“That's OK. ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 2 NIGHTS GET 10% OFF
Ranked #468 of 1,050 Hotels in London
“That's OK. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We were transfered from the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International due to water problems. The Metropolitan is a 4 star hotel, also near Hyde Park, which is a extremely good location. It's neighborhood is very calm, with superior status. The Paddignton is within a 5-minute walk.
Outside, there are parking lots, if needed. Checking in is quick process, being needed a security deposit (credit card) to be refunded days after check out. Rooms and bathrooms are not spacious (probably 6m2 and 2m2 respectively), remembering the Ibid Budget in their sizes. The quality, of course, is better. The bed is very comfortable. There is one wardrobe with a big electronic safe inside (enough for a laptop), and a clothes iron. There's a TV, air conditioning, which you can control (it's does not get very cold, thought). It was leaking in the first night, which was quickly repaired). In the bathroom, the towels are larger than usual and the water has steady temperature and good flow. The size of the bathroom is a bit annoying.
There's also a compact gym. The restaurant has a very simple design. Usually, the breakfast has salsichez, 3 or 4 kinds of bread, fried mushrooms, eggs, bacon, Nutella (happy breakfast han?), beans, iogurtes, juice, teas, a coffee machine (where you can ask for a cappuccino). When not included, the breakfast costs 12€.
It's a good hotel with a good price (for London) and a great location. Probably not unforgettable, but if you choose it, it will probably be a nice stay.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We enjoy a single night stay at the Shaftsbury where the staff were helpful and very obliging. We had a club room and so were presented with complementary fruit and a half bottle of wine which was a nice touch. The only slight negative was a mircowave whihc had been used to reheat curry and the smell lingered a little.

Room Tip: Club room has a few extras
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review following your recent stay with us at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and Park and for your honest review which is very much appreciated.

I am pleased to know that you received the value for you money and were also presented with the warm hospitality by the amicable staff.

We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I booked this hotel for one night, based mostly on the fact it was within walking distance to Paddington station, the price was good as were the reviews on TripAdvisor. I stayed at a different hotel in the vicinity last time I was in London that wasn't very good and I wanted to try something different; I'm glad I did.

I arrived early to leave my luggage until I could check in, but the receptionist was kind enough to let me check in early. Very welcome after a night of no sleep. Clean, quiet room. On the small side but very nicely decorated and perfectly fine for one person. The shower was good and there was plenty of hot water. The breakfast was fine. Friendly staff and there was a pub just across the street. I really can't fault a single thing about the hotel and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, thank you ever so much for having shared this fabulous review!

I am thrilled that your experiences were exceeded on all fronts throughout your stay with us, and were also presented with the warm hospitality by the amicable staff.

We greatly look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next stay with us and provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed here as a treat for a special occasion - but there was nothing special about our experience.
After paying extra for a Club Room, I was horrified when we were shown to a gloomy bedroom in the basement, with broken air conditioning. I asked reception if we could be moved, and was told that the room we'd be given was "one of their best rooms"(!)
We moved to a room on the top floor, which was much smaller but at least we weren't in the basement. Despite having a window, the bedroom was drab and dark and looked nothing like the hotel's bright, nice photographs. The fridge didn't work and the "included bottle of wine" was actually two thirds of a bottle of wine. The air conditioning in this room was also broken, and had to be operated from reception.
Breakfast is not worth the money - don't bother. The hot food looked so unappealing that I just had cereal. As for the staff, I've never known people to be so rude and inconsiderate of their guests. The whole time we were there, staff rearranged the furniture - but instead of picking it up, they dragged it across the tiled floor, which made a terrible noise. They also slammed fresh cutlery/crockery on to the tables - everything echoed and it was so noisy and unpleasant that we left after less than 10 minutes.
On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the rain shower was lovely. Reception staff were also helpful when we wanted to change rooms. However, this was not enough to redeem our stay here. This is not a 4* hotel and I would never go back here, nor would I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This small London Hotel In Sussex gardens is definitely the best we have stayed in in this venue. Being close to Paddington station and not far from the shops in Oxford street, Piccadilly and Theatre land it is ideally situated for a short visit such as ours, when we were also meeting up with friends.
Reception was quick easy and welcoming.. Porterage was willing and able. Our room, a classic room was very clean with a more than adequate en suite. Wardrobe space good with the usual amenities, Iron, safe hairdryer etc. TV fine. Breakfast, full English included in what we thought was a very reasonable room charge. We will certainly choose to stay there again and recommend to friends All in all well done everybody at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We enjoyed our stay at the Shaftesbury.
The room was clean, the bed comfortable and
although the room was bijoux it was very nicely decorated.
There was no traffic noise so we had a good nights sleep.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The hotel is only 6 minutes walk from Edgeware Road tube station.
We Would recommend this for a couple or solo traveller.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 6 days ago

Dubbo, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for four nights in a standard double room. I was travelling solo and the room was big enough for me- however if with a partner and you both have large suitcases you will need a bigger room as they are very small.
Helpful staff and very clean hotel.
Beautiful area of London

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Gourav G, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us your feedback helps us to maintain our standard.

Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be more than happy to assist you and would certainly keep bigger size room for you. I would love to meet you personally and we look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service. Please write to me when your plan your trip to London.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.

Lakshmi
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!