“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kensington Hotel

You added The Kensington Hotel to your Saves list
The Kensington Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109-113 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5LR, England (South Kensington)   |
Special Rate
Breakfast on Us !!
Ranked #32 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel is excellent.
Stayed here for a few nights as I was in town for an exhibition. The room was definitely value for money and was light, clean and comfortable. It is a charming boutique hotel and the first thing I noticed is the impressive lounge area, with beautiful and elegant furniture. The fireplaces make the place feel nice and cosy. I didn’t expect this as you don’t see many photos of the impressive interiors on the hotel’s website.
As I was on a business trip it was great to have free wifi, often you have to pay extra for this and it’s pretty expensive. I would stay here again with family or friends, it has a real charm. The staff were all polite and attentive, they were happy to give me restaurant recommendations and help me get around the area.
The location of this hotel is second to none. On your doorstep is Kensington which has lots of great shops and restaurants, plus it’s a short 5 min walk to South Ken tube station. Overall, I had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Jane T.,
I was delighted to read your kind words about our hotel, it's location and our team. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and you took the time to write a review and share your experience. Your willingness to offer feedback is greatly appreciated.

Should you be returning to London with friends, family or any reason we hope you think of us at The Kensington Hotel.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Greek first
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of a few nights at the end of March and overall the experience was fine – nothing special – with one reservation as you will see from the cons below. This review is for room 518 (a superior queen) so won’t be representative of the whole hotel. I have tried to be a specific as possible and openly realize I have been a bit nit-picky.

Pros: Location – 5 minute walk from South Kensington station in a great neighbourhood. Price was not bad (good deal) which made the size of the room not so bad. It is small but it was well planned. As you walked in there was a wardrobe area separate from bed area that made it feel bigger – enough place to park up a couple of bags. Bathroom small but enough counter space and there is a portable trolley to store your toiletries. Hotel provides nice toiletries. As everyone knows, for some reason in the UK there are no outlets to plug a hairdryer in it but one in the closet where a full length mirror is available so you are not necessarily bumping into your partner. Provide chocolates at bed time and there is big screen tv. Also was checked in early when we arrived at 10 am.

Cons:
1.The big con: We like to have a cool room at night to sleep in. Second day there we turned on air conditioning….came back to the room in the afternoon and it vaguely smelt like grease…went out for dinner and when we came back it overwhelmingly smelt like grease. In the am was awoken to an overpoweringly sickening smell of bacon. It was then that we realized the vent for the kitchen is beside the intake for the air conditioning so we were circulating cold greasy air into our room. The next two nights we left the windows open, which was better but you still got some of the kitchen smells. I have no idea what one would do in the summer because the room is on the top floor and in the eaves of the building. Did not complain about it because clearly there would be nothing they could have done during our stay(did not feel like moving rooms 2 days in ) but post it here as I know management reads reviews.

2.Annoying things: Inconsistent staff. On check-in and check-out staff friendly, professional and polite. However, struggled many times to open the door with hands full while doorman was somewhere else and waited 20 minutes before being served in the lounge. Cleaning was spotty…please do not fold back the sheets to my bed and leave a dirty menu for breakfast. Replacement of towels was hit or miss – no replacement of face clothes that were used. Iron and ironing board only upon request (though there is room in closet for one). The towel railing in the bathroom was loose, the knob on the shower came away and I struggled to get in and out of the tub (and it was a bit claustrophobic being in the eaves). The bedside tables too close to the bed and because it is at the same level as the bed I banged my head rolling over on it one night

3.Nit-picky things to note that I only point out because the place sells itself as an upscale hotel - a Mr. and Mrs. Smith hotel - but in my opinion did not quite deliver. A broken light in our room went unfixed the whole time we were there. There was a nice welcome letter when we arrived but for someone else. There is a high noon tea but we were served tea in horrible cafeteria style coffee cups as opposed to china cups for tea (ruining the experience). Very hard pillows. Nowhere to store your own items in the fridge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear Statters,
Firstly I would like to begin by expressing our gratitude for taking the time to write a review. These things take time your feedback as is both valued and useful. We were happy to read that you enjoyed many facilities of our Hotel, including the location, toiletries and chocolates at turndown.
I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion was disturbed by kitchen smells through the vents. We have highlighted the issue with our maintenance team and our service providers and it is being looked into. As to being in a room on the 5th floor in the eaves, we do have a quite a range of room categories that generally cater for most tastes so please do not hesitate to contact any member of our team should you return to London and we can arrange for a room to meet your specific needs.
In regards to your experience of our team here, while I was pleased to read that you found our Reception team friendly and efficient, I was further saddened that you were dissatisfied with other members of our team. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service at The Kensington Hotel and it is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve.
Please think of us on your next trip to London we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Few days ago went there with my friend to celebrate my birthday. As we had the 2 for 1 voucher, we paid half price, but would definitely pay a full price - the afternoon tea was simply amazing! The vegetarian sandwiches could be more interesting, but still really enjoyable! Desserts were the best I have ever had. And the service was really good - we spent there 4 hours just chatting and nobody gave us any kind of gesture to leave - really nice! Definitely will come again!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear EmilyLy,

