“Convenient but very cramped studio” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Think SE1 Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Think SE1 Apartments
You added Think SE1 Apartments to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   169 Tower Bridge Road, London SE1 3NA, England   |
Ranked #240 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Manchester
“Convenient but very cramped studio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked a studio apartment here for one night because I needed somewhere with parking. Our studio was not in the main building, but in a separate location further down Tower Bridge Road. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and check in was quick and efficient. The studio was tiny, and a very odd shape. The double bed was fine and the bedding was fairly good quality but there was a bedside shelf unit on only one side of the bed which was inconvenient. The shower room was a good size but it had just a frosted glass sliding door that was right next to the bed, which was a bit off-putting. The window only opened a fraction and looked out on to a messy yard and the wall of the next door building - luckily, there was a fan in the room, as we were there on one of the hottest days of the year. The kitchenette facilities were good - a sink unit, fridge, microwave, electric kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, a small dishwasher and a washing machine and crockery and cutlery - although there were cups but no saucers, which was a bit odd. There was no full length mirror, so this studio would not be a good option if you want somewhere to get ready for a big night out.

The car park is at the main building at 169 Tower Bridge Road and cost £10 per 24 hours, which is not that bad for London.

The studio was adequate for one night but felt very small and cramped, so I would probably not choose to stay there again. I think there are some bigger studios in the other building or even in other parts of the building we were in, but when you book, you do not know which location you will be staying in.

The location was convenient for the South Bank, with a bus stop outside for buses that go to Waterloo Bridge and there is a small Sainsburys nearby, but this is not somewhere to stay if you want bars, cafes and restaurants on your doorstep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carina S, On behalf of CEO at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. We were pleased you and your partner enjoyed your overall stay and would like to take this opportunity to comment.

Within our Tower Bridge property we have a selection of apartments available within our portfolio which enables us to cater for all our guests’ needs and requirements. Should guests have specific requirements including room allocations requests it is important these are highlighted at the time of booking and we will endeavor to accommodate this, however subject to occupancy and availability.

The apartments themselves are facilitated with all the necessities one would need in a home away from home and although the studio apartments, such as the one you booked on this occasion, entails the majority of the facilities within our larger apartments, for future stays you may be more comfortable booking one of our larger categories which has more space throughout. I would recommend our 1 Bedroom Open Plan Apartments and also our property at Bermondsey Street if you want bars, cafes and restaurants on your doorstep.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Jim Souter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Well thought out one and two bed apartments in central London at economy hotel prices. Good value for families - kitchens well equipped with proper stoves, refrigerators, washing machine etc. We have now used the Think Apartments many times and quality is consistent. We also stayed in one of their two-bed 'executive' apartments - the property itself was great - very spacious for London, with very large open plan Kitchen, dinning area with large table for eight, and living room area. It was in an old warehouse conversion so had character that made it memorable - wooden floors and wood-beam ceilings, exposed brick-work etc and did not feel like a 'hotel-room'. The downside was that the kitchen in this particular unit was starting to look a bit tired and was not very well equipped with dishes, pots etc and the bedroom furnishings were the same as in all the other apartments, meaning the beds were on the small side, when their was plenty of room to have bigger ones. So our conclusion was that the 'executive' apartments are nice for the extra space, but would not qualify for the categorization other-wise.

You do also get noise from the railway lines - especially in the 'executive apartments' as these are closer to the lines and as they are conversions of old buildings the windows are not as good. We were not bothered by this, but some people may be bothered.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by train-noise, then use one of the other two Think apartment locations nearby w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Philippa W, on behalf of Jim Souter at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us at Think Tower Bridge (Maltings). We were pleased you have enjoyed your experiences with us and look forward to welcoming you back to London on your return.

On a 6 month basis we do conduct planned preventative maintenance (PPM) whereby every apartment is checked and improvements are made where necessary. This may include but is not limited to the apartments being fully re-painted, furniture being replaced, window coverings being changed, or kitchens and bathrooms being modernised. We are constantly looking at ways in which we can improve the overall comfort and design of our apartments to ensure our guests have everything they would need in their home away from home and ensuring that the standards of our apartments are maintained. Within all apartments (aside from Twin Bedroom Apartments), all beds are queen size configuration to ensure consistency across our portfolio.

