“Short business trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #544 of 1,073 hotels in London
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Short business trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times on business trips. Great hotel - good value and location. Check in was a breeze. Nice staff. Got a quiet room. Only stayed one night on this occasion (but have stayed many times and would definitely recommend and would stay again!).

Room Tip: Try and get a club room - nice duvet, big comfy bed & chocolates on pillow with a complimentary...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Kind Regards
Gourav Gupta

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was delighted with the reviews I'd read and the flash deal I got of £65 b&b. I opted for a single room as I was solo in London for one night and it saved me £6. Great location as it is a 5 min walk from Paddington station, perfect for the Bakerloo and Jubilee lines.

The room was bijou but cosy and well equipped. It suited my needs. The en suite wonderful, tho the mirror positioned a little high for me at 5' 1" but very clean and the shower one of the best.

The downside for me was the room was in the basement, with no natural light. A curtained window revealed an enclosed 'courtyard' with no natural air. Needless to say the room was VERY warm. There was an aircon unit but during the night when I was too hot to sleep, despite the obvious on/off switch for the aircon I could not get it to work and could find no instructions. My sleep was therefore very poor and I awoke with a bad headache from being so hot.

I suspect smaller rooms are all in the basement so I would recommend paying the extra and booking a double room; hopefully with a window!

The breakfast was phenomenal and the staff very pleasant and obliging. Full English or continental available.

Room Tip: As stated avoid basement rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. However, I must say that , Our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities. I request you to give us another opportunity to allocate you an higher floor room. Kindly email me prior to your stay to do the necessary arrangements on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you very much.
Kind Regards
Gourav Gupta
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel was very clean and tidy, staff were very polite and courteous, breakfast was good value and very nice. With easy reach of several tube stations. Accommodation was very reasonably priced.would go back again for a weekend break, close to Hyde Park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Ian,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in London and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
I was very happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and I am very pleased to know that you would be coming back to stay with us should the occasion arise.

If there is anything I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park hotel is one of the closest Shaftesbury hotels to Paddington station, so makes walking from the station to your accommodation fast - so its a very convenient location.

The reception is nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly. When I stayed during the week checking in was very fast and Was given a room on the ground floor. It was spacious and decorated to a good standard with a large TV with many cable channels. There is internet included and the bed was comfortable.

Some London hotels can get noisy sometimes, but the Metropolis was peaceful and quiet. Even though the windows are not double glazed ( usually this is because of regulations of old buildings) I had a quiet night's sleep. The only street noise I heard was when I woke after 7am.

I immediately found a table to sit down at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was really tasty and the staff were again friendly.

My check out was a breeze and so I arrived for my work meeting on time and refreshed ( which is not always the case when I have stayed in cheaper hotels).

I would recommend the Shaftesbury hotels, and in the Metropolis may be my current favorite place to stay because of its convenient location, friendly staff, good quality rooms and a nice breakfast.

A great good value 4 star for a short stay in central London, if you're there on business or for pleasure.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I was extremely happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and in particular I was very pleased with your comments with regards to our staff.
It is very nice to know that you consider us your current favourite place to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance, now or in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night in early November 2013 on business.

I found the hotel easily, just a short walk from Paddington station. Check in was quick and easy and I found the room quickly. The room itself was well equipped, the bed comfortable, shower had plenty of hot water, and the TV had a good range of channels.

The downsides to my stay were:
- No room service (their website states they have room service) so if they do it was not listed in my room with menus, etc
- No room welcome pack with info of what's in the area or even a number to call to speak to reception
- No proper hotel bar

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in London and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I was happy to read that you had a pleasant stay with us even though we didn't manage to exceed your expectations; we provide room service only for breakfast and for a selection of drinks, as unfortunately our restaurant is open only for breakfast and we don't have a bar.
There should have been a guest directory in the desk drawer with a list of our facilities and local amenities, I am really sorry if this was not the case in your room.

However, I do hope you will be staying with us again in the near future; please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights whilst in London for business. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room a bit on the small side but had everything I needed, including FREE WiFi which worked at a good speed. Bed extremely comfortable, bathroom compact but adequate for my needs and the shower was powerful and easy to control.

As a single guest it was great and at an attractive price compared to some of the other Chain Hotels in the area. I would definitely use this little gem again when I am in London.

Great Malaysian restaurant less than 70 metres from the hotel. Definitely worth a visit but be warned they don't serve alcohol.

Room Tip: I had room 014. Its on the ground floor at the front of the hotel so some road noise but no noise fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me start with many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to London. Guest's feedback is very important to us and help us to achieve high goals in this industry.

We were all please to read your feedback where you enjoyed your stay with us and would love to stay with us again and again. Kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and allow us to look after you again.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having stayed at a different Shaftesbury hotel and absolutely loving my experience there, I had high hopes for this hotel. The location is great and the reception staff VERY welcoming and helpful, but my basement room was incredibly stuffy and somewhat worn down and the only window I had led out into a corridor. The internet connection in my room was not very reliable and I was only informed after check-in that the air conditioning was not operating. The walls of the room were also very thin - I could hear water running in the next room whenever my neighbours used their bathroom, which, coupled with the sound of footsteps from the floor above and people shuffling to the restaurant for breakfast was very disturbing early in the morning. Unfortunately, I can't help but compare my experience here with its sister hotel where I paid much less and had a far more enjoyable stay. Breakfast at the Metropolis was generous and decent but not that great. I am thankful I paid a discounted price because I do not believe a basement room is worth full price (if they are all like the one I stayed in).

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but definitely avoid a basement room if the air-conditioning...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for leaving your feedback on this website. Guest comments are precious to us as they help us to improve more.

I'm sorry to know that you didn't like basement room and had some inconvenience between your stay. Your mentioned flaws has been forwarded to concern department for not to be repeated.

Kindly give us another chance to restore your faith with us and allow us to look after you.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!