room, which was on the 3rd floor around the side of the hotel. The room faced out to Old Brompton Road, with a view of a nice tree lined street.

The room was very nice. We had a king bed (superior room). It's a fairly normal room for London (which means small compared to American hotels), but didn't feel too small for us. The bathroom was very nice and the shower was a rain-type, amazing!

We had an evening drink before turning in the first night, and met George, who served our drinks to us. He was everything we've read about in other reviews and more! He was very engaging, friendly, and even wrote down some suggestions for us to do in London and delivered them to us. One day we had afternoon tea, which was amazing! Maybe it's because it was our first tea experience, but we thought the food and atmosphere was fantastic! There was a LOT of food, and we couldn't finish it all. We finished up and headed to the Chelsea Flower Show that afternoon. It was awesome.

Overall, I highly recommend the Kensington Hotel. Book early to get the best rates and room selection, and try the afternoon tea!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Frits P, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Guest

I am delighted you chose us for your first trip to London, thank you for trusting me and my team with such a special experience.

South Kensington is without a doubt the very best location to explore our wonderful City from, not only are we located minutes away from the V&A Museum, the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and of course Kensington Palace and Gardens but the neighbourhood is also brimming with an eclectic array of wonderful café’s, restaurants and traditional English Pubs, not to mention being right in the middle of the Royal Borough.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our service and felt looked after, especially by George, He is an amazing ambassador for our service and our team, he absolutely adores our guests and will always go the extra mile to create truly memorable moments. I know he will be over the moon when I share your kind words, thank you.

Thank you so much for your personal recommendation, it means the world to me and my team and I hope we will be able to welcome you and your wife back to the Kensington in the very near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here a few nights with our 3 adult children. We had 2 rooms, we all had plenty of space. The furnishings are well-chosen and stylish while retaining a classic feel. Luxurious bathrooms although on the small side. Turndown service is always a lovely touch.
The neighborhood is very convenient and we walked to all sights. Ate breakfast each morning in hotel, sumptuous choices and beautifully presented. Staff throughout the hotel were professional, kind and courteous. Each of them were helpful with various questions we had about sights, the neighborhood, etc. We felt very well taken care of and look forward to sending friends to this hotel!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I am very grateful that you took the time to write such an amazing review following your recent stay with us, thank you for choosing the Kensington!

We thoroughly enjoy being part of our guests’ holiday breaks, the friendliness and engagement you experienced throughout your stay is quite simply down to the fact that each and every member of my team genuinely love what they do! I believe this makes all the difference and to read that you will recommend and send your friends to us is very rewarding indeed. Please do not hesitate to give your fiends and family my personal details at frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com. I would be very happy to assist in any way.

I hope to welcome you back soon and look forward to introducing your friends to the Kensington.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hotel is very good, excellent service and nice rooms. Staff very proffesional and helpfull, always there when you think you could need them. No additional charges for exrtras like UK elect. adapter. Very expensive as well but price matches service.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Kensington; it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the experience and particularly our service, the professionalism, friendliness and genuine care our employees exude in every guest encounter is at the forefront of everything we do and ultimately the key barometer of our success. We believe in offering exceptional service that represent true value, which is further enhanced by initiatives such as complimentary mineral water in each bedroom, complimentary local calls and fully complimentary high speed Wi-Fi throughout our Hotel.

Thank you for writing about your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have stayed in a number of 'boutique' hotels in the South Kensington area. The Kensington, like the nearby Pelham and Gore, has that quirky, creaky floor charm similar to the others.
Last year, at the height of the spring/summer season, the rates at the Kensington were relatively high compared to the other hotels in same room category.
This year it's even more expensive.
I stayed in a Deluxe King this time (end of May). The room had nice modern touches, but too small and lacked a writing desk.
The decor is so-so - bland. My deluxe room at the back of the hotel was painted battle ship grey. The bed sheets were surprisingly scratchy due to its low thread count. I felt I was staying in the inferior guest room at a friend's house. It could use some colorful splashes in the rooms.
Over all the Kensington lacks a luxurious feel.
At other hotels area, for $100 less, I can get a much larger room with a king bed, writing desk, floor to ceiling windows with fancy drapes, a huge bathroom, cheerful decor, and creamy smooth sheets.
On the upside, the Kensington has large yet cosy comfy user-friendly sitting and dining area, where you can sip tea while glued to your laptop.
The food is consistently good, the staff cheerful and accommodating.
The bar is the hotel's best asset: low lit, sleek, hip atmosphere, cool music. The decor is a quirky fusion of art deco and classic.
The hotel is on the tree-lined Queen's Gate road, an area with a residential feel, and close to excellent restaurants and museums. It's an easy walk to Knightsbridge and Harrod's.
At the end of the day, however, for me, the rooms at the Kensington were not great value for the high prices they're asking-especially during high season.

