“Perfect location for shopping in Kensington and Knightsbridge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kensington Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Kensington Hotel to your Saves list
The Kensington Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109-113 Queen's Gate | South Kensington, London SW7 5LR, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #27 of 1,073 hotels in London
Schuttrange, Luxembourg
“Perfect location for shopping in Kensington and Knightsbridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel in Kensington, quite well located for shopping or sightseeing in Kensington and Knightsbridge.4 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station, but you can also walk to Kings Road in maximum 15 minutes.Rooms extremely small. We had booked a room with a double bed (for 2 adults), when we arrived we were told that we had got an upgrade. The room was beautiful and clean. The bed was maximum 1,60 meters wide, so a bit tight for us as we are used to a much larger bed.The first 2 nights we both woke up regularly as we had no space, and the mattress was really hard, but then we got used to it.The handrail in the bath that was installed to help you get into the bath was loose, so the first time I tried to climb into the bath to shower,I stumbled back, as I was holding the handrail in my hand. I laid the handrail next to the bath, hoping that it would get fixed the other day to avoid an accident, but no. unfortunately during our 3 night stay,I checked each time, but as I laid the handrail next to the bath to show that it was not attached to the wall and absolutely not safe, the staff just put it back to the wall,not caring that a guest who would really need to use it, might have an accident and get hurt.Breakfast was good, choice was classical. Staff in the lobby was lovely, always a 100% attentive.Bar staff were not so great, we always had to get up and go to the bar ourselves to order a drink...

Room Tip: Ask how large the king size bed is...or go for a 2 queen size bed-room. This might be a better optio...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Nischicka,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our location in leafy South Kensington with such convenient public transport links to the rest of the city.

We are always grateful to our guests when they share their experience; however, we were disappointed to read you found your room small. A tremendous amount of work has gone in to making sure that each room is to the highest possible standard; every room is different as we are converted townhouses. Should you be returning one of our team here would be delighted to discuss your room needs to assign you a room more suitable to you.

We were appalled to read your comments regarding your bath rail. This is not the level of service we strive for and the Management team take your comments very seriously. The Accommodation Manager and I are investigating how this could have happened and will be taking steps to try and ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope that you will think of us again should you be returning to London.

Beccy

1,290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here tremendously, and the hotel keeps its promise of serving as your home in London. The rooms are small and could use a comfy chair, but the staff are all top notch and hit all their marks.The reception desk staff and bell captains were terrific, and the housekeeping was among the best I've ever seen. Location is perfect -- on several good Underground lines -- handy for midday stop-offs. No deficiencies at all; anything lacking might better be ascribed to my own idiosyncrasies (the evening turn down service can rattle a sleep deprived, time-zone-challenged traveler). I had an extremely satisfying and restorative stay here. Among my best hotel stays ever.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear PigsFly,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our location in leafy South Kensington with such convenient public transport links to the rest of the city, and our proximity to Museum Row and so many wonderful eateries.

We greatly appreciate your kind words, thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts with the online travelling community. I have passed on your wonderful review to our team to enjoy. We are all dedicated to ensuring your time with us is truly memorable so it is a pleasure to know that you thought so highly of us.

We hope that next time you are in London you will think of us again.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a long weekend, and overall I was really pleased with our choice. The good points:

- The location is excellent - a short walk to the tube stop, or to several of London's major museums, and is quiet and attractive with lots of good places to eat.
- With regard to the hotel itself, the reception, lounge, bar and dining areas are very chic and luxe, but without feeling too stuffy or pretentious.
- Our room (on the fifth floor) was very quiet, clean, attractive and comfortable.
- The staff we encountered were very polite and friendly.
- My partner's birthday was acknowledged with a card and fruit platter left in the room.

However, there are a few little things that I think the hotel could improve on (and which are the reason for me giving 4/5 rather than 5/5):
- I had booked a superior double room, and although pleasant, it was perhaps smaller than I was expecting - the bathroom in particular was quite small.
- There was very little storage space for clothes in the room - about 6 hangers and no drawer space except a couple of baskets on a shelf (which for two of us just for a weekend was a bit limiting... think we would have struggled if we'd been staying for any longer!). The room would benefit from a small chest of drawers or something similar.
- The breakfast was good, but I didn't feel that it was particularly good value for money (£21 per person for full English plus items from buffet) - there just wasn't a huge amount to the cooked breakfast, and it looked oddly stingy to us...! (eg. 1 small sausage, 1 small half tomato...)
- Also, minor point, but I felt that for the price (which is not extortionate for London, but not cheap either!) I might've expected a few more complementary items - eg. some free mini bar items, perhaps some more toiletry items...
- Finally, although the staff were really nice, for some reason it had been assumed that my boyfriend and I were married although I'd never indicated this - I was referred to as 'Mrs' at various points, and my boyfriend was referred to by my surname... which I found quite amusing! Although it didn't bother us enough to make an issue out of it, I guess it might be worth considering that some people might take offence to this...?!

