“Not that great...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Two Point

Two Point
26 Crawford St, London W1H 1LL, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 77249079
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Merseyside
“Not that great...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked this place because of the reviews on here and travelled a fair distance to get there as well so I hoped for good things. Standing outside the place, my initial thoughts were that it didn't look like a thai restaurant - It looks like a small boozer right next to a fruit and veg shop... but I was persuaded by my partner to give it a chance. We ventured in to find a dated bar interior given some well-needed asian charm with some thai imagery at the back of the restaurant just in case you thought you were in the wrong place. We were then sat tightly in between two other couples who were sandwiched that close that they stopped talking as the whole seating arrangement then felt intrusive and awkward. It was too late, we were committed now and I had to stick with it... I was getting blinded by a bright light which was behind the till and it felt like I was being interrogated so I had to keep my head down to avoid it as best I could. We ordered from their shiny wipeable laminated menus starting with the platter for two which was warmed up pre-prepared thai starters that you'd find in any asian supermarket. Their green curry was actually okay but nothing special. Our waitress didn't smile or make us feel welcome. One of the couples next to us was given plates by someone wearing a winter coat after he'd came in from the street which seemed completely wrong to me. It all amounted to a really depressing unwelcome atmosphere and I couldn't wait to leave.

I'm not sure why this place gets so many rave reviews.. This isn't a great Thai restaurant by any stretch and the atmosphere, food and decor all seemed to amount to a regrettable experience and I'd urge anyone who loves Thai food and knows how lovely and welcoming these people can be to avoid it at all costs.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Nice but not Thai”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a very nice meal here BUT it wasn't Thai food - more like a Thai version of Tex-Mex, or Chicken Korma/Tikka Massala i.e. perfectly tasty and enjoyable but not in any way authentic. The red curry, for example, was very nice but so lacking in spiciness that it was almost like a slightly zingy tomato soup.Of course, authentic Thai cuisine is often much too spicy for western palates and some compromise is probably a good idea for business but I think Two Point have gone a step too far towards the west. Our dishes consisted of peas, carrot, courgette and green bell pepper - all very tasty but I would prefer Thai ingredients in my Thai food - there are plenty of sources for authentic ingredients in London so why not use them? Because peas and carrots are much cheaper I imagine.
I feel bad writing this - the staff were absolutely lovely and the meal was still delicious (and extremely good value) - I just think they could keep EVERYONE happy by adding just a touch more authenticity.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Great thai food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great thai food at very reasonnable price. The service is nice and atmosphere nice.
Good address if you live in this area !!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Massachussetts
“Excellent Thai at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Summary: Casual restaurant, The food is basic fresh thai and excellent for the price. A lot of choice on the menu They have a bar and seating with wooden chairs and wooden tables. Seats about 40 people.

I went to Two Points based on reviews on Trip Advisor. I was not disappointed. The restaurant is off the main roads, but in a nice neighborhood. There are other restaurants around it, but Crawford St is a residential area. The restaurant is not large. The décor is typical of most London restaurants, but it is not fancy, no white table clothes or cloth napkins, so it is casual as others have mentioned.

Here is the good:

1. Food is fresh and hot. I started with Crispy wontons with a sweet chili dipping sauce (3.75 BP), which were freshly fried, not too greasy and had a filling of pork and shrimp. I had the red curry, which had plenty of white meat chicken and red curry sauce(6.95 BP) and a side of white rice (2.30 BP). The curry was a 2 pepper and was accurate on the spice index. The portion was a good size.
2. The service was good and the food was prepared quickly. My total bill came to 16.45 BP with a Singha beer (3.45 BP)
3. Atmosphere is casual. There were only a few people at the bar and 4 other tables taken, so it was not loud

The only thing to be aware of, is that they don't take American Express, like many other small establishments in Europe, the cost is too much

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Warm and friendly Thai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable bar/ casual restaurant distinguished for us by the most pleasant staff who seem only too pleased to advise about the food/ wine, and serve it with eternal good grace even when one is eating the most simple fare. Excellent value for money in a part of London where one can easily get nasty surprises.