We do have some apartments within our Tower Bridge property which are located close to the train line with slow approaching trains into London Bridge Station with 20mph restrictions in place. We are constantly introducing measures to decrease the level of noise and sincerely apologise that on this occasion you were affected. Should a guest prefer to be located away from the train line then we encourage them to contact a member of our 24 hour Reception who will happily assist.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My family stayed at the Think apartments for two nights in two apartments with two bedrooms over New Year’s Eve and I was very happy with our stay.

I really liked the location of the apartments which are ideal for visiting Tower Bridge and surrounding attractions include The Shard building. It’s a ten/fifteen minute pleasant walk from London Bridge underground and train station through some interesting streets with quirky shops and bars/restaurants. There are a number of supermarkets and convenience stores close by and a nice park, I nearly forgot I was in London as the area was really quiet.

The apartments are obviously well used but we didn’t experience any problems with the accommodation and were very happy with the rooms. The apartments were nicely sized and comfortable and clean, the kitchen was fully equipped as we did some cooking and the bathrooms were small but with a good powerful shower. We also had access to free Wi-Fi throughout the rooms. Even though it was New Year’s Eve we didn’t hear any noise from surrounding rooms or guests and slept really well. The building itself is quite interesting and there is a nice café that serves breakfast at the opposite end to reception. The only minor point was that we found it hard to reach an acceptable temperature as the rooms were quite warm. There was also no lift to our apartments, just winding stairs, and my grandparents struggled a little bit but I’m not sure if this affects all floors.

We didn’t have much interaction with staff at the apartments but they were professional and check-in and out went smoothly. The staff were understanding when we accidently broke a wine glass and didn’t charge us a replacement fee unlike some places that would take advantage of the situation. Reception also stored our bags free of charge until our train departure.

Overall, we were happy with our experience and will definitely consider returning. For groups, the apartments are much more cost effective and practical than hotels, staying here felt like a home away from home and I find having more access to in-room facilities compared to hotels gives more choice of how you spend your time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Philippa W, on behalf of Jim Souter at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Think. We were pleased you had a faultless stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next stay in London.

The apartments available within our Tower Bridge property do vary with some having lift access and others without. Should a guest have specific requirements then we encourage them to communicate these upon booking or directly with either the reservation team prior to arrival or our reception team on arrival. Should we have the availability to do so then we will always accommodate guest’s requests including apartments with lift access.

In the event that a guest needs any assistance with the facilities in the apartment our 24 hour reception would be happy to assist and help guest’s get the apartment to the preferred temperature. As the majority of our apartments work on under floor heating, it can take a couple of hours for the temperature to heat or cool and reach the set temperature.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in London.

Farnsfield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here for just three nights with work. I usually stay at the CitizenM or Premier Inn at Bankside as they are nearer to home but they were full and my work booked me here as an alternative, even though it's a 45 minute walk to my office. I was grateful for the walk along the Thames after a long day in the office.

Check-in was fine, friendly helpful staff. There was a guy in front of me kicking off and the girl dealt firmly but fairly and quickly with him. Good stuff.

The building is attractive and glassy from the outside and pretty 'industrial' (unfinished!) inside, though you should know that there are two locations really near each other because I went to the wrong one first. You probably will too. it's not far to the right one, though.

The rooms are super nice, the biggest room I've had staying in London. The blinds broke the first time I used them and the cooker was fine but when I tried to cook anything, the heat seemed to set off the smoke alarm located conveniently right overhead. In the end I just didn't bother and I ate out which is probably the idea. There are no mugs, only tiny dainty little cups. Again I guess you're supposed to go out to get a big coffee.

The shower was good, though the cubicle was small and a bath would have been good. Whoever decided that was the right location to put the soap tray (right where your arms/back go) must not have had a human shape body or something but the water was hot and that's the main thing.

