“Silver wedding anniversary” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #548 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Silver wedding anniversary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for a romantic break with my husband. I reviewed it on google and trip advisor and thought the rooms looked perfect and it was a good location. When we arrived we were given room 009 which is on the ground floor at the front of the hotel. The double bed was next to the window with only one nightstand. The room was small and the bathroom was a wet room. I contacted reception to check we had the right room as this was hardly delux and was told it was. Probably ok for a single person not expecting much but I had seen lovely rooms with a bath in the photos. The road outside the window was busy most of the night. Hardly romantic.

Room Tip: We didn't try the pool or fitness centre but coudnt unclick. If you get room 009 you must look o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
02077237723

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We decided to have a few nights in London and found this hotel in between Paddington and Edgware Road with good bus links in to central London.
The room was well present and suited our needs perfectly. It was at the front of the hotel, but we never noticed any traffic noise.
Breakfast was included in our rate and was very nice and all the staff (without exception) were polite, helpful and friendly. All in all an excellent stay. We'll be back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and for your honest review which is very much appreciated.

We are indeed pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory in every aspect and was comfortable too.

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and we will pass your comments to concern staff as provided.
We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

After searching the internet for a half decent hotel that was reasonably priced, we came across this one and we weren't disappointed. Check in was quick & easy & staff helpful & friendly. The room had 2 beds - 1 double and 1 single which was a little odd as there was just 2 of us but it was extra space for our shopping bags! Bathroom was a little small but had a nice big shower! We will stay again if we go back down to London.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our rooms & staff.
We hope to see you again very soon & you can certainly write to me dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com for any assistance you may require.
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times on business trips. Great hotel - good value and location. Check in was a breeze. Nice staff. Got a quiet room. Only stayed one night on this occasion (but have stayed many times and would definitely recommend and would stay again!).

Room Tip: Try and get a club room - nice duvet, big comfy bed & chocolates on pillow with a complimentary...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was delighted with the reviews I'd read and the flash deal I got of £65 b&b. I opted for a single room as I was solo in London for one night and it saved me £6. Great location as it is a 5 min walk from Paddington station, perfect for the Bakerloo and Jubilee lines.

The room was bijou but cosy and well equipped. It suited my needs. The en suite wonderful, tho the mirror positioned a little high for me at 5' 1" but very clean and the shower one of the best.

The downside for me was the room was in the basement, with no natural light. A curtained window revealed an enclosed 'courtyard' with no natural air. Needless to say the room was VERY warm. There was an aircon unit but during the night when I was too hot to sleep, despite the obvious on/off switch for the aircon I could not get it to work and could find no instructions. My sleep was therefore very poor and I awoke with a bad headache from being so hot.

I suspect smaller rooms are all in the basement so I would recommend paying the extra and booking a double room; hopefully with a window!

The breakfast was phenomenal and the staff very pleasant and obliging. Full English or continental available.

Room Tip: As stated avoid basement rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. However, I must say that , Our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities. I request you to give us another opportunity to allocate you an higher floor room. Kindly email me prior to your stay to do the necessary arrangements on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you very much.
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel was very clean and tidy, staff were very polite and courteous, breakfast was good value and very nice. With easy reach of several tube stations. Accommodation was very reasonably priced.would go back again for a weekend break, close to Hyde Park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Ian,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in London and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
I was very happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and I am very pleased to know that you would be coming back to stay with us should the occasion arise.

If there is anything I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Roberta Monticone
Hotel Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park hotel is one of the closest Shaftesbury hotels to Paddington station, so makes walking from the station to your accommodation fast - so its a very convenient location.

The reception is nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly. When I stayed during the week checking in was very fast and Was given a room on the ground floor. It was spacious and decorated to a good standard with a large TV with many cable channels. There is internet included and the bed was comfortable.

Some London hotels can get noisy sometimes, but the Metropolis was peaceful and quiet. Even though the windows are not double glazed ( usually this is because of regulations of old buildings) I had a quiet night's sleep. The only street noise I heard was when I woke after 7am.

I immediately found a table to sit down at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was really tasty and the staff were again friendly.

My check out was a breeze and so I arrived for my work meeting on time and refreshed ( which is not always the case when I have stayed in cheaper hotels).

I would recommend the Shaftesbury hotels, and in the Metropolis may be my current favorite place to stay because of its convenient location, friendly staff, good quality rooms and a nice breakfast.

A great good value 4 star for a short stay in central London, if you're there on business or for pleasure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I was extremely happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and in particular I was very pleased with your comments with regards to our staff.
It is very nice to know that you consider us your current favourite place to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance, now or in the future.

Kind regards,
Roberta Monticone
Hotel Manager

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!