“OK for food, horrid for a night out.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Margarita Loca - CLOSED

Margarita Loca
517-519 Battersea Park Road, London SW11 3BN, England (Clapham / Battersea )
+44 20 79242772
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: La isla bonita has now replaced margarita loca. We are a new latin american cocktail bar and cantina serving the latest food trends of pulled pork, hamemade burgers, steaks on a board, cuban and mexican tapas sharing plates, over 70 tall cocktails, late bar till 2am on friday and saturday, with strict smart dress only- a hollywood style experience !
London, United Kingdom
“OK for food, horrid for a night out.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We'd seen this place a few times and always said we'd give it a go. Maybe it was the colourful decor or party atmosphere that drew us in on a cold Monday night. It was empty, the music was loud so we weren't off to a rockin' start. I can appreciate what the owners were trying to create when they opened this place, a restaurant come bar with a party atmosphere. In reality though it is a little garish (this fact compounded by the large sombrero hats that are on each table). I can imagine people do put them on after having a few too many Caribbean Peach cocktails (£5.95).

This is certainly not a place you'd go to for a romantic dinner, more a lads or girly night out. This fact was realised when I saw that Tuesday is Señorita cocktail night, Sunday is a BBQ fun day, Friday & Saturday a late cocktail night, and on Thursdays happy hour is extended to 8.30pm.

The food was good though. Having read a few reviews before going we decided not to get two mains because of the large portion sizes. So we opted for Beef Nachos (£4.95) followed by a Chicken Chimichanga (£8.95). The Nachos came with a generous amount of Sour Cream and Guacamole, but no coriander to be seen. The Chimichanga came with rice and salad. We also asked for some extra hot sauce, Chipotle based, rather good, and free. All in all the meal was fairly priced, and yes the portion sizes were relatively generous but not overwhelmingly huge. I'd be hard pushed to say the food at Margarita Loca was authentic. It's Mexican and Cuban inspired for sure, but more Mexican-American or Tex-Mex.

The service also left a little to be desired. We had to wait for some time to get our bill, which was confusing as no other customers were in there.

Margarita Loca

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Atrocious.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Without doubt the worst Mexican food I have ever had the misfortune to endure. The waitress acted as if it was the first time she had ever seen the menu. I had tacos which were thin, limp and flavourless with a filling alledgedly meant to be beef but looked and tasted like it used to be chicken once a long time ago. The taco sauce was a thin, watery mess and there wasn't a refried bean in sight. The atmosphere was as bad as the food with loud-mouthed student types knocking back tequila and becoming louder and louder as the night progressed. An ordeal from start to finish.

London, United Kingdom
“Sombrero Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Friendly service on a quiet Friday evening. Very generous portions and suitable background music. This is a great place for an office outing but we were a couple and still enjoyed the food and atmosphere.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Below average to be honest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went here for my birthday with three of my friends. As soon as we came in I got to choose where to sit. Our waitress could barely speak any English and during ordering I asked to change my order. The food that came out for me was completely different. I'm not one to put up a fuss so I left it and ate it. My friend also tried to ask a question but our waitress didnt have a clue so she called over the over waitress who said to my friend to WAIT in a very rude which I didn't appreciate. I got quite a lot of food for the price I paid which was good. After food they brought out MY birthday cake and placed it in front of my FRIEND even though we told them it was MY birthday! My friend quickly pushed it to me which was less embarrasing. However the whole restaurant sang happy birthday to me which was nice. After cutting the cake we ordered cocktails which were alright but quite overpriced. Then there was a whole Palava about the bill all because the waitress could barely speak English! We asked her to pay separatley and get our change separatley but that didn't happen and I ended up paying more than what i ordered. The manager who came over to sort it out was quite rude. So no points there for management. Overall the food was ok but I don't reccommend going there for your birthday if you want to experience a rude manager, rubbish English speaking waitresses and overpriced cocktails.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen
“Great party atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Superb cocktails!
Came here with two friends for a meal and drinks, they had a very tasty choice for both the meat eaters and vegetarians of the group but it was the choice of cocktails that impressed me the most. They had a vast variety to choose from and all were presented so beautiful like how i imagine a cocktail would be, sugar coated rims and umbrellas! Cute!

Visited April 2013