I didn't use the gym although there seem to be lots nearby, and I really wanted to go to Rooney's Boxing Gym under the arches nearby but never got the chance. Next time.

I loved the bit on the website about how the lack of any kind of bar/restaurant will 'help you avoid those awkward solo meals', yes, please save me from those wonderful opportunities to meet other people and share some humanity on my travels.

The location is the main strength of this place. right next door is a sunny little park with the prerequisite mixture of drunk people, sunbathing people, skipping people, dogwalkers, reading couples, etc. Then there's a Sainsbury's so you can buy loads of things that will be tricky to cook but there's also lots of bars and places to eat.

I enjoyed the Shortwave Cinema, right next to Sainsbury's, I went to see the Danny Boyle film Trance. It's a lovely little cinema in the back room of a bar, friendly staff, I was one of four people in attendance. It was really busy when I left so I stopped for a drink to sample some of that awkward solo feeding behaviour the hotel had warned me wouldn't be available at their establishment.

I can see how if I had my family with me, this place would be superb, as a business traveler, I missed the breakfast and bar although the location *nearly* makes up for it.

All in all a positive experience, and next time the CitizenM Bankside is booked up, I'll probably request this place rather than the foul Travelodge at Waterloo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think Tower Bridge. We were pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

With regards to your comments on the blinds, the smoke detector and the cup size, I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and assure you that this has been highlighted with our team in Housekeeping and Maintenance to be investigated and corrected. Although for health and safety purposes, it is important to provide smoke detectors in the apartments, they should not be sensitive to cooking and only set on if something has been either burnt or is on fire. In the event that a facility does not seem to be working as it should, it is important this is highlighted to a member of the team so that we are able to address this. All apartments should now have mugs rather than cups as we understand from previous guest feedback that the size of the mug is important to guests in their home from home experience. We have searched the Think Apartments website for reference to ‘awkward solo meals’ but cannot find this content. Please let us know where you saw this reference.

For future stays with us at Think, please feel free to make use on our on-site cafe, @thekitchen, for your breakfast requirements. The cafe is open week days from 8am.
Thanks you once again for your feedback.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have now stayed at this accomodation twice in the last two months. Most recently last week I stayed in a 5 person apartment. When I arrived the greeting was the usual warm and welcoming one, I was swiftly checked in and given all the passwords for the WIFI for all 5 of us to use during our stay.

The 5 bedroom apartment was huge, it had built in underfloor heating which was brilliant on a cold night. The rooms were spacious and the sofa bed was a large double sofa bed which could of slept another couple if needed.

The one issue we had was no bedding for the sofa bed, we alerted the reception about this and they swiftly delivered pillows and bedding to our room within 10 minutes which was great.

I definitely recommend this accomodation, perfect location near the Shard and Tower bridge and the london bridge underground and the Tower bridge underground.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Philippa W, on behalf of Jim Souter at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think Apartments. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay on your return to London.

Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent four nights at Think and it was great. Convenient location with bus stop at street and within a 10 minute walk to the undergrounds. Papa John's Pizza and a good little grocery store are just south of the apartments. With a full kitchen and a good sized living area it was perfect for having family stop by for breakfast before sightseeing. The staff was always friendly and happy to call cabs or give us information. We will definitely stay there next time we are in London!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Philippa W, on behalf of Jim Souter at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. We were pleased you had an enjoyable experience with us and found the amenities in the local area useful. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to London.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business, easy and smooth check in service, clean and simple apartments! Some wear and tear to walls in the corridor and rooms that bring down the overall look and would cost nothing to improve.
Easy access to Borough Tube, about 5 mins walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Think SE1 Apartments, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we have recently decentralised our Maintenance Team so that now we have dedicated team members for each property focussing on the proactive and reactive maintenance needed. This has greatly enhanced the pace of our refurbishment programme and planned preventative maintenance (PPM) of all apartments and the communal areas including receptions and corridors alike.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Chief Executive, Think Apartments

Been to Think SE1 Apartments? Share your experiences!