“Last minute - night getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #548 of 1,073 hotels in London
“Last minute - night getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Had a really nice stay here for one night, booked last minute. Originally booked other Shaftesbury hotel in Bayswater, but got transfer to Metropolis, and was very happy with stay. Clean, good checkout time, took care of us during stay! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2014
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear James M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan Hotel.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I can also see that you have rated us high on all the aspect of the hotel.

We hope that you will give us many more opportunities in the future to welcome you back and enjoy the best of the hospitality we have to offer.

757 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We only stayed at this hotel for one night but wish we'd booked longer.
Nice quiet location but within 5 minutes walk of shops, restaurants and Hyde park.
Check in was fast and easy and the reception staff were lovely.
The room was really nice, no view unfortunately but only because we were on the side - the room itself however more than made up for this.
Tastefully decorated, air conditioning, quality furnishings and everything you could need (fridge, plates, microwave, free wi fi, hair dryer etc) all made our stay more pleasant.
The restaurant was downstairs and I was worried it may be too warm and opressive - I needn't have worried - it was a large, airy room with a lovely selection available - and for a small charge we could have had it in our room.
We'll definately be going back here !

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Divingdiva Preston,

Thank You for your review in regards to your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

I am most happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and have rated us high on the overall hospitality.

I will additionally vouch for the location of the hotel which is one of its salient features.

I hope that you will make many more visits in the future and enjoy the hospitality we have to offer.
Looking forward to welcome you back.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was never going to give this hotel a rave review. Quite why / how it is ever described as 4 star I'm now sure, but a problem on check out really sealed my dissatisfaction (see "HOWEVER" below).

The hotel is a small end-of-terrace townhouse that's been converted into a hotel. It's like many in London, with small rooms off narrow corridors and annoying steps that you have to drag your bags up.

I was upgraded to a club room which makes me wonder what the normal rooms are like. There was barely enough spare space to put up the ironing board the room helpfully came with, and the "desk" was a small table with a stool.

Whilst this is on the small end of the scale, it's not uncommon in London - it's on old city. On the plus the room was fairly modern and only the creaking of the bed and the slight musty smell were signs that it could do with a refresh.

In short, before I checked out, my view would be that it's fine for a business traveler - free WiFi - for a night or two if you want to be in this area. For tourists or couples - probably OK if you just need a bed and a base, but a couple sharing a room is going to be tight. If you get a cheap deal (sub £125 in 2014 prices) and like the area it's OK.

HOWEVER, when I checked out, what I thought was a simple request became a bizarre argument. All I wanted to do was leave my bag - but until the next morning.

No dice. Firstly it was company policy, then it was for security (theirs) then security (my stuff). Of course if I was returning to the hotel in a day or so it would have been ok. That of course doesn't tally with their security concerns.

This specific issue may not impact many people, but to me it was indicative of a general unhelpful attitude.

In short: stay here if it's cheap but don't expect (or ask) for much.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small, so try and get a large one. You might want to ask for a room with step free ac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ben B,

Thank you for your writing your review in regards to your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolitan Hyde Park.

In regards to your stay I have taken a note of the areas of concern that you have raised regarding the rooms and can assure you that it will be addressed at the earliest .However as you may appreciate that we always try to accommodate all our guest request within all possible parameters.

It is also good to see that you have reviewed us high on the location which I will certainly vouch for along with the overall hospitality that we offer.

In regards to the overall rating of the hotel we always have a professional body AA who review us on a periodical basis and rate us accordingly for the overall service and the product and have certified us a 4 star hotel.

Additionally, in regards to the storage of the guest luggage overnight, we always advise all our guest the alternative arrangements which can are in place. I am sure that one of the team member must have advised you regarding the same at the check out.

I hope that you will consider us in the future for your next stay and we hope that you will enjoy the overall hospitality we have to offer which many of our guest experience.

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is a very good hotel, the service was very good, the room itself was very good and clean but there was only that the rooms where very very small. I good a good night sleep, it was very cozy and I would most likely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Ásdís L

Thank you for your review and giving us a high rating on the overall hospitality. We really appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us many opportunities in the future to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,
Operations Manger
Purbach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Romm 816 without window (only window to a Lobby) - no fresh air.
AC with a scent of tobacco!!
breakfast never the price worth (we got it complimentary because of the removal from another Shaftesbury)
One female receptionist was very nice and helpful!

Room Tip: never take a room in the lower floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Waltraud2501,

Thank You for your review regarding your stay with us. I have taken a note of your comments regarding the room and could only assure you that we will look in to a planned work were it is possible. However due the fact that the hotel is a listed building there is a limitation to any major work which can be carried out.

Additionally, we have a good selection of breakfast with revised price for both full English Buffet and Continental which many of our guest benefit from who only book on room only rates.

We hope that you will visit us more often in the future and give us opportunity to extend the best of the hospitality we offer.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

cosmopolitan bijou hotel, very helpful friendly staff.
clean, well equiped room, excellent air conditioning, lovely crisp white sheets on the beds however, very small; twin bedded room.
I left my purse in a taxi after having been to a SHOW AND A MEAL.
THE MANAGER Mr CHETAN was extremly helpful and very sympathetic
rather expensive for such small rooms.

Room Tip: check if they have bigger rooms,
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Joan C,

Greetings from The Shaftesbury Metropolis Hotel and thank you for writing your review in regards to your recent stay.

It is very encouraging to hear your kind words of appreciation regarding the great customer service you received during your stay.

I hope that you will visit us more often and enjoy the best of the hospitality we have to offer.

Kind Regards,
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

At a stone's throw from Hyde Park, 5-min walk from the Paddington station and 20-min walk (and about 10 mins by metro including a walk to the station itself) to Oxford Street, this hotel enjoys a great and pretty quiet location.
My room (single) was really small, but very tidy and the bed was comfortable.The staff is really friendly and helpful.
Overall, I liked the hotel and to me it was value for the money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Alina M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolis. I will certainly vouch for your comments regarding the hotels location as it is very centrally located and is connected to all major tourist attractions making it a preferred choice for all our guest.

Additionally, I am glad that you enjoyed the overall hospitality and we hope that you will visit us more often in the future.

Operations Manager

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!