“An elegant treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kensington Hotel

You added The Kensington Hotel to your Saves list
The Kensington Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109-113 Queen's Gate | South Kensington, London SW7 5LR, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #32 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Rome, Italy
“An elegant treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I usually stay at this hotel when I am in London. I always feel welcome as if I was going back home. Staff is very professional and caring. The bar and living room are really nice, actually very elegant and cosy especially in winter when the the fires are on. I usually invite my friends for a drink or for dinner. Food is fresh, good and well presented.
I usually stay in a studio suite as the superior rooms are a bit too small. 503 is my favourite room, it is not big, but has everything you need and it is beautiful with a four poster bed, two comfortable red velvet armchair. spacious bathroom with tub and shower.
I love when at night, coming back after a long day, I am welcomed with a hot tea and a cake to help sleeping well. The bed are super comfortable. I love this hotel and they always thrieve to make my stay wonderful. Location is so good. Close to SK tube and with lots of restaurant and bar at walking distance.

Room Tip: make sure you are not given a room with courtyard view. there are the AC engines and can be noisy
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Runaway55,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of us here at The Kensington Hotel. We are grateful to you for sharing your experience of us with the online travelling community.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoy your time with us on every visit, thank you for choosing to stay with us. Your continued loyalty means so much to us. Our team is deeply passionate about offering, you our guest, a first class experience so your kind words means so much to us. I have already passed them on to our team here.

Buon Natale da noi a The Kensington Hotel

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Greek first
Hayling Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

What a great hotel. From the minute you arrive until the time you leave, there is nothing they could not do for you. From the burning scented candles in reception, the warm towels whilst you wait to check in, the amazingly comfortable beds (yes you will need an alarm clock, as you will not wake up otherwise). The Aromatherapy Associates shower gel and shampoo are a must try... stay here and you will not be disappointed. Yes the rooms are small, but as travelling for business, did not spend much time in them so was not a problem... but there were two great lounges downstairs should you want to relax. Well done and look forward to coming back....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear CJD19,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of us. We are grateful to you for sharing your experience of us. I have already passed on your kind words to our team.
We were delighted to read that you so enjoyed your time with us here. Our team is committed to offering you, our guest, a memorable experience. So your kind words regarding the high level of service we strive to achieve mean so much to us.

Wishing you a wonderful festive season, whatever you are doing, and look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

I don't really understand all the good reviews. I have stayed all over the world in hotels and this is in my opinion mediocre at best. The rooms are tiny, the bathrooms are even smaller. The carpets are old nd full of stains. The walls have stains too. I changed room twice and it was about the same in every room. The service is friendly and welcoming. The price is ok for London. None the less it is in my opinion quite far away from 4 1/2 tripadvisor stars

• Stayed December 2012
Dear malte83,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are always grateful for feedback from our guests as it allows us to grow. We were disappointed to read that your room allocation was not to your satisfaction. Thank you for brining these issues to our attention. I have discussed your comments with our Accommodation Manager and I will personally see that they are looked into. We apologise that your experience was not to the standard we strive to achieve. Thank you for you kind words regarding our team, we greatly appreciate them.

We wish you a great festive season, however you plan to spend it, and hope to welcome you back in 2013.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife & I stayed at the gorgeous Kensington Hotel last week as a treat as we had tickets to the The Human League concert at the Royal Albert Hall. We had planned to check-in together but alas the lure of a having the bedroom to herself and of course getting ready for the concert (jeans & t-shirt) meant that the lovely wife checked-in a good hour before I did.. From what I hear and we are quite critical of hotel standards and service; she had a DREAM check-in.. no 'in your face' staff or over eager concierge.. they left her be and provided that most comfortable level of service she has experienced in London.... I had the same when I checked-in also, and a hot towel to freshen my check-in experience (the little things that make it all worthwhile!).
The room was amazing, we got upgraded to a lovely 4-poster bed room which just made the stay even more enjoyable. The bed was SOOOOOOO comfortable and the shower was powerful. After a quick drink in the bar (again the service was truly amazing) we shot off to the RAH. Upon our return we had a lovely welcome by the night manager and the team.
Having to shoot off for an early meeting, my wife fed back on the breakfast and check-out - one word 'EXCEPTIONAL' said it for me and I though she was still suffering from seeing her favourite band the night before!
All in all, the hotel delivered above expectation fro 2 very fussy and demanding travellers and I don't believe I have ever given a hotel 5*, but the team at the Kensington Hotel truly deserve it!

Room Tip: Corner suite/rooms are spacious and the 4poster bed amazing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JDMoola,
Firstly allow me to say how delighted we were to welcome you and your wife as our guests during your visit to London. We were please to know our location and proximity was such a benefit to you.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and sharing your experience of us with the online travelling community. We were overjoyed to read that your experience of us was to your high standard, we are constantly striving to achieve the first class excellence you experienced. We are passionate about offering you a memorable experience so it was truly a pleasure to read that everything during your stay, from check-in, to you room, to breakfast in Aubrey exceeded you expectations.
We wish you, your wife and your loved ones a marvellous festive season, whatever you plans are, and hope to welcome you back in 2013.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just wrapped up a four-month stay in London on business and had the pleasure of staying at the Kensington Doyle the entire time.

I understand that many of the rooms are quite tiny, but I stayed in the spacious #329 which was a perfect place to come "home" to after long days at work. The four poster bed was very large and very comfortable. Often in a hotel, the pillows are a weak link, but I rested soundly every night. My room had three windows which I could open to let fresh air in! So many hotels these days trap you inside with the recycled air, so this was a huge bonus for my sanity.

The bathroom was also very spacious with an "open" shower and a large bath. (I will say that while the shower design is very nice, because there is no door, the floor and bathmat often got quite wet)

The entire staff was always so incredibly helpful and nice and pleasant and welcoming from the guys at the front door to the wonderful women (and men) at the front desk as well as those at the restaurant in the morning and in the sitting rooms in the evening. I can't say enough about them.

The location was perfect with plenty of restaurants nearby as well as two grocery markets just up the street. The South Kensington Underground station is a short five minute walk so getting anywhere in the city was incredibly simple. There is also a Barclay's bicycle rack just outside the door, so on nice days, having that convenience was a huge plus.

The next time I am in London, I won't hesitate to book reservations at the Doyle, not only for a wonderful hotel, but to see my friends again.

Room Tip: I know that many of the rooms are small which may be fine for a short stay, but if you are staying l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I visit London at least once a quarter and after staying at several very expensive, so called "5 Star ", hotels I now stay at The Kensington. Standard rooms are small and only suitable for single occupancy, but Superior and above are fine and the four-poster rooms superb. The showers are excellent with superb water pressure. The thing that sets the Kensington apart from all the other hotels though is the service. EVERYONE wants to help, which is very unusual in London. The Concierge are fantastic and have never failed to book me into a restaurant I have requested. The reception staff are very friendly and the barmen mix some excellent cocktails at reasonable prices (for London). Breakfast is superb with a great cold buffet and all hot food cooked to order (no nasty heat lamps). All the serving staff are attentive and eager to please but not in your face, which I like. All in all a real find and I would recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from Old Brompton Road are quietest.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed there in june - me and my girlfriend. Our stay was very pleasant. Rooms are not that big (which is usual for London) but everything was clean and the service was great. Michel and Alessandro - Bartenders - were fantastic. Every night we had a different drink before dinner.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kensington Hotel? Share your experiences!