“Disappointing and tiny room” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #527 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Disappointing and tiny room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

After seeing the photos on the website, I was looking forward to staying at this hotel. Upon entering the room, I was gob smacked at how small it was- there was no space for walking around or putting anything down at all. Also, I didn't get a good nights sleep all weekend and neither did my partner. There was some sort of banging all day and night, as if there was some redecorating going on in the room next door. I was disappointed and simply wanted a relaxed weekend but I got the total opposite! The only positive thing is the location- it's a short walk to paddington station.

• Stayed September 2013
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Gourav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stay at this hotel most weeks and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, nothing too much trouble. The rooms are always clean and functional and the breakfast good. Some great deals available so very competitive

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We are really pleased that you always enjoyed staying with us. It was a pleasure to read about our team’s friendliness and breakfast.
Please do let me know about your future plans & any special assiatnce you may required.
Look forward to see you soon.
Best Regards
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We came across this hotel at the last minute after our original accommodation in London fell through so I wasn't able to do as much research as I normally do. Quaint London boutique hotel. The rooms were extremely tiny so we upgraded to a Club room, however this was only slightly larger, but the bathroom was bigger. It would be fine for the solo traveller but if you are travelling as a couple be prepared to be stepping over each other. Never the less - the staff were unbelievable - the service was exceptional. They were helpful with every single thing we needed or asked for. We were able to book all tours through the front staff, as well as transfers & taxis. They provided advice and were so genuine and friendly - 3 in particular but I only remember one of their names - Deshney. The hotel is well located. - walking distance to many restaurants & pubs, Paddington underground and Oxford street main shopping strip.

Room Tip: choose a club room as the bathroom is bigger than their standard room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services and work on any flaws.

Whole team was really please to read to kind comments here on this website and everyone feel proud that they were able to meet and exceed your expectation with us.

It was our pleasure to serve you and kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Best Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for the night this week for a whopping £269 and whilst clean and tiny... I mean tidy the room was ridiculously small! Also despite paying a small fortune we didn't even get breakfast! Good location when you finally find it but not worth the money!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed in a few of the Shaftesbury hotels in London, so was not put off by some of the reviews noted previously.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, and within walking distance of Paddington station. WiFI, which is important, was readily available without the curse of a slow connection.
The staff were welcoming, friendly, courteous and helpful. Having arrived hours before check-in time, leaving my luggage for the day was simply done.
The double room, whilst not that spacious, was comfortable with sufficient room to relax following a round of business meetings. Breakfast, although an additional cost, was rather good without the restriction on cooked or continental breakfast. In short, recommended and would look to stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor double room used as single occupancy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to personally thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments to all staff.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I called ahead to confirm my reservation and inform them I would be arriving late. I felt this was a good idea based on some of the negative reviews for this chain. I arrived at Paddington at about 10:30 PM and since the hotel didn't seem to be on the map anywhere, I grabbed a taxi. The taxi driver had no idea where the hotel was either and ended up dropping me off in front of a building that was being renovated. I walked down the block a bit until I found another hotel with someone to ask. They pointed me in the right direction. (A bit more advertising would be great).

I arrived and got checked in and had to sign my life away with passport number, next destination, etc. I was given my room key to 306 and asked if I need help with my luggage. I would have liked some information about what time breakfast was and check out and all that but I was too exhausted to ask.

I discovered my room 306 was upstairs (elevator) but then down a corridor and up and down a few steps and corridors. I couldn't figure out how to get the lights on and when I called, they told me to put my key card in the slot behind the door which I hadn't seen in the dark. That worked. I cranked the air conditioner as low as it would go (18 degrees C) because I was hot and sweaty. The air conditioning unit is above the bed which worked great for me because I'm almost always hot when I sleep and have allergies so I like air blowing on me. The room is tiny - the length of a twin bed and a little wider. It was wide enough for me to open my suitcase and rearrange some things for easier traveling. There are European and American outlets and a desk and a luggage stand. The bathroom is very nice. It's clean, has a basin, toilet, shower stall, shelf for toiletries and towels. The bed is very hard and the pillow soft. I was so exhausted and sick from a nasty cold that after I stopped coughing I fell right asleep. I woke up to pull the duvet over me and cough some more and then fell soundly asleep. With earplugs in, I didn't hear any noise at all ... not even my alarm clock.

I overslept and intended to check out and grab some breakfast at Paddington on the run but a nice staff lady told me I had 10 minutes before the buffet closed. I nice girl in the restaurant took my order for tea and brought it over right away. I just had toast but only because I'm the world's pickiest eater. There was a variety of food and it looked good.

I didn't get to take advantage of anything else the hotel had to offer because I was running late. I asked directions back to Paddington and found it was only 3-4 blocks. I followed everyone else with suitcases to the Heathrow Express.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again if I ever find myself in London for a night or two.

Room Tip: 306 involved going down corridors and up and down a few steps. There's no view but the room is q...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and we will pass your comments to concern staff as provided.
We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

after reading all the negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive about our stay. but we have no complaints at all, we got a friendly greeting on arrival, the room was fine, with fresh fruit and a bottle of wine awaiting us. The breakfast was very nice. and the hotel was in the perfect position for exploring London with the tube only a 10 minute walk away. A very enjoyable midweek break.

Room Tip: look for expensive hotels offering great deals
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Best Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!