“RE: Had high hopes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #550 of 1,073 hotels in London
London
“RE: Had high hopes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having stayed at a different Shaftesbury hotel and absolutely loving my experience there, I had high hopes for this hotel. The location is great and the reception staff VERY welcoming and helpful, but my basement room was incredibly stuffy and somewhat worn down and the only window I had led out into a corridor. The internet connection in my room was not very reliable and I was only informed after check-in that the air conditioning was not operating. The walls of the room were also very thin - I could hear water running in the next room whenever my neighbours used their bathroom, which, coupled with the sound of footsteps from the floor above and people shuffling to the restaurant for breakfast was very disturbing early in the morning. Unfortunately, I can't help but compare my experience here with its sister hotel where I paid much less and had a far more enjoyable stay. Breakfast at the Metropolis was generous and decent but not that great. I am thankful I paid a discounted price because I do not believe a basement room is worth full price (if they are all like the one I stayed in).

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but definitely avoid a basement room if the air-conditioning...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for leaving your feedback on this website. Guest comments are precious to us as they help us to improve more.

I'm sorry to know that you didn't like basement room and had some inconvenience between your stay. Your mentioned flaws has been forwarded to concern department for not to be repeated.

Kindly give us another chance to restore your faith with us and allow us to look after you.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Room number 007 was baking hot but the aircon didn't work. Front desk couldn't fix it.

The room is located under what sounds like a kitchen. At 0900 a blaring radio was turned on, heavy footsteps and shouting made sleep impossible.

Lots of flash up front in reception but the rooms are tired albeit well-cleaned. Bathrooms were good.

Room Tip: Avoid 007 it's hot and noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read about your stay at the hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.
Thank you for your remarks and I must state that we have renovation in place & due to this there was a noise issue. However, we will certainly consider this before allocation similar room to our future guest.
Once again thank you for your feedback and Please contact me directly for any further reservations and I shall make sure we restore your faith back in us.

Best regards
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Friendly and accommodating staff great location for getting into London 6 minute walk from Paddington great breakfast. Highly reccommend this hotel good value for money for London Prices - Good rates on bookable.com early checkin was really helpful.

Room Tip: all seem good
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to read about our team’s friendliness.

We will surely wait for your next visit & always be motivated to give you warm welcome back in the near future.

Best Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I returned to this hotel for a second time. The service, the staff, the cleanliness was nothing less than excellent. All the staff was happy and always smiling. From the time we arrived until the time we left nothing was a problem to the staff. The breakfast again was good choice.
When I read other reviews from guests who say the hotel rooms are small or the breakfast is poor I cannot believe what they are saying. Don't be put off by these comments this hotel is a super place to stay and the location is very accessible to get anywhere around London, with Paddington station and Lancaster gate tubes being so close. I recommend you give this hotel a try you will not be disappointed. We stayed many hotels in London and the Metropolis will always be our no 1st choice. We cannot forget to mention the girl at reception Monica she was very nice and always ready to help...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our staff.
It will be a pleasure to have you back.

Kind Regards
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel is very nice. The rooms are not that big, but big enough (if you don't stay in your room all day). Everything is clean and the rooms are made up every day. It's near a bus station (even for night buses) and close to Paddington Station. The Price-Performance Ratio is also good. Me and my boyfriend were positively surprised. You have a little refrigator and a water heater to make free coffee and tea. There's also a microwave.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & other facilities.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Kind Regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've travelled a lot in the UK and abroad and stayed in many different establishments so I feel that i can fairly rate any hotel based on my experiences. This hotel, whilst not substandard, was very disappointing. It did not make for an enjoyable stay.

The room was very small, even for central London and apparently it was not even the smallest when I checked with reception! You couldn't swing a cat in it and it made one feel claustrophobic. I'm baffled how it got a four star rating: it's a three at best.

The hotel staff were unimpressive, they hardly smiled or acknowledged our existence during our stay. I think this is because they took payment upon arrival so it's maybe a case of 'now we've got their money we don't have to bother'?

For a business traveller looking for somewhere to sleep and not spend any time in the room then the thing going for this hotel is that it is in a very central location. However, it is quite expensive for what you get (i.e. very little!) and there are very little in the way of amenities (e.g. no trouser press, shoe shine, etc.).

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park due to transfer from other hotel.

Our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities. However, please do let us know about your future stay & we will try to upgrade your room to higher category, which are much bigger in size.

Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be happy to assist you. You can write to me on - dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

situated just off Edgware road so ideal for tube and paddington mainline station and to avoid congestion charge if driving. Very small rooms I would say 3 star quality at best. Didn't have breakfast so cannot quote on the food

Dear Guest,

We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observations.
We hope to see you again very soon.
kind Regards
Gourav Gupta

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!