“Excellent hotel - very cosy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #544 of 1,073 hotels in London
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel - very cosy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My boyfriend bought me a 2 night/3 day trip to London for Christmas and we decided to go here because it seemed to be close to Hyde Park (a place I really wanted to visit). We travelled by National Express and got dropped off in London Victoria bus station, which is about a 45 minute walk to the hotel if you have some sense of direction where you are going, but that didn't bother us because we enjoyed the walk up there.

When we arrived the staff were pleasant and helpful, we were approached with a smile which was a very welcoming start. We took the elevator up to our room, which was our only downfall about the whole trip as my boyfriend had paid for a deluxe room, but we only got a double which was a lot smaller but I did find it very cosy. My boyfriend confronted the staff about this however there were no deluxe rooms left, which was disappointing.

The location is good, but obviously you do have to walk around a lot if you're in London so that didn't bother us. There was an Underground train station just around the corner a little further down the street and we used this to get to The London Dungeons and Madame Tussards. There are also several restaurants for you to eat at (we ate at an Italian place called Zonzos) so there is plenty of choice.

The beds were very comfy and even though the bathroom was a little small, it didn't bother us because we had enough room to have a shower. The room came with a hairdryer, kettle, tea and coffee, and some hangers in the wardrobe. An incident that did happen though was when we first got to our room, my partner was changing into a different set of clothes and the maid walked into our room without knocking, luckily he had just finished getting changed but I did have a small problem with that.

Overall the hotel is lovely and clean and I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

760 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Clean Hotel and
Beautiful
Friendly staff and wifi is good.
But rooms are Small and bat. Very tight.
I saw the water in bath look like milk color i dont no what is the reason.
I think it is Expensive. I hope visited it again with low price.

• Stayed August 2014
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Hadimo90,

Thank You for your review in regards to your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan. I am most happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the over all hospitality.

We hope that you will visit us more often and I will be looking forward to welcome you back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

...and just three because there's no breakfast included. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our club room was neat although small (but you just go there for some sleep, right) with really comfortable bed, nice bathroom and an air conditioner to adjust room's temperature, which was great because we like to sleep in a cooler environment. Room was a bit noisy during the day time. You could hear everything what was happening in the hallways, but it was silent at night. Wi-fi was free and worked really well in room.

There are plenty of cafes and restaraunts, grocery store (Marks & Spencer) and Edgware Road tube station nearby.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Jenseri,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan Hotel.

In regards to your feedback I am most happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and as a result rated us high on the various aspects of the hotel product and the service.

Additionally, may I take the opportunity of this moment to inform you that at Metropolis we also have a variety of selection for Breakfast both Continental and full English specially for all our guest who reservations are exclusive of breakfast package.

Simultaneously, we also have various in house promotion on our breakfast which many of our guest benefit from.

I am sure that you will give us many more opportunities in the future to welcome you back and experience the best of the hospitality we have to offer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a really nice stay here for one night, booked last minute. Originally booked other Shaftesbury hotel in Bayswater, but got transfer to Metropolis, and was very happy with stay. Clean, good checkout time, took care of us during stay! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2014
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear James M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan Hotel.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I can also see that you have rated us high on all the aspect of the hotel.

We hope that you will give us many more opportunities in the future to welcome you back and enjoy the best of the hospitality we have to offer.

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We only stayed at this hotel for one night but wish we'd booked longer.
Nice quiet location but within 5 minutes walk of shops, restaurants and Hyde park.
Check in was fast and easy and the reception staff were lovely.
The room was really nice, no view unfortunately but only because we were on the side - the room itself however more than made up for this.
Tastefully decorated, air conditioning, quality furnishings and everything you could need (fridge, plates, microwave, free wi fi, hair dryer etc) all made our stay more pleasant.
The restaurant was downstairs and I was worried it may be too warm and opressive - I needn't have worried - it was a large, airy room with a lovely selection available - and for a small charge we could have had it in our room.
We'll definately be going back here !

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Divingdiva Preston,

Thank You for your review in regards to your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

I am most happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and have rated us high on the overall hospitality.

I will additionally vouch for the location of the hotel which is one of its salient features.

I hope that you will make many more visits in the future and enjoy the hospitality we have to offer.
Looking forward to welcome you back.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was never going to give this hotel a rave review. Quite why / how it is ever described as 4 star I'm now sure, but a problem on check out really sealed my dissatisfaction (see "HOWEVER" below).

The hotel is a small end-of-terrace townhouse that's been converted into a hotel. It's like many in London, with small rooms off narrow corridors and annoying steps that you have to drag your bags up.

I was upgraded to a club room which makes me wonder what the normal rooms are like. There was barely enough spare space to put up the ironing board the room helpfully came with, and the "desk" was a small table with a stool.

Whilst this is on the small end of the scale, it's not uncommon in London - it's on old city. On the plus the room was fairly modern and only the creaking of the bed and the slight musty smell were signs that it could do with a refresh.

In short, before I checked out, my view would be that it's fine for a business traveler - free WiFi - for a night or two if you want to be in this area. For tourists or couples - probably OK if you just need a bed and a base, but a couple sharing a room is going to be tight. If you get a cheap deal (sub £125 in 2014 prices) and like the area it's OK.

HOWEVER, when I checked out, what I thought was a simple request became a bizarre argument. All I wanted to do was leave my bag - but until the next morning.

No dice. Firstly it was company policy, then it was for security (theirs) then security (my stuff). Of course if I was returning to the hotel in a day or so it would have been ok. That of course doesn't tally with their security concerns.

This specific issue may not impact many people, but to me it was indicative of a general unhelpful attitude.

In short: stay here if it's cheap but don't expect (or ask) for much.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small, so try and get a large one. You might want to ask for a room with step free ac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Ben B,

Thank you for your writing your review in regards to your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan Hyde Park.

In regards to your stay I have taken a note of the areas of concern that you have raised regarding the rooms and can assure you that it will be addressed at the earliest .However as you may appreciate that we always try to accommodate all our guest request within all possible parameters.

It is also good to see that you have reviewed us high on the location which I will certainly vouch for along with the overall hospitality that we offer.

In regards to the overall rating of the hotel we always have a professional body AA who review us on a periodical basis and rate us accordingly for the overall service and the product and have certified us a 4 star hotel.

Additionally, in regards to the storage of the guest luggage overnight, we always advise all our guest the alternative arrangements which can are in place. I am sure that one of the team member must have advised you regarding the same at the check out.

I hope that you will consider us in the future for your next stay and we hope that you will enjoy the overall hospitality we have to offer which many of our guest experience.

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It is a very good hotel, the service was very good, the room itself was very good and clean but there was only that the rooms where very very small. I good a good night sleep, it was very cozy and I would most likely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ásdís L

Thank you for your review and giving us a high rating on the overall hospitality. We really appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us many opportunities in the future to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,
Operations Manger

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!