Firstly thank you for choosing Aubrey at The Kensington Hotel to celebrate your birthday. We were very happy to celebrate with you. We were further pleased to read that you so enjoyed your special day with us, your kind words will be passed along to our team here. Lastly I wanted to express our gratitude for you taking the time write a review and sharing your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Aubrey or maybe even for a stay at The Kensington Hotel soon.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The location of this hotel next to Old Brompton Road means there is a wide range of restaurants covering all sorts of cuisines and price ranges. The Sth Kensington tube station is also very close and on a good line for getting to popular sites.

Similarly to other reviewers, we enjoyed the downstairs rooms, especially with the fire going on a chilly March day. The breakfast gets a bit boring after a few days as the range of the buffet is small and generally unvarying.

Typically for London the room was small but clean and comfortable. There didn't seem to be anyway of controlling the room temperature but luckily the window could be opened to let in some fresh air and the street was quiet. One thing that really annoyed us was that the bar fridge had sealed compartments for each minibar item, which meant it was impossible to put anything of your own in it. The fresh milk that my wife loves to have with her tea had to go out on the window sill in the luckily very cool outside air.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Aussie7leagueboots,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience of The Kensington Hotel. Your willingness to offer feedback is both welcome and appreciated. We were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed the lounge and lobby areas, in particular the fireplaces. Your experience of our breakfast buffet, however, was disappointing; our menus are currently being reviewed by our Chefs we hope you will enjoy it further on your next visit.

In regards to your room while we are glad you found our rooms comfortable and clean we were saddened that you experienced problems. Thank you for highlighting the issue you experienced with your air conditioning unit we have highlighted it with our service providers. As to the mini-bar, it is an automated system however small fridges can be provided upon request.

Should you be returning to London we hope you think of us at The Kensington Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards,

Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is an ok hotel as a place to crash in London. It is not too expensive, ok rooms, in an older building, that is nice in the lobby, lounge and bar, but upstairs looks quite dated and tired. The rooms are ok, but not 5 star. The bathroom I had again was ok, but with a shower in the bath, and a leaking shower screen, it all felt a little tired. It can be noisy, with no sound insulation or glazing of the window in my room, and I doubt in the others, don't expect a peaceful night's sleep. Does the job, probably value for money, ok location for the museums.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible. Avoid rooms looking out onto the Old Brompton Road.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Drivervet,
Firstly I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate these things take time and wanted to extend my gratitude, your feedback as is both valued and useful.
I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion and found your room noisy. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, it is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve. We do have a quite a range of room categories that generally cater for most tastes so please do not hesitate to contact me personally or any member of our team should you return to London and we can arrange for a room to meet your specific needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel is a gem. Cozy rooms but super well appointed. Clean, service and staff are phenomenal. Restaurant and room service very good.

It is a non-smoking hotel. However on my second night I began to smell cigarette smoke filling my room. I called the front desk and was told that my floor the 4th floor was a smoking floor, even though the hotel advertises that it is nonsmoking. They apologized and offered a complimentary glass of wine, but really should tell guests this on check in.

Other then this little hiccup, the place met my expectations.

Also no on site parking, but if you park in front of the hotel at a metered space the valet will keep the meter full so you don't get a ticket.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor - It is a smoking floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear WHS831,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I was thrilled to read that you thought so highly of Aubrey Restaurant and the service you received from our team. I have already passed on your kind words and the are greatly appreciated.
I was, however, disappointed to hear that your experience was tarnished by the fact our smoking policy was not explained to you. This is not our usual level of service. The majority of our rooms and all public areas are non-smoking however we have designated the fourth floor as smoking to accommodate our guests that smoke. On your next visit to London please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly to ensure that you are not allocated a smoking again.

Lastly I would like to extend our gratitude for your review, I understand it takes time we are grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Quiet area, exceptional service. Rooms are very European (very small by US standards) but well kept. We did experience an annoying fire alarm one night for quite some time due to some moron leaving a shower on while they passed out drunk and which took a very long time to turn off which is why I give 4 stars instead of 5. Staff are exceptionally friendly. Tube station is only 2-3 blocks away. Location is good for quiet area but is a ways from the happening parts of central London like Picadilly and Soho. Hotel was expensive by US standards (around $350 per night, 220 pounds) but not by London standards. I don't think there is a really nice hotel in London that is a good value - all the nicer hotels are expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear CedarFallsIowa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of The Kensington Hotel. I appreciate it takes time and were are grateful. I am happy to hear that our staff treated you so well and overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed that your experience was marred by the fire alarm, investigating the source of an alarm can, unfortunately, take some time. I hope you was not too disturbed.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The General Manager

Been to The Kensington Hotel? Share your experiences!