“Fab overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #552 of 1,073 hotels in London
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Fab overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here for my partners birthday fantastic hotel they upgraded us as we were celebrating. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were very clean and luxurious. Breakfast was fantastic lots of choice from continental to a full cooked breakfast. The hotel was a few minutes walk from Paddington station. The pub opposite was a lovely pub with a great atmosphere also around the corner where some amazing eateries. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Apurv S, Operations Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear James F,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Shaftesbury Metropolis Hotel. I am most happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and have rated us high on value, service and the room conditions.

I can certainly vouch for the hotels location as it connects to all the major tourist attraction and public transport.

I will additionally pass your compliments to all our team members who have provided a great customer services.

I hope you will give us various opportunities in the future to welcome you back and enjoy the best of the hospitality we have to offer.

754 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

On the up side, the hotel is in a very good location for central and west London. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast was good and good value - having it for more than 3 days brought the cost down to 9 pounds a head. There was also a good, free WiFi connection. On the down side, the room (015) was small (to be expected in London), and dark, as the window faced out onto a corridor and the curtains had to be closed all the time. The ac seemed to be on a timer as it regularly stopped blowing cold air into the room.

Dear AlAinDrom,

It is always good to hear when our guest rate us high on our product and service, which further encourages us to deliver the best of the hospitality.

I have also taken a note of your comments regarding the Air Conditioning and we hope to rectify it at our earliest while ensuring we are acting as an energy efficient and responsible organisation towards our enviourment.

We hope that you will give us various opportunities in the future to welcome you back.

Lund, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The whole story started already before we checked in, just when we arrived at the hotel. The first thing that we encounter is a person having trouble with his room, and is in need of a change. He seems to be transfered to the basement. Not a good start, and we hoped that we would avoid any trouble.

Our check in went fine and we were given a room on the second floor. We unpacked and discovered that the rooms were very small, the toailet were kind of unclean, and shower claustrophobic. As the location were ok, we thought we would be able to stay there at least, even though we are used to, and expected better.

We went out to the streets of London and came back later and started watching some TV. After about 1h my girlfriend screams there is a "rat" in the room. I discovered it was a grey mouse running across the room, around our stuff. It seemed to be scared of us and ran fast in under the furniture which hosted the fridge (there were air intake under).

I took my mobile and turned on the light to see under, it was extremely dirty. Impossible to see a grey rat with all that grey dirt. We found a pile of "something" (maybe poo), and a "stick" which look kind of like a spine or tail - bones. You know, wave-shaped.

I went down to the reception to get things sorted, they did not react very much, just smiled a bit. One followed up and look a short while and said the 2 things found were "wood parts". So I went down again and said we can't stay on a hotel that hosts guests like that.

We were told, on the first time that we could change room (we did not want that) or cancel the reservation and have to pay for the whole day (that it was Hotels.com we had to claim for money back).

So... I went down to cancel and book another Hotel, have a nice vacation and sort this crap out when we came home. To find out that he takes our room-cards/keys and tells us to wait while he solves it. Good? No.

We wait for about 10-15 minutes while we hear several other guests have problem with their rooms. And when we go back to get status update, he tells us that WE need to call Hotels.com, and that he can not cancel the reservation. I ask him why he have taken our key-cards then, as we still have the room and not canceled it, and he can't do anything. He just smiles.

So... I call Hotels.com and they get my booking reference, what happens now? The call gets transfered to the hotel we are at and they speak very quite (probably in the room behind). Wants to move us to another room (like all other guests that had problems). We said no and that they still will change us (which they claimed were Hotels.com earlier).

Finally we get away for that mad house I would not recommend it to anyone!

Wifi was crap also.

Do NOT book it.

Dear Daniel N,

Thank You for your review regarding your recent visit to The Shaftesbury Metropolis Hotel.
I have read your comments in detail and I am most apologetic to hear about your overall experience.

Additionally, I have made a detail investigation with the relevant departments and ensured that all relevant measures are taken with immediate effect.

We at The Shaftesbury Hotels take the guest Health & Safety very seriously and I can ensure you that all possible elements which may cause the re occurrence of such incident in the future have been eliminated.

We have also informed our local council about the same and as a result they have done the required inspection and implemented all necessary measures.

I will be most happy to look after your next planned visit and I will be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel to make the necessary arrangements.

Once again,I hope that the above assurance will reinstate your faith with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My CEO and I stayed here as cheaper alternative to the Hilton where our conference was being held. Its location is really good, easy walk from Paddington St up Praed St and easily accessable to Hyde Park and other transport lines.
We were in Club rooms as other Tripadvisors advice was the other rooms were "swing a cat" ones so we avoided that by paying a bit more. The rooms, 104 & 105, were nice enough, clean with and roomy. The only issue was that they were really warm and muggy, we turned on the a/c but I was unable to adjust the temp on mine and it blew air not con so didn't help the temp at all.
There was construction work outside my room during the day but it was quiet enough at night and due to our conference attendance I was never disturbed by any road noise.
The layout of the hotel is maze like but if you leave a trail of crumbs you'll be able to find your way through no worries.
I only ate brekky there once and it was ok, nothing flash, but nice enough.
The staff seemed happy and friendly too.
Overall probably a bit pricey for what you get but in saying that it was cheaper than the Hilton and nicer than Tune and its location was great and the staff were nice too.

Room Tip: 105 or 104 Club rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay and also for your comments about our staff.

Our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities. Yes, we do have different style of corridors due to structure of the building. I also would like to comment about the air conditioning as it can be adjusted by changing the module. I wish you have brought this to our attention while residing, we definitely had the console adjusted as per your need.
However, I request you to allow us opportunity in future to make your stay pleasant and memorable.

Donegal Town, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

stayed a week in this hotel - room was not too small given the size of london hotel rooms. noise wasn't an issue breakfast was a help yourself buffet- hpt and cold and plenty of options. You can't have dinner here, but that wasn't an issue for me . the staff were very helpful and the hotel is a five minute walk from paddington station and many nice restaurants. centre of london about 5 stops on tube also.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and for your honest review which is very much appreciated.

We are indeed pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory in every aspect and was comfortable too.

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and we will pass your comments to concern staff as provided.
We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was on a business trip and stayed at the hotel early July 2014. The staff were very friendly. Although my room and bathroom were a bit small, they were very clean. The hotel also had free and efficient internet service which was very convinient. I plan to stay at the hotel again on my next trip to London.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for the lovely comments on staff as well as service provided to you here at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.
As you mentioned about the Room size, I request you to please email me directly and I will make sure we allocate room with good size on your next visit. We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com .

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Cleethorpes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here on Business at the start of July, the room I stayed in was very small, but clean and welcoming. The bathroom was equally as small. I only stayed one night and didn't eat here, so cannot comment on food. £200 for the room seems a little steep but I was in London.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for the comments about your stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.
Please be informed that we do have larger rooms & I would like to request you to give us an opportunity to arrange bigger room for you. Please let me know about your future visit to do the arrangement.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.