“Not a great experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 2 NIGHTS GET 10% OFF
Ranked #470 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

London has many small boutique hotels and this is one of them. While I didn't have high expectations, I must say the pictures on the website are very deceiving. I was placed in one of the "club rooms" which make you think it is better than the non-club ones. Well, the room literally can only fit a bed, a very small desk (with NO chair since there is no room), a tiny little closet, and a bathroom. Given I was on a business trip, not having a proper desk and a chair was major inconvenience. I ended up having to work on the bed, which was uncomfortable.

What bothered me was the bathroom door is a frosted glass, which lets through a tremendous amount of sunlight. Even though the room has blackout curtains, they were entirely useless because the light was coming through the bathroom door. I did not sleep very well.

Breakfast was ok/decent. It is the same breakfast being served everyday, so it can get tiring very soon if you are staying for more than a few days.

Transportation-wise: this is a good location. Less than 5 minutes walk to Paddington station and about 7 minutes walk to Lancaster Gate. You can get around very easily.

While I did not interact with the staff much, I do have a large complaint to make. On the day of my departure, I had asked the front desk staff to call a taxi for me. He agreed to do so right away, so I waited in the lobby patiently. 5 minutes passed by, 10 minutes passed by, 20 minutes passed by, nothing... I had inquired about the status of taxi several times, and the staff who called the taxi reassured me it's coming several times. All in the meanwhile, several empty taxis drove by the front of the hotel... When the taxi eventually arrived, it was 35 minutes later, and it was a personal sedan with a sticker in the front windshield that indicated "private hire only". This leads me to believe that the staff perhaps was doing his friend a favour by using their service, instead of calling a large taxi company that he should have. This is unprofessional, and nearly caused me to miss my flight at Heathrow.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room if you can
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, today
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park!

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us your feedback helps us to maintain our standard.

Please write to me dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com with your booking details so that I can investigate on it further.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to hear back from you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Didn't even manage to get inside the hotel, got a call saying no hot water in any of their rooms. I was "suppose" to get an email redirecting me to another one of their hotels, which never came... tried to contact them.surprise surprise no answer. called back the next day asked for a refund. Did not get it. on top of that i got accused of staying in the hotel as well!!!! Absolute Joke!!!!

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

A tiny little boutique hotel with tiny little rooms...
BUT, the service is great, the team is friendly, the beds are compfy and the rooms have all you need. Free internet and fast, a tiny gym, great breakfasts and close to everything!!

Room Tip: Upstairs is very hot in summer and the air con struggles- so downstairs room if it is hot!! Upsat...
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share this lovely and detailed review! I am very pleased to see that your expectations were met during your stay with us, and that your second room was comfortable in the end, despite your concerns about the room being warm.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you plan to return to London, and it would be my pleasure to personally assist in any way possible and ensure you will be provided with a nice room to ensure an unforgettable experience for all the right reasons.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I booked this on the Internet and book a deluxe room with breakfast.
My partner had a phone call on the day we were arriving to ask us to go to another hotel due to maintenance. He said no as we had a business appointment in the area.
We arrive to be put in the smallest room, which in my opinion should have had a single bed in you just couldn't move.
I did complain they couldn't do anything that night but did pit us In a slighty bigger room the next day.
The breakfast was OK no complaints there

Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be more than happy to assist you and would certainly keep bigger size room for you. I would love to meet you personally and we look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service. Please write to me when your plan your trip to London at dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.

Devon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Room was nicely designed and spotlessly clean. Good value for money and a good choice of hotel if staying in London and needing to be near Paddington station with easy access into and around London. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, thank you ever so much for having shared honest review!

I am pleased to know that you received the value for you money and enjoyed the comfort of our modern rooms and the services.

We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Arrived for a three day stay in London to take in a concert at Hyde Park.We arrived at the hotel 2 hours early and staff were excellent and allowed us entry to our room immediately. Room was excellent and well equipped for all our needs. No noise at all during the the night and wakened up refreshed in the mornings. Staff couldn't be more helpful and we thouroughly enjoyed our break . Hotel is situated in a fantastic location only 10 minute walk to hyde park . Can't rate this hotel highly enough !!!!

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London, thank you ever so much for having shared this fabulous review!

I am thrilled that your experiences were exceeded on all fronts throughout your stay with us, and greatly look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time your travels take you to London, and it would be my pleasure to assist in any way possible to further enhance your stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here when I had to come down on business but brought hubby and daughter for them to spend some time in London.
The hotel was conveniently located and check-in was relatively prompt. The room was pretty nice for a triple, was clean and very comfortable. Just two little things let it down. The first, the heat in the room was stifling despite using the air-con. I think the heat came from the bathroom. The second niggle was that there wasn't a mirror at the dressing table. Small things.

Breakfast was good with English breakfast buffet plus meats, cheeses, fruit, croissants etc.
I'd recommend it.

Stayed June 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share this lovely and detailed review! Your feedback is very important to us. I am very pleased to see that your expectations were met during your stay with us, and were also presented with the warm hospitality by the amicable staff, despite your concerns about the concern about the AC.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!