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms are best value if you don't mind the drawbacks mentioned above.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Kensington, your feedback is incredibly important to me and my team as we recognise we can only improve if we truly listen to what our guests are saying about us.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our location, the comfort of our Drawing room, the quality and variety of our food and the ambience and style of our bar and most importantly the service you received from my team. We pride ourselves on delivering consistently exceptional levels of personal service and are fully committed to not only meeting but exceeding our guests’ expectations.

On the other hand I am obviously disappointed and genuinely sorry that you felt let down by the Deluxe room you stayed in. The nature of our Grade 2 listed Victorian Building is of such that the layouts of our bedrooms do differ and some of our bedrooms therefore do not feature full writing desks, simply due to aesthetics and room configurations. Every bedroom is individually decorated to reflect the character and timeless classic nature of our Townhouse style Hotel, I can only apologise if you felt that your room was not reflective of this Design philosophy and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments further. Please reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection,.com as I very much want to understand which room you stayed in and also your preference and view of what we could add to this particular room to better reflect our commitment to quality and luxury.

Our linen should be luxurious to the touch, with thread counts well in excess of 200 and I honestly have no explanation as to why the linen did not feel as luxurious as you would have expected. I can only apologise unreservedly and promise that I will look into the matter as a priority.

It is incredibly important for me that the level of service we offer and quality of our Hotel product reflects exceptional value and I can therefore assure you that I have taken your feedback on board.

I do hope that we will be able to connect and that you will consider giving me the opportunity to restore your faith in the Kensington.

With renewed apologies

Irving, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is a four or five star hotel. It is simply beautiful. We were greeted at the front door by the doorman who welcomed us to the hotel each and every time we entered and exited the hotel.

Our check in took two minutes tops. Our room was not ready when we arrived around 12 but they stowed our luggage while we explored the city.

The concierge helped us look up restaurants in the area and suggested his favorites.

The room is not the most spacious in the world but the furniture is very old English style and charming. It even comes with an umbrella to use as you will more than likely need it.

It was about a block or two away from the south Kensington stop for the underground and near a lot of restaurants. It is in a beautiful neighborhood.

The only issue I had was that I requested a power adapter with a North American power plug and it took them a few times to actually respond. There ended up being a plug located near the mirror near the bed and another American outlet, a little less obvious, in the bathroom.

We received turndown service as well, which was nice.

Overall, it was an amazing experience.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Wow, thank you for writing such a wonderful review following your recent stay with us!

I am thrilled to read that you felt the overall experience was simply “amazing ” and especially pleased that the warmth of our welcome was a real highlight for you. Our Location is perfect for exploring this wonderful City from; we are literally a stones throw away from the V&A, Natural History and Science Museums and there is an abundance of quant littler café’s, restaurants and bars dotted all around South Kensington.

Thank you for choosing us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

Mineral Bluff, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at the Kensington Hotel for a week. The Hotel was fantastic. We felt right at home from the moment of arrival. We enjoyed the neighborhood immensely. There are plenty of good restaurants in all directions (Brompton Road, Fulham Road, etc). We walked the area on many occasions and found it very nice and safe. We walked to the Chelsea FC game as well. The Hotel is very convenient to the Gloucester and South Kensington underground stations (three lines at Kensington), which makes it just a few minutes from all of London. The Staff was very courteous and happy to assist. Did not have that large Hotel brand feel, much more personable. We had a King Superior room and found it perfect. The heated bathroom floor was a plus. Most all European hotel rooms are smaller than US standards, but that is more than okay as this one makes up with quality. We found this room big enough. We hope to come back to London with our entire family in a year or so and I know this Hotel will be highly considered.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife with us, thank you for choosing the Kensington for your visit to London.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed everything about your stay, from the welcome you received on arrival to our location in South Kensington, I am simply delighted that you had such a great experience with us. To know that you will definitely return with your whole family is simply wonderful and please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com if I can assist in any way.

I am looking forward to your imminent return!

Frits Potgieter, General Manager

Been to The Kensington Hotel? Share your experiences!