Despite these relatively minor points, we really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely return on future trips to London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Freckle81,
Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel, we were delighted to be a part of your experience of London. It was such a pleasure to read that our location in South Kensington was so perfect for you.
We were disappointed to read your comments regarding your room. While we hope all our rooms are decorated to the highest standard, room is different owing to the fact that we were converted townhouses. Should you be returning one of our team here would be delighted to discuss your room needs to assign you a room more suitable to you. Or perhaps you would like to opt for one of our Deluxe rooms which would afford you these wonderful amenities as well as a larger more sumptuous space. We were disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast. We have several packages that include breakfast our reservations team would love discuss our different options for your next visit.

From everyone here at The Kensington Hotel, we eagerly anticipate your return on your next visit to our nations capital.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Coming all the way from New Zealand and after hours of flying, it was a relief to arrive at the Kensington Hotel and be warmly greeted, along with some hot towels to freshen ourselves while checking in. They even gave us a free upgrade, which was most welcome. Beautifully presented hotel. All the hotel staff were very friendly & accommodating. Our daughter & niece arrived later to meet up with us, and we went to the bar to enjoy some of their award winning cocktails, which were a hit with the girls. Handy to the tube, and great restaurants in the area worth trying. (Make sure you visit the Italian restaurant Rocca). Would definitelly stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CraigBAuckland,

It was such a pleasure to read that our location in South Kensington, a short walk from many the delicious dining at so many eateries on Old Brompton Road, was so perfect for you.
Our team truly care that your experience of us is memorable and we do all that we can to enhance your time in London. We believe that every detail from a refreshing towel at check in, to an extensive knowledge of London and its attractions, to a bottle of water at check-out counts. We want to be sure your time with us is a memory you will cherish.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We were very glad to know that you and your loved ones enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

phoenix, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff at the Kensington is wonderful. Friendly and helpful. We had daily breakfast included with our stay and it was excellent. We had a basic room which is small but I think pretty typical for the area. Common areas are quite nice as well. I went slightly over my travel budget to stay at the Kensington because it got very good reviews and I wanted to make sure I was comfortable during my week in London. I was very glad I did.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear mirazira,
Thank you for taking the time to write lovely review about your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. We appreciate your sharing with the online travelling community.
We all share the belief that a memorable experience starts with a team that is dedicated to doing all we can to enhance your time with us, your kind words let us know we are succeeding in our aims.

We hope you will think of us again should you be returning to London

atlantic beach, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Do not hesitate to stay at the kensington hotel! we were 2 first-timers to london, and this hotel was perfect in every way - location, the staff, and the price! Concierges vincent and martyn were super helpful with advising us about tours, the tube, and walking directions. yes, the rooms can be small - but that's european hotels in general. the lobby is welcoming and has a wonderful scent. the neighborhood was super fab - quiet and clean and near 2 tube stops on the yellow circle line, and walking distance to several streets with good restaurants and lively cafes, and also near the natural history museum. we also walked to harrods - which really wasn't that fantastic a store but we did find a great restaurant near the store - brompton asian brasserie....we are planning on returning to london next year and will certainly book the kensington! our room had a comfy king bed, and a large bathroom and was very quiet - facing out to the courtyard. the price was amazing - 132 GBP per night. every staff member was helpful and friendly! the air conditioning was also very quiet - which is a pet peeve of mine - i really hate it when the AC switches on and off loudly all night. we were very happy not to be staying at a 'chain' hotel like a marriott or a radisson - so give the kensington hotel a try! you won't be disappointed! it's absolutely LOVELY!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear mrsez,
Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our location in leafy South Kensington with our proximity to Museum Row, good transport links and so many wonderful eateries. As well as shop of London’s best shops just a short walk up the road.

We are dedicated to doing all that we can to ensure your time with us is memorable so we really appreciate your kind words, especially about Martyn and Vincent in Concierge. I have passed on your wonderful words to everyone here to enjoy.

We hope that on your next visit to London you’ll think of us again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this hotel via a luxury hotel website... And boy did it have the Wow factor. The seating and bar areas were not too ostentatious but were luxurious and inviting. the staff were excellent, especially reception and the porters who we dealt with a fair bit! They were on hand with a map and advice with what we should see and do!
We had dinner and cocktails which were lovely and there was a good selection of tipples on offer. breakfast was enormous and we ate in our room which was also great. The bedroom was furnished to a high standard but the bathroom wasn't as amazing as it could have been, although it still has a TV by the bath (not all channels worked) and his n hers sinks, heated mirrors etc.
The location of the hotel is fab and serves as a good base for exploring. Can't wait to go back and try some more cocktails - and of course, afternoon tea!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear BMY89,
Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. We are thrilled to know that we met your high standards.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our suite. While every room is furnished to the highest standard our suites have the added benefit of extra space for your comfort and relaxation and as you have discovered some have an extra TV for you to enjoy.
Thank you for your comments regarding Aubrey. We were pleased that you enjoyed your dining with us. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our team. We are all passionate about creating a memorable experience for your time with us; your kind words serve as a real motivator and confirmation that we are reaching our aims.

Lastly from all of us here thank you for your kind review. We understand it takes time and we really appreciate it.

We look forward to your next visit.

Vincent

Been to The Kensington Hotel? Share your experiences!